• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time walker: what to bring

anacheka

Time of past OR future Camino
April 20-June 8 2017
Hi, In a month my 15-year-old daughter and I will be walking the camino for the first time -- mid April to mid June. I'd like to travel very minimally. Can I reasonably get away with:

1. 2 sets of clothes
2. raincoat
3. extra pair of shoes
4. something to sleep in
5. sleeping bag
6. pillow case
7. water bottle & sling
8. passport, credit cards, money
9. cell phone
10. deck of cards
11. fleece jacket
12. comb, toothbrush & paste, shampoo, deoderant

What first aid should I carry? (beyond mole skin)

Will I be able to get laundry soap easily along the way?

Thanks for you help!

Alice

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A deck of cards ?

I'm reminded of a walking holiday I was on many years ago when the
lady who ran the place said that gambling wasn't allowed. One of the
guys playing cards said " Gambling ? When I'm dealing the outcome's
never in doubt".

I can't remember seeing anyone playing cards. Which is odd really as it's
universal and crosses language barriers. By comparison I can't remember
a single sailing trip which didn't feature a night of card games.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your list looks pretty good. Keep it as light as possible.
I assume your "raincoat" is a lightweight rain jacket of some kind.
I would also add a light hat and sunglasses.

Perhaps a pack cover if you haven't waterproofed everything.

No need for much first aid. Just a couple basics like ibuprofen and only a few of each. Lots of Farmacias along the way.

Bring one bar of soap that can be used to wash everything...yourself and your clothes such as Dr. Bronner's. The places that have washing machines usually have laundry detergent.

And as above, I've never seen anyone playing cards. There's so much to do when you arrive each afternoon/evening.

Buen Camino and have fun!

We try and keep everything including pack to a total under 7 kilos. Everything weighs so I would dump shampoo and deodorant or decant into really small amounts or buy and discard when you need it. I would also use small airplane tube of toothpaste and of course cards weigh as well - if you have not used them by 4th day - discard. If your spare pair of shoes weighs .6 Kilo or less fine, if not find some that do. Also depends on what "two sets" of clothes and "something to sleep in" means. You can be carrying a lot of additional weight in those descriptions. Remember you will also be carrying some food and water so that needs to be added to total weight load. I would also look for the lightest pack you can get. Not all packs are equal. AARN packs are great New Zealand packs and very light weight but may not be available where you are. Buy European plug for your phone to avoid carrying adaptor. Small travel towel.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
2 sets of clothes
These should not be identical sets of clothes. You need 2 or 3 underpants and pairs of socks, but nothing else should be duplicated. Think through these scenarios, and bring appropriate layers (not 2 of a kind):
  • Walking - layers for cool weather and rain; remove layers when warm or dry
  • Evening - very casual; may be the same as you wear to bed; may include one or two of the outer walking layers, if it is chilly.
With that, you will have a layer to wear when you are washing another combo.

I played cards every night after my first 2 weeks, never carried any, an Aussie family had them, or there was a deck at the alburgues. We all determine the "extras" or creature comfort items that are worth the weight. Mine was bar soap & deodorant. I also had an iPad mini, no phone. A smart phone is best for the weight.

I did carry 2 sets of eye glasses, took 3 days to find a place to fix 1 pair so glad for the extra set.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Summer or winter a good sun block cream/lotion will be most useful for anyone! Over the counter medicine such as ibuprofen or imodium is readily available. Any prescription medicine should be brought from home as well as a copy of the prescription in case an additional supply is needed. If by chance you wear glasses a copy of that prescription can be VERY handy in case of breakage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would include a small pocket knife, one blade, a can opener, a botle opener, and a cork screw. Mine fits on a belt "holster" and never a day passed when I or someone close by didn't need to cut, free, open, or slice something. Indispensable if you are considering a picnic lunch unless you are going commando biting off your cheese or chorizo, eating tomatoes like an apple.

My husband and I traveling from Porto from March 19. It is our first Piligrim trip. Do we need sleeping bags or it is enough Sleeping bag liner (increases warmth by up to +15C/25F) if we are planing to sleep in Albergues?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband and I traveling from Porto from March 19. It is our first Piligrim trip. Do we need sleeping bags or it is enough Sleeping bag liner (increases warmth by up to +15C/25F) if we are planing to sleep in Albergues?
What month are you walking? From May until October a liner would be enough.

Your packing list looks very sensible, but pay attention to some advice given above. You do not need a deodorant. You need slippers/lightweight sandals for after-walking, not extra shoes. Also try to keep your pack at max. 10% of your bodyweight.

