• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Draft pack list. Assembling for training. Suggestions?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pyotr_Miley said:
First draft packing List, approximately one year in advance of trip, April 2013.

Well, that's being prepared!

But often it isn't what you put in your rucksack that is most important but the weight of the things you put in your rucksack. Pack all of this and weight it and let us know the result!

John

Thanks. I think the old Boy Scout in me is taking over and I'm trying too hard to be safe that far from home. Some of that surely isn't going. I'm a 6'2" 220 pounder. Trying to keep it as far under 20 pounds as possible. The big four, the pack, tent, bag and mat all together come in under 8 pounds so it's a good start.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pyotr_Miley said:
First draft packing List, approximately one year in advance of trip, April 2013.
Wow! That's a pretty long list of......cannot-live-withouts.
First off all, remember that you will be walking in a reasonably civilized country, where you'll need a passport and a health insurance policy;
Secondly, pack all those items which you mention into your 38 lt. Osprey backpack and consider what ultimately seems essential;
Thirdly, consider that many items which you listed can be purchased or handled locally;
And finally: check this Forum with its rich experiences concerning travel and walking the Camino.
Still plenty of time, enjoy your preparations. It's part of the excitement!

Wow - proliferation of ziplocks but, yes, I am sure that at least some part of that may be wanted if not entirely needed. It sounds very much like a lot of clutter in there, unfortunately. Much could be sought along the way - often worry and anxiety can lead to such profuse packing. Practice with all of this stuff and then follow the same route a few times without it - it will feel so much more benign having less load to bear.
My next camino is to be by bike - I cycle daily in preparation and often with the full load of gear. Less really is more. I've spent time swapping items for lighter, less bulky gear and avoiding taking things at all when possible. It is time and thought well invested for what is to come.
It really is worth experimenting, reducing and avoiding excess mercilessly and rigourously. It will make the journey so much better and enable you to focus on what really matters more.
Less stuff.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And in comparison

Wearing - ron hills, merino jumper, socks, shoes, hat.

Carrying - 12L rucksack, spare socks, cut off ron hills, shirt, jacket, sleeping bag, wallet+passport+phrase book+boarding pass, tiny torch, half a tooth brush + hotel soap + travel towel, roll of zinc oxide tape+blister pack of ibuprofen, and finally opinel #8 for cutting a stick.
Weight 2.6 Kg and I think the towel is an indulgence.

Grams count, cut off ron hills for night wear and drying the full size versions after washing.

I am not going to be smelly

I promise.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pyotr_Miley said:

Hoo boy. I'm planning on going about the same time you are on my first Camino, and so far I've gotten as far as starting to look for decent shoes. :oops:

no worries, Im off this summer and have no shoes yet, and as I will be off to Rome in april theres a good chance that my shoebudget will be spent on anything but hikingshoes :p

Hello Pyortr

With all do respect, but you are planning to all that inside of what? A 38l backpack? :shock: I guess anything is possible in el camino :D

Zo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Finisterre, you are a man after my own heart...
I'm sure you could get below 2.5 kgs..... :D But does your 2.6 kgs include water??
Personally, I shall have a wash when I reach Santiago, whether I need it or not!!! :lol:
Later edit: OK, I've decided to go for the real lightweight option - (see post on other thread) - comes out at 1.7kgs without water.Does include soap..... :D

zzotte said:
Hello Pyortr

With all do respect, but you are planning to all that inside of what? A 38l backpack? :shock: I guess anything is possible in el camino :D

Zo

i think its a tardis... I am ziplock bagging my clothes to get the air out to fit into a 42!

WOW! You’re taking a sun hat AND a fleece hat; lightweight scarf AND 2 bandanas? Try a single Buff instead – you can get the one with the fleece section if you’re worried about being cold.

Ditch the two P-38’s, the corkscrew, the Opinel (Opinel are good – I’ve had one for 20 years but it’s just a single knife blade), the sharpening stone (you’ll not be walking for long enough to need one unless you like to whittle metal), the tweezers and the nail clippers and buy a Victorinox Huntsman or similar – the can opener is far superior to a P-38 in any case. Use a lanyard or get a pouch and fasten it to your pack webbing if you’re worried about losing it.

