• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flexibility while having luggage transported

LisaJo

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Portuguese
Am planning on walking from Porto to Santiago with a day pack, and having luggage transported...question: how to maintain flexibility of distance walked from day to day, and still get to have luggage transported?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Am planning on walking from Porto to Santiago with a day pack, and having luggage transported...question: how to maintain flexibility of distance walked from day to day, and still get to have luggage transported?

The simple answer is you can't maintain total flexibility if you're having your luggage transported. If you start at point A and have your luggage sent forward to point B, you're 'committing' to going at least as far as point B to pick up that luggage again. Of course, there is nothing stopping you from collecting the luggage and going beyond point B if you felt able. Also, if you didn't make it to point B then I'm sure there are ways to have your luggage transported backwards. I would imagine that the latter would be a costly solution, so prepare to be financially very flexible if that's what you choose to do.

Potential conflicts with the place where you ship your bag. I would assume you would not ship your bag to a place where you do not have a reservation, so if you can't make it you might need to take a taxi or lose your deposit. If you plan to pick up your bag and continue further, you are going to find yourself in a very contentious situation with the hotel owner.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Beyond what’s in your day pack (which will surely include rain gear, an extra top layer of some sort, some first aid supplies, snacks and water), add 2 changes of underwear, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a small stick of deodorant. And that’s all you’ll ever need in total on the Camino. Believe me, and thousands of others who have done this before, and who will give you the same exact advice. That way, with the addition of only 1 - 2 lbs. beyond what you have in your day pack, you’ll be totally free of the need to ship anything and your camino will be hassle-free. Especially if you’re planning on staying in pensions or hotels and you don’t need to carry a towel or a sleepsheet / bag. Any other extra stuff, if you have any, you can just ship to your ultimate destination in Santiago, either to Casa Ivar or to the Spanish post office (Correos) in Santiago.

If freedom is important to you, you’ll be much happier this way.

This is sort of a 'can I keep my cake intact but still eat it' kind of question. I just don't see that the two things are compatible with impromptu decision making.

Two questions:
1. How are you doing your booking for lodgings; are you pre-booking the whole thing or pre-booking the night before?

2. Why have you decided to ship things ahead instead of carrying a backpack? I am wondering if there is a medical or physical condition which precludes doing so.

There is nothing 'wrong' about shipping your pack, and if injury or disability makes it impossible to carry basic essentials, a few people are forced to do so. It is unfortunate that businesses who make money doing so have created a culture in only 5-6 years that suddenly makes us feel it is 'the norm' to need this, to bring so much we wouldn't want to carry it. Rejoice if you are healthy enough to have the choice to walk with the freedom to enjoy the surprises. Rejoice if you don't really need to add extra investigation, planning, costs and worry-weight to your pilgrimage. As in life, freedom is easily lost if we don't struggle a bit in protecting it :>).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is unfortunate that businesses who make money doing so have created a culture in only 5-6 years that suddenly makes us feel it is 'the norm' to need this, to bring so much we wouldn't want to carry it.
It seems to come up more on the forum and FB groups than I actually experienced on the Camino.

It seems to come up more on the forum and FB groups than I actually experienced on the Camino.
As someone who returned to the Camino Frances in 2016 after a 14 year gap the prevalence of luggage transport services astounded me. A concept which simply had never entered my thinking in 2002 and was never raised in conversation with other pilgrims then. I was particularly struck by the number of large suitcases I saw waiting for collection and delivery - clearly belonging to people who had no intention of ever carrying their gear, not even to and from the airport. Of course that is their choice but I did think it sad that someone would deliberately choose to deny themselves the freedom and flexibility that travelling light allows. A friend posted about his journey around Shikoku a few years ago. One of the replies was a question about luggage services: if there were none the enquirer was not interested. Sad that one's travels should be determined by this one issue.

With luggage transport you can only enjoy limited flexibility.

Depending on the service you choose, you have either a fixed schedule for the whole journey or you decide on a day-to-day base (i. e. if you use Correos). Some Services deliver your luggage to any place you specify en route, some others only to your pre-booked accomodation.

