• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about trains from Madrid-to Leon November

Marbe2

Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
Usually, when getting from Madrid to Leon we pick up a high speed train in the late morning Early Fall or Spring) which goes from Chamartin to Leon in circa 2 hrs. Currently, there is no high speed Alvia train going out of Charmartin until around 8pm. Renfe shows no direct high speed trains originating out of Chamartin until night time?

My question is, will there be an Alvia two hour train added, scheduled, in a couple of weeks from now? Or not? Or am I looking at a regular off season train schedule now? Is the construction going on at Chamartin resulting in departures being rerouted away from Chamartin during the day? I already checked with Deutsche Bahn. They suggest additional trains going out in the afternoon taking circa 3.5 hours changing in Palencia, but unable to book? Trainline obviously follows Renfe release schedule. Any Insights appreciated….

I

Attachments

• IMG_2416.png
    IMG_2416.png
    467.1 KB · Views: 1,434
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Usually, when getting from Madrid to Leon we pick up a high speed train in the late morning Early Fall or Spring) which goes from Chamartin to Leon in circa 2 hrs. Currently, there is no high speed Alvia train going out of Charmartin until around 8pm. Renfe shows no direct high speed trains originating out of Chamartin until night time?

My question is, will there be an Alvia two hour train added, scheduled, in a couple of weeks from now? Or not? Or am I looking at a regular off season train schedule now? Is the construction going on at Chamartin resulting in departures being rerouted away from Chamartin during the day? I already checked with Deutsche Bahn. They suggest additional trains going out in the afternoon taking circa 3.5 hours changing in Palencia, but unable to book? Trainline obviously follows Renfe release schedule. Any Insights appreciated….

I
Hi. I note the fast train ls there until 06 Nov and they are not there from 07 Nov onwards. If your are on Twitter or X as it is now knows and search on latest for ‘Renfe Madrid Leon’ you will see that this question has been raised and Renfe has responded by saying

Para el trayecto León-Madrid, debido a las obras que se están realizando en la infraestructura, hay un bloqueo preventivo en los trenes de ese recorrido. La oferta completa de trenes se encuentra disponible para la compra hasta el 06/11/2023. Esto no implica que no vayan a 1/3.

I think they mean they are unclear from 07 Nov but I am not sure.

I can pop into the Alicante Renfe office in morning and see if they have any views/ news?

I can see a 2 hour AVE train on Nov. 8 at a 8:25 p.m. on trainline. Don't know when in November you are traveling? There is a bus schedule on Alsa. Takes about 4 hours or so.

I used Trainline.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I also see it on Nov. 15.
Yes I think we are talking the daytime trains.

The english translation is

For the León-Madrid route, due to the works being carried out on the infrastructure, there is a preventive blockade on the trains on that route. The complete train offer is available for purchase until 11/06/2023. This does not imply that they do not go to 1/3

So I think they are saying that the non publication of the train does not imply they do not run till 1 Mar.

Yes I think we are talking the daytime trains.

The english translation is

For the León-Madrid route, due to the works being carried out on the infrastructure, there is a preventive blockade on the trains on that route. The complete train offer is available for purchase until 11/06/2023. This does not imply that they do not go to 1/3

So I think they are saying that the non publication of the train does not imply they do not run till 1 Mar.
This is helpful, Thanks! As we both noted Renfe is running a night high speed train, likely after the workers stop for the day. I suspected that the construction might be close to Chamartin as the place was under significant construction when we were there in the Spring. Improvements and repairs need to happen at some point, so I can understand late November being a time when construction closures becomes more practical.

I will likely purchase a slow train ugh…with the ability, costing an additional €10 euros, to cancel or change ticket at no additional cost. This way, if an additional high speed train opens up, then I can easily make the change.

BTW two couples I know have recently contracted the new strain of Covid on bus trips! My thinking is that the trains will hopefully have better ventilation, and the seats will be further apart. In addition, I get bus sick after a few hours, especially after an all night flight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is helpful, Thanks! As we both noted Renfe is running a night high speed train, likely after the workers stop for the day. I suspected that the construction might be close to Chamartin as the place was under significant construction when we were there in the Spring. Improvements and repairs need to happen at some point, so I can understand late November being a time when construction closures becomes more practical.

