• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time walker - woman - Camino del Baztan

Bsimonuk

Time of past OR future Camino
First time
Camino del Baztan : 10-18 September 2019
After reading an article in the Sunday times about el Camino del Baztan , I decided to do it. Just taking some time off teaching. It is now getting closer : I will be flying to Biarritz next Tuesday 10/09 and return 19/09. I have the guide book. No poles yet?
I am very excited still to the Baztan but need a bit of re-assurance : I will be walking on my own, I am a 52 year old woman, and first time on the Camino.
Should I adapt or change my route ?
Thank you in advance :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is physically demanding and poles are definitely recommended. It is a really beautiful walk and highly recommended but it is definitely the road less travelled.

Thank you. I will order poles today. I don’t mind it being physically demanding but am a little worried not meeting any other walkers ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, welcome! If you have time to look under forums: then you will find some threads relating to the Baztan route. That will give you more information, unless you have already devoured it!
My understanding is that it is a safe route for solo pilgrims. It is on my list...
Re the poles, try to get advice on how to use them. It took me years to get the penny to drop. The people in the sports shop - if that is how you will get them - will be glad to show you but if not, youtube has lots of videos on how to use them. for example, you could look for "how to use trekking poles". Make sure they have adjustable wrist straps.
Buen camino.

Hola, I walked the camino Baztan May 2018 with a young Spanish girlfriend from Pamplona I met on a previous Camino. Yes, very beautiful and nice places to stay. We didn't stay in albergues but I assume there are some.
We didn't meet any other walkers and missed a marker one day and ended up far off the trail. Luckily my Spanish friend got us a ride back to the trail when we met a couple hiking a different trail.
I personally wouldn't recommend it for a first Camino unless you speak good Spanish and are an experienced route finder with lots of hiking experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After reading an article in the Sunday times about el Camino del Baztan , I decided to do it. Just taking some time off teaching. It is now getting closer : I will be flying to Biarritz next Tuesday 10/09 and return 19/09. I have the guide book. No poles yet?
I am very excited still to the Baztan but need a bit of re-assurance : I will be walking on my own, I am a 52 year old woman, and first time on the Camino.
Should I adapt or change my route ?
Thank you in advance :)
I have responded in a personal message which I trust will be helpful.

I stayed in one albergue as the only guest. However, it is probably the most beautiful Camino I have walked.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

I don't think the Camino del Baztan is suitable for someone on their first Camino. It's too physically demanding, too remote and in all likelihood there'll be no other pilgrims. If something goes wrong you're on your own. I would encourage you to walk part of the Camino Frances for your first time, it's the perfect place to learn how everything works and how you're going to organise yourself on a day-to-day basis.

Gerald

Hi

I don't think the Camino del Baztan is suitable for someone on their first Camino. It's too physically demanding, too remote and in all likelihood there'll be no other pilgrims. If something goes wrong you're on your own. I would encourage you to walk part of the Camino Frances for your first time, it's the perfect place to learn how everything works and how you're going to organise yourself on a day-to-day basis.

Gerald
Thank you so much Gerald - I wish I had known this useful information before planning . It must seem silly for an experienced pilgrim. I will follow your advice :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.