So you should ask yourself what you want and what you need.

If you can not carry a heavy backpack due to health issues, there are other possibilities to enlighten your journey. First of all only take what is absolutely necessary. If you stay in hostels and pensions you do not have to carry a sleeping-bag, towels or soap. Some people use a Trailer (e. g. Carrix).

BC
Alexandra

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have also seen large luggage pieces waiting to be picked up, but I rarely walked with anyone using these services. It seemed that they were more often being used by groups who kept to themselves on the Camino.

You can ship a bag ahead but timing of delivery may make it difficult to walk further too. Your bag gets picked up as part of a chain of pickups, and then delivers the same way. Sometimes the distance makes so it may not arrive until later in the day. Certainly, it won’t be delivered while the albergue is closed. Some people go to their home or away during the day, returning to open around 2pm. So imagine all the bags starting to get delivered at that point... its best to have a destination confirmed. You may be able to pick it up and walk 5km more.

Potential conflicts with the place where you ship your bag. I would assume you would not ship your bag to a place where you do not have a reservation, so if you can't make it you might need to take a taxi or lose your deposit. If you plan to pick up your bag and continue further, you are going to find yourself in a very contentious situation with the hotel owner.
Makes sense!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
With luggage transport you can only enjoy limited flexibility.

Depending on the service you choose, you have either a fixed schedule for the whole journey or you decide on a day-to-day base (i. e. if you use Correos). Some Services deliver your luggage to any place you specify en route, some others only to your pre-booked accomodation.

So you should ask yourself what you want and what you need.

If you can not carry a heavy backpack due to health issues, there are other possibilities to enlighten your journey. First of all only take what is absolutely necessary. If you stay in hostels and pensions you do not have to carry a sleeping-bag, towels or soap. Some people use a Trailer (e. g. Carrix).

BC
Alexandra
Yes, it is for health reasons; we will figure it out once there... thanks for your reply!

This is sort of a 'can I keep my cake intact but still eat it' kind of question. I just don't see that the two things are compatible with impromptu decision making.

Two questions:
1. How are you doing your booking for lodgings; are you pre-booking the whole thing or pre-booking the night before?

2. Why have you decided to ship things ahead instead of carrying a backpack? I am wondering if there is a medical or physical condition which precludes doing so.
We will book ahead for lodging on a daily basis; medical conditions do preclude our being able to carry backpacks, no matter how little they contain. We ARE however looking forward to the wonderful freedom of just walking every day for whatever distance works.Not caught up in any particular goal; just want to enjoy the meeting of many different people and the places that we will see.. and the wine/food of course!!

I was in Europe for business a couple of years ago and walked part of the Camino at the end of my trip. I had a suitcase with my business clothes in it that I had shipped ahead of me. So people have reasons for having a suitcase shipped that you might not have considered.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was in Europe for business a couple of years ago and walked part of the Camino at the end of my trip. I had a suitcase with my business clothes in it that I had shipped ahead of me. So people have reasons for having a suitcase shipped that you might not have considered.

I don't think that was the issue: someone shipping baggage. The issue really is how to best advise on how to reconcile issues of flexibility of how far one can walk each day VS where they need to be in order to get to their luggage. And that is precisely why I asked the questions that I did :)

We will book ahead for lodging on a daily basis; medical conditions do preclude our being able to carry backpacks, no matter how little they contain. We ARE however looking forward to the wonderful freedom of just walking every day for whatever distance works.Not caught up in any particular goal; just want to enjoy the meeting of many different people and the places that we will see.. and the wine/food of course!!

You will find that after the first couple of days, you will have a great 'feel' about how far you want to walk in a day. So, at the end of the day, you can take that knowledge and pick your next day's destination. Then when your destination is determined, go to booking.com or hotels.com, etc, and find and reserve your next night's lodging.

If the next day's walk is too tough (hills, fatigue, etc) and you find that you cannot reasonably walk to your destination and lodging for that night, no biggie; you can get stop at a bar or restaurant, etc along the way and call for a taxi, or see if there is a bus that you can catch.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back