• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer! Any advice?

rose.crez

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (may 2018)
Hi all,
This spring I'm going to walk my first Camino (Del Norte), and I'm a proper newbie! I've been trying to prepare my Camino but I've bumped into some things.:
-Where should I start my Camino
-How do I plan my route (do I need to prebook the alberque, and if so which ones?)
-Which hostels are good?
Does anyone have advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome rose.crez, it is great to have you here. From an earlier post of mine:

I would suggest that your very first step on this forum would be to explore the various topics which cover your specific concerns. There is a large storehouse of information available at your fingertips, and the search engine on this forum will help find the answers to the topics you need to research.

It is a bit overwhelming when you decide to do something like a Camino. But if you take a big breath and focus on one subject area at a time it will reduce the overwhelming and anxious feelings you have. You can start by looking at information to help you decide which route and what time of year you want to go. Decide if you have the time and desire to do an entire Camino, or is your time limited and you want to do a bit of the Camino over a few years. Once you have firmed up those areas, then things will start to come together in you mind as you plan your trip. Just start reading through the various forums to get the feel of how everything works and how folks interact.

Once you know the above, the specifics of travel, equipment to bring, accommodations, budget, training, etc, will begin to take shape. There are many good guidebooks and resources, some can be purchased from Ivar's store -- this forum's sponsor. Other online resources are available as well, as I'm sure you've discovered already.

But I highly suggest that you spend the time on this forum researching the answers to your questions in the huge archive of posts, and once your mind has begun to put things together, folks will be happy to help fill in the missing pieces.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
I'm going to answer your last question first:
My advice, unless you are in excellent condition, is to walk the Camino Francis first, either from SJPP, from Roncesvalles, or from Pamplona. I found the Norte to be beautiful, but a bit more challenging in my opinion, and the Frances will help you "learn the ropes."

That said, if you REALLY want to begin on the Norte, I'd begin in Irun.
I find the Eroski website to be of great value:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

Buen Camino!

Hi I finished the Norte in Santiago in December (went thru to Finisterre via Muxia)having started in Irun 25th October . The way is clearly marked with arrows and shells (Camino symbol) all the way .So the way is already mapped out for you. I am sure you will enjoy the Norte

-How do I plan my route (do I need to prebook the alberque, and if so which ones?)
-Which hostels are good?

The starting point depends in how much time you have. If you have the time (33/35 days) I would start in Irun.

Here you have a link to Gronze-Camino del Norte: https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte.

I would take the way from Irun to Villaviciosa and from there to Oviedo. Once in Oviedo, you can return to the main Camino del Norte or you can take the Camino Primitivo (for sure, once in Oviedo, you have had the time to speak with many other pilgrims and you will have an opinion about what is more convenient for you).

I don't think that you need to pre-book at all. Anyhow, I think that booking the first night is always a good idea. At least you will know where to go when you arrive to the first city, probably a little disoriented, tired and with jet-lag. For the following nights, I always prefere to decide which albergues I will use in a daily base, depending how tired I am, the weather, local festivals, fellow pilgrims opinion, etc...

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome rose.crez, it is great to have you here. From an earlier post of mine:

I would suggest that your very first step on this forum would be to explore the various topics which cover your specific concerns. There is a large storehouse of information available at your fingertips, and the search engine on this forum will help find the answers to the topics you need to research.

It is a bit overwhelming when you decide to do something like a Camino. But if you take a big breath and focus on one subject area at a time it will reduce the overwhelming and anxious feelings you have. You can start by looking at information to help you decide which route and what time of year you want to go. Decide if you have the time and desire to do an entire Camino, or is your time limited and you want to do a bit of the Camino over a few years. Once you have firmed up those areas, then things will start to come together in you mind as you plan your trip. Just start reading through the various forums to get the feel of how everything works and how folks interact.

Once you know the above, the specifics of travel, equipment to bring, accommodations, budget, training, etc, will begin to take shape. There are many good guidebooks and resources, some can be purchased from Ivar's store -- this forum's sponsor. Other online resources are available as well, as I'm sure you've discovered already.