Water bottles – I take it SS means stainless steel? I normally object to buying overpriced, commercially hyped bottled water but you can buy 500ml, 750ml etc. bottles and reuse them and they weigh next to nothing.

Like Pieces says: take out half and then consider whether you REALLY need to carry the rest or can wait until you need it and buy it then.

Ultreia

CP

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know that I am in the minority and have written this before but do remember Baz Luhrmann and the Sunscreen Song- “Remember your knees, you will miss them when they’re gone". I love Teva sandals and live in the country which developed them, they give no support for your trick ankle, your knees, your back or your future. At the risk of sounding sexist I will say that very town or good sized village along the Camino has a bar for coffee-beer-wine at the end of the day the place which most menfolk seek out first. These places also usually have a pharmacy for elastic bandages, knee braces, ibuprofen 600 cream and tablets (amazingly no prescription needed) and cold-spray for those who are in pain plus the myriad other things which most women-folk desire at the end of their day. Save yourself present and future pain with a good pair of boots.

Pyotr_Miley said:
First draft packing List, approximately one year in advance of trip, April 2013.................... with sunscreen
Hey Bud! I wanna walk with you , cause if I need anything , you will have it :mrgreen:
I would get a bus to Roncesvalles and start there , inexpensive and you will start in the beautifull foothills of the Pyrenees
Okay - first of all , chuck away the 'Joxter' and buy some cycling tights without padding - you will thank me many times for this.
It is great that you are so excited and organised - Tell you what , bring your gear along........... at each Albergue you can leave what you do not want on a comunal table - some weekend pilgrim will snap it up. On my very first camino I picked up a sturdy eating utensile set which I still have 10 years later. I left some camping gas canisters on a bookshelf in Essella - on my next visit they had gone.
Hey Bud , Only 240 sleeps to go :lol:

Blimey! I'm stunned.... small compass? Roller blades for going down the tarmac roads?! :lol:

I agree with the other post, you can buy a lot on the way and yes, Spain is very civilised.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pyotr_Miley said:
First draft packing List, approximately one year in advance of trip, April 2013. From Nebraska USA to Pamplona through Santiago de Compostela to the refugios on the sea. This is what I'm currently putting together to check the weight and the packability. I'm sure I'll end up with less or that there'll be changes. If you have any suggestions, I'd certainly welcome them.

Pack, Osprey Kestrel 38L
Bag, Snugpak TravelPak Lite..............

Pilgrim Supplies:
Morning liturgical “Invitatory” typed on single sheet, laminated for morning prayer
Compline Office typed on single sheet, laminated for evening prayer
KJV Gideons New Testament/. In Ziploc With:
Flat San Damiano Crucifix from my confirmation for use as prayer shrine.
Small amount of holy water in reusable bottle. Refill as necessary
Large Ziploc for diploma(s)
Stone for Cruz de Ferro. Taken from the road at the family cemetery. Etched with grandparents, parents and siblings initials
Rosary, cord and wood. Durable and lightweight
Hola, how is your trial packing going? and have you found a comfortable weight yet?
April/May can be cold so our packing this year took that into account.
We too had the Snugpak bags (750gms), lightweight travel towels (180gms) and our medical/toothbrush & paste kit (approx 350/400gms). Our chosen knife/scissor kit was in the 68gm Victorinox Card. Most cans were pull-ring in Spain so we didn't carry a can opener, just checked any cans we bought. I had 100gms of shampoo and Terry a piece of soap. 50ml suncream

Clothing; we started off wearing one complete kit of :-
Underwear, short sleeved T, long sleeved shirt and fleece, zip off pants and triple layered socks.
A full repeat of this was in our packs, plus extra spare undies and liner socks. In addition I carried a lightweight dress, 2 pairs of longjohns and 2 long sleeved Ts (I feel the cold) for evening/night time wear. I wore the l-s T several times as an extra layer when walking and the dress in Santiago.
Poncho and waterproof trousers and integral pack cover for wet weather.
Sunhats - also kept our heads warm
Thin scarf and gloves (me)
Boots for walking
Crocs for evening

