• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fleece, thin down or both under North Face rain jacket? (Leaving tomorrow)

GreenCat

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
I'm walking my first Camino, leaving for Spain tomorrow. Need last minute kit advice please! I'm small, female, retirement age (ahem 😆) and tend to feel the cold, but obvs also want to pack very light. 10% of my weight would = 12 pounds. We're only walking Sarria to Santiago (due to time constraints), carrying our packs.

Taking a hip-length North Face Dry Vent jacket (and rain trousers and poncho for serious downpours.) What should I take to wear as a mid layer? - ultrathin fleece jacket, ultrathin down jacket (packs into a pouch) or both?

Forecast is up to 18c some days, but sometimes 13c, and down to 7 or 8 at night. I'm taking a summer weight bag and silk liner, hoping hostels can also offer blankets, but thinking my down jacket may be useful in the night. Both jackets are treasured so don't want to discard on the way. Thanks especially for advice from similar cold-challenged but small ladies 😊

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I took a thinnish fleece and an insulated waistcoat and my waterproof.
In many decades of walking in the hills and mountains, I’ve only once put in a pair of rain pants. I’ve given up carrying them.
Merino base layers will keep you warm by day and at night; wear your fleece and/or down if you get cold in the night.
Buen Camino!

I took a thinnish fleece and an insulated waistcoat and my waterproof.
In many decades of walking in the hills and mountains, I’ve only once put in a pair of rain pants. I’ve given up carrying them.
Merino base layers will keep you warm by day and at night; wear your fleece and/or down if you get cold in the night.
Buen Camino!
Thanks Chinacat. I have a very lightweight down waistcoat I could pair with my fleece, that's a good thought! I'm also taking a lightweight long-sleeved merino base-layer as per your suggestion. I can't wear base layer leggings unless it's below 10 centigrade all day ... my system seems to want cold legs and warm core. But I am attached to my petite length, zip-on rain trousers, they've saved me in drenching rain before this, and if my legs do become too chilly I can always pop them on for another layer. Thanks for the advice :)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm walking my first Camino, leaving for Spain tomorrow. Need last minute kit advice please! I'm small, female, retirement age (ahem 😆) and tend to feel the cold, but obvs also want to pack very light. 10% of my weight would = 12 pounds. We're only walking Sarria to Santiago (due to time constraints), carrying our packs.

Taking a hip-length North Face Dry Vent jacket (and rain trousers and poncho for serious downpours.) What should I take to wear as a mid layer? - ultrathin fleece jacket, ultrathin down jacket (packs into a pouch) or both?

Forecast is up to 18c some days, but sometimes 13c, and down to 7 or 8 at night. I'm taking a summer weight bag and silk liner, hoping hostels can also offer blankets, but thinking my down jacket may be useful in the night. Both jackets are treasured so don't want to discard on the way. Thanks especially for advice from similar cold-challenged but small ladies 😊
Generally start with minimum layers if you have a vent jacket as the outer layer as you will definitely warm up as you walk. Easier than starting fully layered then having to stop soon after, take off your pack, jacket etc to remove one layer. Light weight merino is my choice, 150 grams for spring and summer. 200 grams for cool/cold conditions
Good luck

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have this every time I go on a long walk! Writing here as a retirement age woman who also runs cold! Sometimes I take the light down jacket (cosier for evenings) and sometimes something synthetic (better for rain). If the weights are about the same, the synthetic option can be used in more varied circumstances. The synthetic is better if you think you might have rain. And I know lots of people never use their rain pants - but walking in the spring I have never not needed them! I always find it hard not to take the down jacket though.

Just completed this exact Camino with my wife, last three days constant rain, and on the last day, boots gave in to the muddy puddles, wore the cheapest rain over trousers from decathlon and not a single drop of water, wife the same. We both had North Face rain coats and no problem, temp was about 6C hands got cold, but my wife had a merino long sleeve and a Decathlon waistcoat fleece. Only point we were cold was at the very end of the day. The terrain was very, very muddy and wet on the last two days. Buen Camino

I used to take a fleece as well as my rain shell, but last Camino I took a thin down jacket (actually the liner of a LL Bean rain jacket) and found I preferred that. I've never taken rain trousers, just quick dry hiking trousers. I've never missed them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Generally start with minimum layers if you have a vent jacket as the outer layer as you will definitely warm up as you walk. Easier than starting fully layered then having to stop soon after, take off your pack, jacket etc to remove one layer. Light weight merino is my choice, 150 grams for spring and summer. 200 grams for cool/cold conditions
Good luck
Thanks, I'll try that - starting light rather than fully wrapped ... it's going to be a learning process.

I'm bringing my one spring/summer weight merino top, to wear over an ultralight base layer ... Can't wear the merino next to my skin though it's meant to be no-itch.

You should take either the fleece or light down but not both. I personally like a fleece because if I need to sleep in it, to me it’s more comfortable.

You should take either the fleece or light down but not both. I personally like a fleece because if I need to sleep in it, to me it’s more comfortable.
In the end I took the light fleece... as @lovelyshell says, fleece can be cosy at night, it served as a sort of dressing gown at hostels. Also took light North Face rain jacket, both worn over one or two v light base layers depending on temperature. My poncho acted as extra insulation on horrid rainy mornings. Finally I threw in an ultralight down vest ... which I did NOT need ... live and learn!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have this every time I go on a long walk! Writing here as a retirement age woman who also runs cold! Sometimes I take the light down jacket (cosier for evenings) and sometimes something synthetic (better for rain). If the weights are about the same, the synthetic option can be used in more varied circumstances. The synthetic is better if you think you might have rain. And I know lots of people never use their rain pants - but walking in the spring I have never not needed them! I always find it hard not to take the down jacket though.
Yes I love my rain trousers... They've served me well on this, my first Camino. I left the down jacket at home, took the fleece, but couldn't resist also taking an ultra-tiny down vest. Turned out NOT to be needed. Nor was my summer weight down sleeping bag. Every single albergue had thick blankets or was well heated or both, all I needed was my silk liner!

I used to take a fleece as well as my rain shell, but last Camino I took a thin down jacket (actually the liner of a LL Bean rain jacket) and found I preferred that. I've never taken rain trousers, just quick dry hiking trousers. I've never missed them.
Thanks David, it's probably a question of trying different combos til you discover the right one for your needs. And luck, if the weather matches your prediction or not!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.