• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Time Pilgrim starting from Lisbon

Oz Reg

Time of past OR future Camino
First Attempt
Hi,
Im a newbie to this pilgrimage and I have no experience walking such a long walk.

I arrive in Lisbon and wondering if I have to start from Lisbon or Porto?
Im new to Portugal and I don't know where to go.

How long more would i have to walk if I start from Lisbon instead of Porto?

I have allowed 3 weeks for the whole walk. I don't want to rush.
So would it be advisable to start from Lisbon?

Do I have to book accommodation in advance or would I find accommodation in every town/village? I just need basic accommodation.

I have downloaded some maps. Are they sufficient? will there be a lot of people walking around this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
Im a newbie to this pilgrimage and I have no experience walking such a long walk.

I arrive in Lisbon and wondering if I have to start from Lisbon or Porto?
Im new to Portugal and I don't know where to go.

How long more would i have to walk if I start from Lisbon instead of Porto?

I have allowed 3 weeks for the whole walk. I don't want to rush.
So would it be advisable to start from Lisbon?

Do I have to book accommodation in advance or would I find accommodation in every town/village? I just need basic accommodation.

I have downloaded some maps. Are they sufficient? will there be a lot of people walking around this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Welcome - Benvenuto -
do search the link on the Portuguese Caminho and you shall find ample info from kind fellow pilgrims - it's a cornucopia of info and insights and advise.
It took me 4 weeks from Lisboa - SdCompostela - including 3 rest days and taking a train out of Lisbon on the first day.
this might be of interest:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-on-caminho-portuguese-w-images-part-i.27901/
others have written blogs about their experience .... makes for a wonderful read. For e.g. seek out "Magwood" on this forum and you'll find the link to her blog.
If you have only three weeks - you might like to start perhaps from Santarem?! ... Or from Tomar?!
Since you don't state during what time of the year you are planning the Caminho - it's not possible to respond to how many people might walk. It's def a road less traveled. Usually I did not reserve for accommodations in advance. Only once, on the first night, because the place had only 3 rooms to rent.
There's much to read here on this forum - great info ... have fun preparing and exploring.
take it easy on the first several days, pack as light as you possibly can, and walk at your own pace - and enjoy the lovely country...
Bom Caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Three weeks is not enough to walk from Lisbon. You might consider starting in Tomar, a beautiful town to set off from. Take a look at my blog here where you can see the stages that I walked, and there are many other blogs that you can find on this forum. I have also started a resource page on my blog where you will find links to lots of useful information.

Most private accommodation can be pre booked but not the municipal albergues. It depends on the time of year that you walk whether there will be any issues with accommodation.

Do a bit of research and come back with any other questions you have.

Bom caminho

Hi all,

Thank know you for the quick response.
I intend to start the walk next week.

I will go through the links posted and post questions if I have any.

Thank you.

Hi Oz Reg.
If you have no experience, this document might be useful as it tells you how to walk from Lisbon to Porto in shorter stages. (Just in case).
Regarding Falcon269 guide book suggestion, probably is the most read, but be sure you get 2014 or 2015 edition.
Also in CSJ web page you can download the Portuguese guide on their online shop but the last update was in 2012 I think...
Take a look here:
http://www.csj.org.uk/guides.htm
Bom Caminho
Mario

Attachments

• WALKING FROM LISBON TO PORTO IN SHORTER STAGES.pdf
    457.7 KB · Views: 4
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with all our forum friends here above but between the lines I read that you have no experience in long walks.
I should suggest you start in Porto in a relaxed way, take a first day as a tourist, walk along the coast the day after to Vila do Conde from Matosinhos and continue to Sao Pedro de Rates. From there to Barcelos. Have a rest day and continue to Ponte de Lima. Do'nt forget to stop at Casa da Fernanda
From Porto it takes you a fortnight and as a newbe you have all the time to walk quiet and easy to Santiago
Should be my proposal !
Bom caminho

Last edited:
and if you have questions about this wonderful caminho,please ask...
Here on this forum is a lot of of experience available among the forummembers to answer them.

Albertinho gives good advice [as always ;)] ! If you're new to the camino, I'd start in Porto, take my time and enjoy the towns and villages.
If you want to see some pictures and notes about Lisbon to Porto, and Porto to SdC, my diaries are downloadable from my web site, in "doc" format.
If you're starting out now, there will be very few fellow pilgrims until, maybe, the last 100 kms. When I walked from Porto in April 2011 it took me two days to see another pilgrim, so in November .... !
You're going to have a great time!
Bom caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albertinho gives good advice [as always ;)] ! If you're new to the camino, I'd start in Porto, take my time and enjoy the towns and villages.
If you want to see some pictures and notes about Lisbon to Porto, and Porto to SdC, my diaries are downloadable from my web site, in "doc" format.
If you're starting out now, there will be very few fellow pilgrims until, maybe, the last 100 kms. When I walked from Porto in April 2011 it took me two days to see another pilgrim, so in November .... !
You're going to have a great time!
Bom caminho!
Thanks my dear friend ! Hope you and your wife are doing well.
See some times somewhere again

Best regards from Albert and Nel at this sunny side of the British channel.

thanks again friends.

I have decided to commence my walk from Tomar. I booked a lodge recommended by amorfati1 on her travel log.

This forum is indeed very helpful.

would it be possible to send some of my luggage to my final destination? as I don't want to carry too many items with me.

thanks again friends.

I have decided to commence my walk from Tomar. I booked a lodge recommended by amorfati1 on her travel log.

would it be possible to send some of my luggage to my final destination? as I don't want to carry too many items with me.
Sent a PM -

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thanks again friends.

Hi OZ
Take note that you need a morning or an afternoon to visit the Castle and the Convent of Tomar (World Heritage Site). This is an obligatory place to visit in the Portuguese Way, which is now more beautiful than ever after the renovation of the Charola.
Lisbon to Tomar you have trains departing from Santa Apolonia station. Here are the schedules.

http://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/CP/Imagens/PDF/Passageiros/horarios/regional/lisboa_tomar_lisboa.pdf

Bom caminho
AMSimoes

Thank you AMSimoes
I will do that.

Is there a post office in Tomar where I could send some of my luggage to caminho?

Thanks

thanks again friends. Would it be possible to send some of my luggage to my final destination? as I don't want to carry too many items with me.
I suppose you could send something to your final destination - but that's the grave, and it won't be much use to you there :D:D
Tomar is a beautiful city, with the castle and the park, across the bridge.
Enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I suppose you could send something to your final destination - but that's the grave, and it won't be much use to you there :D:D
Tomar is a beautiful city, with the castle and the park, across the bridge.
Enjoy!

Haha... You are funny Stephen Nicholls

After arriving at Tomar and settling into the albergue and showering, and then hiking up to the castle, I discovered that it was too late to go inside which was a bit of a blow. But we were able to wander in grounds and soak up the atmosphere for half an hour or so. It is a wonderful place and the town is full of interesting places to visit. Try to find the synagogue which houses a small museum and is the oldest synagogue in Portugal. It will be a get place to start your camino.
Bom caminho!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back