Pilgrim supplies for us:-
a paper only copy of 'Forty Days' reflections for Pilgrimage with the photos stripped out to save weight. (We abandoned sheets as we completed them as we had kept a full copy at home) This gave us OT & NT Bible readings and Psalms, instead of the small Gideons NT & Psalms.
I kept it in the 'bladder' section of my rucksack where it was easy to get at.
Credenciales and CSJ guide carried in a plastic/vinyl map case round my neck.
Our small cockle shells tied to our hats

We both had small AA battery cameras, sporks and 'plates' made from a flexi mat. Aluminium bottles to fit in the side pockets of our packs and an old, damaged, pack cover cut in half to sit on.
Pedometer and spare flat battery, mini torches. AA batteries are easily available in Spain and there are good recycling/disposal units in most places. We carried on spare pair each for the cameras, replacing as needed.
Our total weights were 6.5kgs and 7.5kgs plus water and snacks.

We used everything that we took, and didn't miss the bag liners which we jettisoned at home to save weight. Packs were both Berghaus Freeflow - a 25+5 and 35+5. Terry carried my Snugpac in his larger bag and to save me weight.

Hope all goes well with the packing etc and Buen Camino for 2013

There seems to be a very wide variance in what people consider 'essential gear' for a Camino pilgrimage. Personally, I'd trim the OP's list considerably and consider lighter/dual purpose replacements for the remainder of the stuff. A few examples: I bought a sleeping bag sack with a thin fleece liner that also serves as a pillow when stuffed with clothing. The swiss army 'waiter knife' is lightweight and has a cork screw and bottle/can opener. The mesh grocery bags are heaver than the thin nylon bags sold at Ikea. Lastly, I'd add duct/duck tape and zip ties.

I agree Tom, we all have different ideas of 'essential' gear. Chief thing I think is to be happy with what one takes and comfortable carrying it. The 'shall I - shan't I...?' is my guide to considering leaving something at home. Also being familiar now with some of the things we could buy in Spain helped.
Batteries, foot powder, sticking plasters (the last 2 better than we get at home). If I had been on my own a roll-pull for tins or a tin opener would have been on my list, but Terry can open them without :) We like tinned peaches for a treat, and tinned sardines make great emergency food.
I wouldn't want to walk over-weighted, but sometimes folk seem to stress being too light and advise leaving too much behind. Finding longjohns for Terry 2 years ago was impossible and he finished up with a pair of tracksuit bottoms from Oviedo, which were much heavier than taking the proper thing this year.
I find people's packing lists quite fascinating :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have just looked at the OPs list again and it still seems good to me basically. It appears long because everything is listed. Many of us list our main items I think and then 'just put in' the safety pins, needle and thread etc. As ever it is the actual weight which I think clinches it rather than the apparent length of the list.

I have noticed one missing item though (I think):- Diarolyte rehydration sachets, or similar. Good if you do need the loperamide, but also ideal if you have had a hot sweaty day and are slightly dehydrated. Sachets in the UK make up a glass full. A similar product can be bought in farmacias in Spain but make up 1 litre. Care also needs to be taken to buy the right sort for rehydration not the Sports type which are for energy.

That is a list of lists.. A few things on there that I didn't think of but will keep in mind.

Thanks and Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A tent?

Unless you plan on wild camping you won't need it at all. Keep your pack below 8kg (17 pounds) but remain prepared for wet and cold weather. I've walked the entire Camino Frances in July and there were very cold days and with monasteries full I ended up sleeping on the floor several times so an inflatable air mattress (think very lightweight Thermarest, 3/4 length) is good.

Spain is second only to Switzerland as the most mountainous country in Europe so you will be walking at high elevations with subsequent drops in temperatures and wind and rain at times.

Pack as light as possible.

Regarding water bottles, forget buying anything made of steel or thick plastic. Too heavy. Just go to the supermarket and buy a wide-mouth Gatorade 1 liter sports drink and use that plastic bottle for your whole trip. It will only weight 45 - 55 grams saving you weight right there.

Your pack is heavy too. That Osprey Kestrel 38 weights over 1.4 kilos. I would buy, right now, a Gossamer Gear Gorilla (under 700 grams for the pre-2012 model) or G4 (under 500 grams possible) or check out Zpacks which are making strong, lightweight packs made of Cuben fiber. They are located in Florida and make some of the lightest and most comfortable packs in the world.

Good luck and go light.
PS: A nice warm sleeping bag will be heaven in an unheated monastery on very cold nights.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back