• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time, help please

katarinka

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata
Hey guys, I have decided to do Via de la Plata this year and I would really use some help and tips from you, who have already been there. First, I am young female and am going to walk alone. I would like to "wild" camp along the road. What do you think, is it too dangerous? I would like to sleep in hammock or on the ground.
Do you guys have any bad experiences along Via de la Plata. I have read about thiefs and few attacks, what to be aware of on the route?
Thank you for all answers! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would not recommend wild camping for women alone on the VdlP.
There just is not enough infrastructure and fewer other Pilgrims. A lot of long lonely stretches.
I found it very different from the other routes in that way. I did not feel any danger (as a man) while walking but...rough sleeping for a girl???

The portion of the VdlP north of Sevilla to Salamanca has had more reports and rumors of bad actors than the other routes

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
oh, thank you, that was really useful. Have you heard about something more dangerous then thiefs on the way from Sevilla to Salamanca? Any bad experiences from other women you ´ve probably met?

oh, thank you, that was really useful. Have you heard about something more dangerous then thiefs on the way from Sevilla to Salamanca? Any bad experiences from other women you ´ve probably met?
I just returned from the VdlP (Salamanca to SdC) and did have one bad experience. I am a 62 year old female and traveled solo. I encountered a shepherd in Galicia in the middle of some woods that I spoke to very briefly. He grabbed me and kissed me and as I walked off he called to me and pointed to himself then me and then the bushes. I said "no" and walked away as quickly as possible. Freaked me out a bit since I never encountered anything like this on my last three caminos ( on the French Way). I decided he just saw a hopeful opportunity and really wasn't a danger. I started on March 5 and spent almost all my nights alone and never saw anyone on the trail during the day except in Zamora and the last three days into Santiago. I did manage to somehow get lost a lot but always got back on track. I never felt unsafe and locals were very friendly and helpful.

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...
(Live on the Camino, but I don't know how to post with that tag) The Camino Sanabres winds through small stone villages and along vast green pastures rimmed in stone walls. Sometimes you walk on...
Be careful when you organise a transfer from the Arca de Caparra (Via’s emblem) to one of the three hotels in Jarilla. The guide books we are using state that you will be picked up at ARCA DE...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back