• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying back to Paris from Santiago

Kuznitz

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 (May/June)
My wife and I will be walking CF this summer (starting May 13). We've allotted 38 days - though our hope is to finish in 35. The question is: Do we need to book plane tickets in advance for our flight back to Paris or can we wait until the last minute. We realize last minute tickets might cost a bit more, but we want have as much flexibility as possible and were unsure how booked up flights get.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I will be walking CF this summer (starting May 13). We've allotted 38 days - though our hope is to finish in 35. The question is: Do we need to book plane tickets in advance for our flight back to Paris or can we wait until the last minute. We realize last minute tickets might cost a bit more, but we want have as much flexibility as possible and were unsure how booked up flights get.

You have identified the risk ... and there is no way you will get any certainty about how booked up flights get from anyone on this forum.

Well, since you are only talking about a three day window, you could plan to spend those last days in Santiago (there's so much to do there, and you can also take a bus to Finisterre for a day or two) and just book your flight for the last possible day. Is the issue that you would like to spend a couple of days at the end in Paris but aren't sure you will have the time?

You are always likely to be able to fly to Paris from Santiago on a day's notice, but the price might be pretty high a day or two ahead of time. Kayak shows one way flights to Paris for $338 for two days from now, and I would guess that in the summer it would be higher. And it's not a non-stop flight -- all require connections that I see (there may be something direct), but you are likely to have to change in Madrid, Barcelona, London, etc, making it at least a 7 hour ordeal.

This may be too late for you if you've already bought your tickets, but I know that many pilgrims in the past have flown into Paris (or Biarritz) and out of Santiago to Madrid. This multi-city or open jaw ticket is usually not much more than the round trip ticket into Paris or Madrid. I always do a multi-city ticket and am happy that I can always get home in one day's travel leaving from Santiago early in the morning, through Madrid, then on to the Midwest.

Buen camino to a fellow Midwesterner. Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In all likelihood you will finish in 34 days. Spend an extra day in Santiago to rest up and see the sights and fly out of Santiago on the 36th day. Vueling has flights to Paris CDG from Santiago nonstop. Book now and save some bucks.

Thanks for the replies. We'll probably end up booking ahead to be safe.
Laurie: Thanks especially for the detailed response. It is much appreciated. I was indeed trying to figure out a way to get to Paris if we could fit it in at the end. Its my wife's 60th birthday right about the time we will finish and I thought it would be nice to end there. The Camino is my idea, celebrating my 60th birthday. Trying to do both the Camino and stopping in Paris may simply be trying to do too much at once. Oh well...

@Kuznitz Santiago and Madrid are also a lovely places for a celebration. Wonderful restaurants, great nightlife, some charming old hotels. If in Santiago you could stay in the Parador. It could be very special and romantic. I'd love to celebrate a special birthday there - and, of course, a little gold shell pendant would be the perfect gift!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Months ago I booked Vueling direct to Paris from Santiago. Summer out of Santiago must be an utter madhouse rush, but I didn't want to chance a same-day ticket purchase in early May either! I've left myself a couple of days off in Santiago for a bus ride to the Ocean. I didn't want the stress of worrying about my ticket while trying a "soft landing" and a massage and a beer in Santiago.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kuznitz Santiago and Madrid are also a lovely places for a celebration. Wonderful restaurants, great nightlife, some charming old hotels. If in Santiago you could stay in the Parador. It could be very special and romantic. I'd love to celebrate a special birthday there - and, of course, a little gold shell pendant would be the perfect gift!
Booked the Parador for the end of our trip. Now I just have to look for that pendant. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Kuznitz you will find them in Santiago. Hard to find elsewhere, I know, ever since I lost mine I've looked.

Booked the Parador for the end of our trip. Now I just have to look for that pendant. :D
A suggestion re the pendant: I bought a small silver shell from Ivar's online shop (from memory, about thirty bucks) and bought a very nice 29-Australian-dollar stainless steel chain which goes perfectly with it. Stainless is robust and zero-maintenance, looks just like well-polished silver. The shell comes attached to a very tasteful silver 'collar' - my chain slips through that. The shell is designed for a woman's charm bracelet. As I am not sexist, and I'm a person who enjoys novel solutions, this is a very non-austentatious way of carrying a shell. And it couldn't be easier to pack and carry. I wear it all the time, will wear it for many years to come (even though I don't even start my Camino until next week). I'm a design-and-quality snob, this solution works for me. I couldn't find anything of this kind which was designed for men, it just seems unisex and tasteful.

Buen Camino, - Mike

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In the season, a wood carver just before Cacabelos sells handmade wooden shells on a leather necklace. The list price is negotiable!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just booked a flight from Santiago to Paris in mid May directly on the Iberia website for 74 Euros.

Anyone know if a pack can be carried on to Iberia air from Santiago to Paris? Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
True, I was just searching for someone who may have personally done this themselves when flying the airline.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back