The best packing tip I can give is:

If you know you will need it, pack it.
If you think you will need it, throw it.

Remember, Spain is a very sivilised country, and everything you forgot can be bought there, at a better price most likely better quality than home. f.ex. my best walking socks ever were bought in a small shop in Castrojeriz: I never pass that place without buying another pair. :)

Also, you have given yourself very good time; April 20 - June 8: This is very wise. Use it to your advantage: Start slow & short, and increase as you feel & grow stronger. Feet problems/blisters can ruin your walk after just one careless day. Remember, the goal is The Way, not getting there... You will find out when you arrive in Santiago.

You are just a short time away from a lifetime experience: Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Remember, Spain is a very sivilised country, and everything you forgot can be bought there, at a better price most likely better quality than home. f.ex. my best walking socks ever were bought in a small shop in Castrojeriz: I never pass that place without buying another pair. :)

That special shop in Castrojeriz where Alex gets his socks is undoubtedly the Bazar del Peregrino. Chock full of hiking/camping necessities it is run by a true gentlemsn.

See more here --
http://wisepilgrim.com/poi/el-bazar-del-peregrino

Last edited:
That special shop in Castrojeriz whee Alex gets his socks is undoubtedly the Bazar de Camino. Chock full of hiking/camping necessities and run by a true gentlemsn.
See more here --
http://wisepilgrim.com/poi/el-bazar-del-peregrino
Indeed, Margareth: A Spanish gentleman in the finest meaning of the word. I believe he has all you'll need in stock. He knows me and we have a good hug when we meet...:) It is near the end of town, at the plaza with the municipal albergue up the stairs. Perfect location for food, beer, and a good sock deal...;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
-Don't forget some toilet paper or start practising wiping with writing paper and grass. :)
-Some clothespins or other thought up system to keep your clothing being blown from the line; patiently, soaking wet, waiting for you to find them just before you want to go to bed.
-I carry something similar to THIS for when the weather forces me to rig something up inside.
-You will need a little flashlight (I really like THESE), or a little bigger than that when you start walking early in the dark.
-An ultralight drysack is nice to have. Step into a shower cabin in your dirty clothes, with a set of fresh clothes with you. Take a shower, change, step out of the shower and then contemplate on it.
- I take a small lightweight UMBRELLA with me. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. A poncho is good for long downpours, an umbrella is nice for short showers and against the sun. (A poncho will get you wet from sweat anyway)

Your list looks very good and shows you've been wise and done your homework. My advice would be to pack something that makes you smile everytime you look at it. Sometimes the days can be long and hard and something that makes you happy can make all the difference. My sleeping sheet/sleeping bag doona cover was made by my sister from the most beautiful piece of patterned silk that I've ever seen. It's still really precious and will come on my second camino.
PS You need to add a towel to your list plus a tiny sewing kit. The little ones given away by hotels weigh about 1 gram and are useful for making running repairs.

Hi, In a month my 15-year-old daughter and I will be walking the camino for the first time -- mid April to mid June. I'd like to travel very minimally. Can I reasonably get away with:

1. 2 sets of clothes
2. raincoat
3. extra pair of shoes
4. something to sleep in
5. sleeping bag
6. pillow case
7. water bottle & sling
9. cell phone
10. deck of cards
11. fleece jacket

Thanks for you help!

Alice
One last thought, you will be away for your accepted amenities for over a month, you may consider taking a small pair of fingernail scissors but far more importantly, clip your toenails before you leave but not too short! You don't need to carry clippers for this since they are easily purchased anywhere along the Camino. Outlandish nails can tear socks, snag, or become ingrown so blisters are a worry but do consider your toes as well.

One last thought, you will be away for your accepted amenities for over a month, you may consider taking a small pair of fingernail scissors but far more importantly, clip your toenails before you leave but not too short! You don't need to carry clippers for this since they are easily purchased anywhere along the Camino. Outlandish nails can tear socks, snag, or become ingrown so blisters are a worry but do consider your toes as well.
I file my nails on the Camino because a nail file is lighter than scissors.

1. 2 sets of clothes
2. raincoat
3. extra pair of shoes
4. something to sleep in
5. sleeping bag
6. pillow case
7. water bottle & sling
9. cell phone
10. deck of cards
11. fleece jacket

Thanks for you help!

Alice
The way goes through N Spain, not the Gobi desert! you can buy anything along the way, so - sleep in the clothes you will walk in the next day, no deoderant,, pillow case, or cards - you will have better things to do than play cards!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back