• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First day SJPdP to Orisson

batty

Time of past OR future Camino
may or september 2024
I watched a youtube video which said that there was a lot of road walking one day 1.
Could someone clarify this please, am i going to be on the road for most of the first day without a road shoulder trying to maneuver around cars.
Thaank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I watched a youtube video which said that there was a lot of road walking one day 1.
Could someone clarify this please, am i going to be on the road for most of the first day without a road shoulder trying to maneuver around cars.
Thaank you
Not many cars. You'll be on a small secondary road most of the way to Orrison.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thaank you
if you watched a U-bend video you'll have noticed how many vehicles passed the walkers on the road. If you need further re-assurance just watch another 50 or so U-bends of the same walk and count the vehicles. I doubt you'll get to 50.

I've never walked the Route Napoleon. I've never seen the point in climbing a completely unnecessary hill. That said most of the common guides seem to suggest that the route splits something like 50/50 between quiet country road and off-road track

By the way, if it's raining and muddy, you do not have to take the cutoff to the left that goes up a muddy trail. Just simply stay on the road. It's really no longer and will be very quiet road walking all the way to Orisson. It curves around to the right a bit, then back around to Orisson. Easy Peasy and I actually prefer it.

Same thing going down into Roncesvalles. If it is raining that trail down through the beech forest can be slippery as snot. Take the road to the right down instead. Just as pretty and much safer.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @batty. I walked that path again just a few weeks ago. Agree with @J Willhaus and the video from @trecile gives an idea.

It was as glorious as I recalled from earlier times. A few vehicles from time to time but more often, cows, sheep, horses and other walkers. Certainly no manoeuvring around cars required, even on the first 8 kms up to Orisson. In that section, be sure to walk on the left side, i.e. facing the oncoming traffic.

Regarding the descent, this time we took 'the road' rather than the steeper path through the forest, which can be tricky at the best of times. Calling it a 'road' sells it short - it was a delightful walk often not on road at all. We saw no vehicles. About 1.5 kms from Roncesvalles it merges with the path coming from the Valcarlos Route for a pretty walk into Roncesvalles. I'd do it again. As @Anniesantiago said 'just as pretty and much safer'.

If you have the opportunity and the weather in your favour, I’d highly recommend the Route Napoleon, whether you do it in one day or two.

Attachments

• IMG_1271.jpeg
    IMG_1271.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1279.jpeg
    IMG_1279.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thaank you
I think I saw maybe 3 cars between St Jean and Orrison. Many more pilgrims than cars.

if you watched a U-bend video you'll have noticed how many vehicles passed the walkers on the road. If you need further re-assurance just watch another 50 or so U-bends of the same walk and count the vehicles. I doubt you'll get to 50.

I've never walked the Route Napoleon. I've never seen the point in climbing a completely unnecessary hill. That said most of the common guides seem to suggest that the route splits something like 50/50 between quiet country road and off-road track
We walked the unnecessary hill for the incredible beauty of it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thaank you
I can only speak for myself to say that I missed a turn-off that would have taken me up a very steep path. Instead, I ended up on a narrow asphalt road that zig-zagged the whole way up to the Orrison. It was scary. I strongly suggest that you don’t miss the dirt path.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thaank you
Enjoy it!!! Hardly any traffic on that road when we were on it. Hope you aren't in the blizzard at the top we were in!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back