• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying from SDC to Madrid - a simple yet frustrating question

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport?

Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating trying to confirm the answer. Ryanair, in its infinite wisdom, doesn't include the name of the airport when you book. It just says Madrid. And Google searches don't turn up a simple answer.

I assume it's the same airport, but I see there are actually three airports in Madrid, and don't want to find out after I booked that I'm arriving at the wrong airport...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks. Google is smart enough to use the three-letter airport code. Ryanair spells out the city name. Perhaps further into the booking process it would display the airport code, but not initially.
The first screenshot I posted shows the airport code on Ryanair at the beginning of the booking process.

Thanks. Google is smart enough to use the three-letter airport code. Ryanair spells out the city name. Perhaps further into the booking process it would display the airport code, but not initially.
MAD is both the airport code for the airport, and the city code. I don’t think the other airports in Madrid have a three letter code whoch indicates they probably don’t have/can’t have any commercial flights in. Ryanair does differentiate at the start of the booking process using MAD as an airport code and continues through?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Madrid's other two airports do not accommodate commercial flights. All commercial airlines fly to MAD, Madrid-Barajas.

You can also take Iberia, and they let you in with carry-on free of charge, unlike Ryan Air's huge fee.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first screenshot I posted shows the airport code on Ryanair at the beginning of the booking process.
The screenshot you sent was from Google, not Ryanair. Look closer.

Here's what you see on the Ryanair site. No airport code. This is the second screen. The first only lists the city as well. All the screens at least up until you provide your credit card only lists "Madrid".

1712934981864.png

It’s RyanAir - they’ll just dump you out the back while still flying in order to save money. Actually landing at an airport is an extra fee….
Well I have flown them well over 50 times with no issues! Their punctuality, regularity and baggage delivery stats match up well to competitors.

As for price you need to obviously need to trade off a fare that include hand baggage versus a fare that doesn’t and the see the costs of the bag (generally cheaper when you make the booking) take the total too.

Here's what you see on the Ryanair site. No airport code. This is the second screen. The first only lists the city as well. All the screens at least up until you provide your credit card only lists "Madrid".

View attachment 167705
Not so. When you search for a city pair on the Ryanair App it list cities and airport three letter codes next to them. Have a look and see how it shows London for example. If there were two operational commercial airports in Madrid it would show both, one as MAD and the other as the relevant airport code!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not so. When you search for a city pair on the Ryanair App it list cities and airport three letter codes next to them. Have a look and see how it shows London for example. If there were two operational commercial airports in Madrid it would show both, one as MAD and the other as the relevant airport code!
As I mentioned, I'm using their website, not the app. The website shows the city pairs, not the airport codes. It is what it is, I'm not being paid to disparage Ryanair or anything.

I posted two screenshots in the same post, the first one is from Ryanair (yes, the app, not the website) and I underlined the MAD code.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I'm using their website, not the app. The website shows the city pairs, not the airport codes. It is what it is, I'm not being paid to disparage Ryanair or anything.
Ok look at how the website deals with London and Milan. Or even Oslo! City name and airport name. It’s doesn’t need to do that for Madrid as there is only 1 airport commercial airport.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I posted two screenshots in the same post, the first one is from Ryanair and I even underlined the MAD code for you.
I posted a screenshot from desktop above that I took a few minutes ago, and here’s a screenshot from mobile. No airport code.
IMG_9443.jpeg

Ok look at how the website deals with London and Milan. Or even Oslo! City name and airport name. It’s doesn’t need to do that for Madrid as there is only 1 airport commercial airport.
Fair enough, but if that's the case that's hardly intuitive for passengers booking. It's not reasonable to expect them to already be aware that there is only one airport that accepts passengers in Madrid and therefore they don't bother with the airport code. I think this is the first airline in decades of travel where I haven't seen the airport code used.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fair enough, but if that's the case that's hardly intuitive for passengers booking. It's not reasonable to expect them to already be aware that there is only one airport that accepts passengers in Madrid and therefore they don't bother with the airport code. I think this is the first airline in decades of travel where I haven't seen the airport code

Fair enough, but if that's the case that's hardly intuitive for passengers booking. It's not reasonable to expect them to already be aware that there is only one airport that accepts passengers in Madrid and therefore they don't bother with the airport code. I think this is the first airline in decades of travel where I haven't seen the airport code used.
Sure , MAD is the airport code. Maybe they could say Madrid Barajas / maybe some airlines do! Have a great trip!

Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport?

Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating trying to confirm the answer. Ryanair, in its infinite wisdom, doesn't include the name of the airport when you book. It just says Madrid. And Google searches don't turn up a simple answer.

I assume it's the same airport, but I see there are actually three airports in Madrid, and don't want to find out after I booked that I'm arriving at the wrong airport...
As an observation, be aware that MAD vies with CDG in Paris for the highest degree of difficulty in time to negotiate its idiosyncrasies. This may be my sensitivity but do allow plenty of time….

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All of this is ...just.... MAD-dening!!!!!!

technically i can make it even more confusing for there is another code for it - LEMD (same airport I assure you)

and THAT said - its part of the so-called "parents airports" coupled with Paderborn Lippstadt Airport in Germany (i.e. MADre & PADre)

Hope this lightens up everyone's dispositions and given that the answer to OP's question has been sufficiently provided - All Y'all have a good happy & healthy weekend

:)

Last edited:
One thing to consider. Yes, it's Barajas. OK.
Clearly that's settled.

But. There are 4 terminals and it takes some time to get the bus from one to another, not to mention figuring out where to go if you've not done that before.

Today I landed in T2, expecting to land in T4. A wrinkle, and fortunately I had plenty of time to get to T4 and the crecanias to Chamartin. It would have been another story altogether - a real nail-biter- if that time cushion hadn't been there. So do give yourself lots of time to deal with such surprises.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back