But I highly suggest that you spend the time on this forum researching the answers to your questions in the huge archive of posts, and once your mind has begun to put things together, folks will be happy to help fill in the missing pieces.

Hello!
Thank you for your advice, I'm very grateful for your help. I've already spent quite some time on this forum but the subject areas are (in my opinion) most of the time a bit all over the place and, because of the many opinions, sometimes not very clear hence the reason why I chose to make a topic myself!
I agree with you that it's a bit overwhelming, but I don't have an anxious feeling at all. I already know which route (The Northern) and what time of year (end of May until the end of July - I'm going to walk apr. 30 days), some things just where a little unclear :)

Does anyone have advice for me?

If you already do long distance walking then please ignore what I have to say.

The starting point, to my mind is getting mind, body and equipment ready to do between 20 and 40 km per day, day after day. And to make the most of whatever route you decide on, is to start that preparation near home.

My suggestion is to work up to achieveing, say:
1) 700 metres of elevation gain in your training trips
2) 15 km before stopping for breakfast
3) all training trips with your pack, change of clothing etc
4) several multi day trips away from home

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Hi all,
This spring I'm going to walk my first Camino (Del Norte), and I'm a proper newbie! I've been trying to prepare my Camino but I've bumped into some things.:
-Which hostels are good?
Does anyone have advice for me? Thanks in advance!
Smile, laugh and say a lot of Hola, to your fellow pilgrims. Advice , mine is simple take each day as it comes, listern to your body and dont rush.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I finished the Norte in Santiago in December (went thru to Finisterre via Muxia)having started in Irun 25th October . The way is clearly marked with arrows and shells (Camino symbol) all the way .So the way is already mapped out for you. I am sure you will enjoy the Norte

Just a question about whether the coasts variations are clearly marked ? Any long “stages” best broken up? What footwear did you use? Thxs I’m off in 2 weeks

Hello!
Thank you for your advice, I'm very grateful for your help. I've already spent quite some time on this forum but the subject areas are (in my opinion) most of the time a bit all over the place and, because of the many opinions, sometimes not very clear hence the reason why I chose to make a topic myself!
I agree with you that it's a bit overwhelming, but I don't have an anxious feeling at all. I already know which route (The Northern) and what time of year (end of May until the end of July - I'm going to walk apr. 30 days), some things just where a little unclear :)
Rose. I’m starting to walk El Norte March 1st, I walked the complete Camino Frances + Fisterra + Muxia (1073 km recorded) last March-April. I try to,post on a FB daily when possible on a private page. You can contact me for more info to follow my Camino.

Just a question about whether the coasts variations are clearly marked ? Any long “stages” best broken up? What footwear did you use? Thxs I’m off in 2 weeks
I found some of the coastal variations not to clear. Any long stages are up to you/ your ability it is not a race so plan your stops each day on how you feel some of my days 17 Km one day 31km . My footwear North Face cross trainers . Hope this helps enjoy the Norte I did.

Attachments

• 6E65C156-FAC1-4639-B016-9E29C1EFD17D.jpeg
    6E65C156-FAC1-4639-B016-9E29C1EFD17D.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 9
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found some of the coastal variations not to clear. Any long stages are up to you/ your ability it is not a race so plan your stops each day on how you feel some of my days 17 Km one day 31km . My footwear North Face cross trainers . Hope this helps enjoy the Norte I did.
THank you. It’s comforting to know you wore cross trainings, I’ve got a Speedcross trail runner w a very aggressive tread. I plan to break up anything over 35 km but I think weather and open Albergues will be big influencers. Again thanks

One small, but useful, piece of advice from way back:-
If a Compostela is important and if you have a given number of days to walk then calculate your starting point in days backwards from Santiago. You need to judge how far you can realistically walk in a day and also if you want any rest days. Counting back from Santiago will then give you an approximate start point.
We have always started in Santander as it was where we landed. One day we will maybe look at the sections east of there - just out of interest.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.