• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Musings from the first few days from Lisbon

frauunterwegs

Christina
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues from Lisbon: July-August 2023
It’s day 4 for me on my first Camino, and so much goes through my head already. I started in Lisbon on Friday.

Today I’m taking a bus, to skip 20km. Not because I think this part is worth skipping - I actually appreciated the tough stretches and roads for making me enjoy the paths in between even more, and mirroring my inner chaotic landscape. But because my feet and ankles are ringing the alarm bells, and I started too ambitiously in the first days. I couldn’t stay where I am another night as everything is booked out.
Still… it feels like cheating. I took pride in the idea of connecting two places with my steps, and now it feels like defeat so early on.
A friend replied to this “Have some compassion while feeling pride, they are not contradictory”. That was such a lovely message to receive. Self compassion is something I have brushed away often - “ah come on I can do it”.
I know I could come back here tomorrow and walk anyway, but I’d rather just head on than spending more motorized time and logistics. And I’m making peace with that now.

This free morning allowed me a chat with the owner of the albergue I stayed at, which made it all worth it. Yesterday, I arrived half an hour before opening, tired and in need of a shower although I could have just sat at the cafe for a bit longer, thinking that’s surely not a problem. Now I got a whole different perspective on how he’s dedicating his entire time to the albergue and pilgrims, how precious those few alone moments between cleaning after departing guests and welcoming arriving ones are. I too quickly fell a bit into a self-centered journey, and this broadened my view again for the complex lives I’m crossing paths with.

All this was a bit of a slap in the face, the distances and the sun and the pain and the realizations, and I’m grateful for it… I’ll find my rhythm.

I guess this was just a spilling of words out there, maybe it resonates with someone. Thank you :)

Bom Caminho

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are doing exactly the right thing. Working as a Hospi I have seen many pilgrims having to give up because they ignored warning signs from their bodies and ended up injuring themselves. And thanks for giving the hospis a thought. Those quiet moments in the morning are gold. Buen Camino.

Today I’m taking a bus, to skip 20km. Not because I think this part is worth skipping - I actually appreciated the tough stretches and roads for making me enjoy the paths in between even more, and mirroring my inner chaotic landscape. But because my feet and ankles are ringing the alarm bells, and I started too ambitiously in the first days. I couldn’t stay where I am another night as everything is booked out.
Hi! In my opinion you've made a common sense choice; listening to what your body is telling you is the right thing to do!
If you had continued your Camino might have ended many days before you intended!

On my Portuguese because of injury i took a taxi for two consecutive days.
It saved the rest of Camino as i healed enough to finish.
Wishing you well and have a great walk
Buen Camino
Woody

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As someone who likes to ‘do things properly’ I have learnt to listen to the Camino without judgement.
My first Camino Francés was in an open ended time frame that allowed to me to walk the whole way at my own pace.
However on the Portuguese from Lisbon at various times I took a taxi, bus or train. I was walking with a friend and I agreed to a time frame I could not manage.
On the Via I used a taxi and bus a couple of times because of my capacity and distance between available services.
Each Camino had its own magic and wisdom. You can never ‘skip a stage’. Everything is the Camino.
Enjoy and Buen Camino

Still… it feels like cheating. I took pride in the idea of connecting two places with my steps, and now it feels like defeat so early on.
Please, stop talking to yourself like that. You are not the first, nor will you be the last, to take a bus or taxi at some stage on their pilgrimage. I know that on my early pilgrimages, I, too, was convinced that I would walk every step of the way, and I was fortunate enough to do so. Since then, I have allowed myself some greater leeway.

Last year, 2022, I walked to Fatima, and then took the bus to Tomar to rejoin the Camino Portuguese. Not for the same reasons you are contemplating doing this, but this wasn't part of the route that I was interested in walking. I then completed the Camino Portuguese from Tomar. This year I have had to be satisfied with walking two shorter routes where it was important to walk every step of the way. I expect that by the time you reach that point on the CP, if you have been careful, and kind, to your body. that shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Last edited:
It’s day 4 for me on my first Camino, and so much goes through my head already. I started in Lisbon on Friday.

A friend replied to this “Have some compassion while feeling pride, they are not contradictory”. That was such a lovely message to receive. Self compassion is something I have brushed away often - “ah come on I can do it”.
I know I could come back here tomorrow and walk anyway, but I’d rather just head on than spending more motorized time and logistics. And I’m making peace with that now.

This free morning allowed me a chat with the owner of the albergue I stayed at, which made it all worth it. Yesterday, I arrived half an hour before opening, tired and in need of a shower although I could have just sat at the cafe for a bit longer, thinking that’s surely not a problem. Now I got a whole different perspective on how he’s dedicating his entire time to the albergue and pilgrims, how precious those few alone moments between cleaning after departing guests and welcoming arriving ones are. I too quickly fell a bit into a self-centered journey, and this broadened my view again for the complex lives I’m crossing paths with.

All this was a bit of a slap in the face, the distances and the sun and the pain and the realizations, and I’m grateful for it… I’ll find my rhythm.

I guess this was just a spilling of words out there, maybe it resonates with someone. Thank you :)

Bom Caminho
I echo the others who have said that you made the right decision. Your body will thank you and it will make it easier to continue on foot later on, when it is most important.

A side benefit is that it will also make it easier to avoid judging others, even internally (speaking from my own experience). It can be hard to give that up and any help is useful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Bom Caminho
There is simply no point in disabling yourself en-route. Take it easy and make your way in the best way for you.

Read this with interest, I am heading to Lisbon Aug 1st, walking parts of the Portuguese, as much as I can, and thinking I will also need to take an occasional bus or taxi to be able to do it without too much pain. Is it fairly easy to get transportation on the various stretches? It looks to be pretty remote in some sections when I look it up. Thanks for your help this is a great forum for advice!

Thank you all for your very, very appreciated replies. It was helpful to spill thoughts, and read, all is well and I’m walking. Day 6, adequately not excessively exhausted, and happy, tomorrow only a few kilometers to Tomar.

@JeanneClaire yes it’s easy to find buses and trains to bridge some parts, depending on how remote you are it might just mean a longer waiting period (eg from Valada to the next train station usually only 3 buses a day, then the train to Santarém). I found that I didn’t mind that at all, and enjoyed figuring it out in the end, talking to friendly bus drivers and watching birds on the train platform. I’ve met a few people already who do a kind of on-off depending on their abilities. Many overdid it in the first few days so take it easy :) I’m doing well with shortening the widely suggested stages to 20-25 km (the first days are always around 30) and have so far never had a problem to find accommodation, minimarkets etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Bom Caminho
I totally understand and the same happened to me during my recent Camino Portugues. I tried to keep up with some North American pilgrims that I met, completely overdid it, and possibly stress fractured my foot. I finished the journey with the help of a bus ride or two.

I totally get the self judgement and perceived unmet expectations. 😑 You will have amazing memories of your Camino for the rest of your life, and maybe part of your journey is learning to practice self compassion! Buen Camino! 🥰

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back