First time walker - woman - Camino del Baztan

Bsimonuk

Sep 5, 2019
United Kingdom
Time of past OR future Camino
First time
Camino del Baztan : 10-18 September 2019
After reading an article in the Sunday times about el Camino del Baztan , I decided to do it. Just taking some time off teaching. It is now getting closer : I will be flying to Biarritz next Tuesday 10/09 and return 19/09. I have the guide book. No poles yet?
I am very excited still to the Baztan but need a bit of re-assurance : I will be walking on my own, I am a 52 year old woman, and first time on the Camino.
Should I adapt or change my route ?
Thank you in advance :)

Reactions: Indlela
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
F

Former member 49149

Hi, welcome! If you have time to look under forums: then you will find some threads relating to the Baztan route. That will give you more information, unless you have already devoured it!
My understanding is that it is a safe route for solo pilgrims. It is on my list...
Re the poles, try to get advice on how to use them. It took me years to get the penny to drop. The people in the sports shop - if that is how you will get them - will be glad to show you but if not, youtube has lots of videos on how to use them. for example, you could look for "how to use trekking poles". Make sure they have adjustable wrist straps.
Buen camino.

timr

Mar 29, 2009
Liverpool, but also East Molesey & Co Wicklow
walkingtim.com
Several and counting...
Reactions: SabsP

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Aug 26, 2016
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
Hola, I walked the camino Baztan May 2018 with a young Spanish girlfriend from Pamplona I met on a previous Camino. Yes, very beautiful and nice places to stay. We didn't stay in albergues but I assume there are some.
We didn't meet any other walkers and missed a marker one day and ended up far off the trail. Luckily my Spanish friend got us a ride back to the trail when we met a couple hiking a different trail.
I personally wouldn't recommend it for a first Camino unless you speak good Spanish and are an experienced route finder with lots of hiking experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

basquelady

Apr 30, 2013
Lancaster, UK
CF (2013), CF Pamplona to V del Bierzo (2014), Baztanés, then CF (2016), CF Sahagun to SDC (2017)
After reading an article in the Sunday times about el Camino del Baztan , I decided to do it. Just taking some time off teaching. It is now getting closer : I will be flying to Biarritz next Tuesday 10/09 and return 19/09. I have the guide book. No poles yet?
I am very excited still to the Baztan but need a bit of re-assurance : I will be walking on my own, I am a 52 year old woman, and first time on the Camino.
Should I adapt or change my route ?
Thank you in advance :)
I have responded in a personal message which I trust will be helpful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

geraldkelly

Nov 13, 2006
Ireland
www.caminoguide.net
Camino Francés, Vía de la Plata / Camino Sanabrés, Camino del Baztán, Camino Aragonés, Chemin du Puy
Hi

I don't think the Camino del Baztan is suitable for someone on their first Camino. It's too physically demanding, too remote and in all likelihood there'll be no other pilgrims. If something goes wrong you're on your own. I would encourage you to walk part of the Camino Frances for your first time, it's the perfect place to learn how everything works and how you're going to organise yourself on a day-to-day basis.

Gerald

Bsimonuk

Sep 5, 2019
United Kingdom
First time
Camino del Baztan : 10-18 September 2019
Hi

I don't think the Camino del Baztan is suitable for someone on their first Camino. It's too physically demanding, too remote and in all likelihood there'll be no other pilgrims. If something goes wrong you're on your own. I would encourage you to walk part of the Camino Frances for your first time, it's the perfect place to learn how everything works and how you're going to organise yourself on a day-to-day basis.

Gerald
Thank you so much Gerald - I wish I had known this useful information before planning . It must seem silly for an experienced pilgrim. I will follow your advice :)

Reactions: Martyduc

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.