• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer walking the CF next week

RayoDeLuna

Time of past OR future Camino
November/December (2016)
Hello everyone! I have spent the last few weeks reading a lot and preparing for my first Camino. Thank you for all the wonderful information on this Forum!!

I will be arriving at Paris CDG, taking the train to SJPDP and hopefully starting my walk on November 26 2016!

I sure hope I wont be the only one on the Camino on Christmas and New Years!!

Happy Holidays to all! I can't wait to complete the walk and come back to post about my experience and start planning for the next one!

Buen Camino, Rayo de Luna :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi and welcome here.
Enjoy your Camino. I guess you know that in this season you will have to take the Valcarlos route in SJPDP.
Take also into consideration the advice the people there at the pilgrim office will give.

Ultreia!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi and welcome here.
Enjoy your Camino. I guess you know that in this season you will have to take the Valcarlos route in SJPDP.
Take also into consideration the advice the people there at the pilgrim office will give.

Ultreia!
Yes. Thank you. All advice is welcomed! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello everyone! I have spent the last few weeks reading a lot and preparing for my first Camino. Thank you for all the wonderful information on this Forum!!

I will be arriving at Paris CDG, taking the train to SJPDP and hopefully starting my walk on November 26 2016!

Happy Holidays to all! I can't wait to complete the walk and come back to post about my experience and start planning for the next one!

Hello
My daughter (who will be 15 years old) and I will walk the CF next year 2017 at this very time, starting around 16 Nov from SJPP. Please let us know how you are going every now and again. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@GaryAus welcome to the forum and buen camino, ultreya! It's an amazing journey. Taking a daughter is very special. At that time of year I'd be making special preparations for the cold and difficult conditions; walking at a latitude that is the same distance north of the equator that Hobart is south, and at a much higher elevation. But do not be deterred, there are many of our members who absolutely love winter walking and think it is the best time to go. Just need to be sensible and listen to the local advice. Of course, the high route between SJPDP and Roncesvalles will be closed, but you will take the lovely alternative through Val Carlos, where there is an excellent albergue if you want to break the first long day. And forgive me if I am telling you stuff you already know.

There are some good threads on the forum from winter walkers - try the search function or use the tag "winter".

@RayoDeLuna, I'm just about to finish my first Camino (I walked the Frances, with 100km of the Le Puy route to begin with). I've met several parent & child walking couples (& one of my sons walked with me for a few days). It's a wonderful experience & I wish you both a great time together (whatever the season).
I just echo others about taking security seriously & listening to the veteran pilgrims in this forum.
Welcome & Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! Enjoy this wonderful journey. And yes... I am jealous...

Buen Camino!

Marcel

Hello
My daughter (who will be 15 years old) and I will walk the CF next year 2017 at this very time, starting around 16 Nov from SJPP. Please let us know how you are going every now and again. Buen Camino.
Gary,

Have a wonderful walk with your daughter. I hope to take my granddaughter to walk a section of the CF but she's only seven now. I guess she'll have to be about 12 before we can go. I look forward to reading your posts next year.

Buen Camino to you both, and to you RayoDeLuna (AKA 'Moonbeam') - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Heidi. My granddaughter has a few"issues", physical and psychological. She's been dealt a dud hand in too many ways. I'll have to wait and see how things develop. My hope is that I can coax her through an experience that will give her a strong sense of accomplishment. A walk of about a week or 10 days might be a rite of passage for her. I'll start a thread as I lay the groundwork for our "adventure" , as she calls our outings.

Mike

Rayo de Luna, By now you're in or beyond Pamplona. As a recently returned first-time pilgrim, on the Camino Francés, I offer the following advice (with all due apologies to Steven R. Covey). I am not for a moment suggesting that I adhered to these habits; rather, these are the product of my experience.

The Seven Habits of the Highly Effective Pilgrim

1. Have a purpose. As Peace Pilgrim said, a pilgrim is a wanderer with purpose. And the Irish Pilgrim Passport quotes the 5th Century Book of Lismore: “Going on pilgrimage without change of heart brings no reward from God. For it is by practicing virtue and not mere motion of the feet that we will be brought to heaven”. Whether it be religious, spiritual, personal or merely physical, or any combination of these, having a purpose provides a solid foundation for undertaking the Camino.

2. Stay focussed. This doesn’t mean developing an intense look in the eyes and striding forward with great energy every morning at 5.30am, but a regular check-in with the original purpose of your Camino, identifying and necessary adjustments and reasserting your goal, keeps the mind fresh and engaged.

3. Stretch yourself. You may already be outside your comfort zone in multi-occupant unisex dormitory accommodation. Well, go a little further. Strike up a conversation with a fellow pilgrim who might not be someone you’d normally meet or interact with. You already share a common goal of reaching Santiago, some time, and what’s the worst that can happen?

4. Stretch yourself – physically, this time. Learn a set of stretches for the feet, legs and arms, and perform these rigorously and conscientiously morning, noon and night. Ignore the pitying or astonished (perhaps even admiring?) looks of fellow pilgrims. A routine, faithfully executed, could stave off the dreaded shin splints or tendinitis, allow you to keep your mind on the greater purpose of your Camino (see 1 above!) and relieve you of the need to worry about whether you’ll be able to finish or not.

5. Walk to the beat of your own drum. Don’t be dragged into a race for space. If you fall in with a group that’s walking too fast or too slow for you, return to your own pace. It’s your Camino, not anyone else’s.

6. Seek solitude, so that thoughts can arise, and you can open your mind to ideas, inspiration, challenges, and so that you can meet yourself. You can do this anywhere, but the broad skies of the Meseta can provide an ideal backdrop.

7. Seek company. To a significant degree, the Camino is the people you meet and the conversations you have, whether trivial or profound. It’s in the easy camaraderie of the mid-morning coffee-and-tortilla-española, of the queue outside the albergue, of the shared meal. It’s also the deeper conversations you can have as you walk with a complete stranger.

Buen Camino y feliz Navidad

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

I hope you have reached Pamplona.
Any feed back for the new members about the early winter walk

Hello
Hello

Hi, Will are you still doing the CF in November? I am walking by myself and will be starting a few days ahead of you.

4 weeks out. Bit excited, bit anxious. Start 13 Nov from SJPP. Flights all booked, gear works, last few weeks of training. My daughter has pulled out (shopping in London with her mother and sister a greater pull for a 15 year old than walking 800 kms with her father - don't know why) but a friend from Sydney has stepped in so now 2 blokes on the trail. We will finish just before Christmas and then meet up with the families who are all coming over from Australia. Should be a walk and Christmas to remember.

May I say how invaluable this forum has been. Thank you to all who contribute. I have never done a long walk before and really needed to access all the information contained here across many areas. It's been a fantastic help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back