I will likely purchase a slow train ugh…with the ability, costing an additional €10 euros, to cancel or change ticket at no additional cost. This way, if an additional high speed train opens up, then I can easily make the change.

BTW two couples I know have recently contracted the new strain of Covid on bus trips! My thinking is that the trains will hopefully have better ventilation, and the seats will be further apart. In addition, I get bus sick after a few hours, especially after an all night flight.
We believe we got it on the train two years ago so consider a high quality mask and a booster before you go.

Sorry, but I am confused. Are you traveling in November or next March? I have found that I can not book the high speed trains more than 90 days out, although the response generally says "not available yet", or too early to book. I am looking for next June and only find trains through February (from Chamartin to Oviedo). Take some sanitizing wipes and give your seat a good wipe down. We both hang a bottle of hand sanitizer off our packs to clean our hands constantly...Good luck!
I found this on Trainline (part of booking.com) https://www.thetrainline.com/book/r...tedOutward=vCRnWI5sthE=:domNJMjcPo8=:Standard

Last edited:
Sorry, but I am confused. Are you traveling in November or next March? I have found that I can not book the high speed trains more than 90 days out, although the response generally says "not available yet", or too early to book. I am looking for next June and only find trains through February (from Chamartin to Oviedo). Take some sanitizing wipes and give your seat a good wipe down. We both hang a bottle of hand sanitizer off our packs to clean our hands constantly...Good luck!
I found this on Trainline (part of booking.com) https://www.thetrainline.com/book/results?origin=urn:trainline:generic:loc:6668&destination=urn:trainline:generic:loc:6660&outwardDate=2023-11-07T10:00:00&outwardDateType=departAfter&journeySearchType=single&passengers[]=1963-10-11|87d483c2-3c67-488a-a95e-0ee5e57567ba&passengers[]=1963-10-11|0e13f630-4577-4969-ac8c-5aad51ac3dac&directSearch=false&lang=en-us&selectedOutward=vCRnWI5sthE=:domNJMjcPo8=:Standard
Traveling in late November! Yes, there is an evening train to Leon that arrives in under 2hrs but we are searching for a fast train around 10am to 12pm. They aren’t scheduled, likely because of construction improvements on that route.
See above # 5.
Renfe is not as predictable about when it posts its train schedules as some other countries in the EU. Sometimes they do not not post some fast trains till less than 60 days before departure. (see seat61.com). Mark Smith, the author writes

• When does booking open?
    This is a major problem with Renfe. In theory, tickets should go on sale 60 days ahead for all trains other than AVE trains which should open 90 days ahead. In practice, Renfe is a law unto itself and loads what it likes when it likes, in blocks of dates, sometimes as little as 30 days before departure and often loading some trains and not others. If you go online and don't see the complete train service which you're expecting to see and it's over a month before departure, WAIT, as the chances are that all trains are not yet loaded. Renfe is particularly lax in opening bookings for dates after the timetable changes at midnight on the 2nd Saturday in June and 2nd Saturday in December.”

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For what it's worth, I'm on an AVE high-speed train in the reverse direction (Madrid - León) next week on Oct 19th in mid-afternoon. There were several options.

Last edited:
I heard RENFE blocked all booking options from the 7th of November on between Gijón/Oviedo and Madrid. Rumours are that this is because it will be the starting date of the new AVE connection between Asturias and Madrid.

If true, it is worth waiting because RENFE normally gives enormous discounts on the first tickets on new AVE lines. This is quite a spectacular new line, by the way. Straight through the Cantabrian mountainrange, worked on for about 20 years.

I heard RENFE blocked all booking options from the 7th of November on between Gijón/Oviedo and Madrid. Rumours are that this is because it will be the starting date of the new AVE connection between Asturias and Madrid.

If true, it is worth waiting because RENFE normally gives enormous discounts on the first tickets on new AVE lines. This is quite a spectacular new line, by the way. Straight through the Cantabrian mountainrange, worked on for about 20 years.
I would appreciate hearing if this new route opens up and cheap tickets are available. I'll need to get back to Madrid for a Nov 9 return flight. A detour to the north coast and a chance to see this new route would be great. If anyone hears anything please post!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Traveling in late November! Yes, there is an evening train to Leon that arrives in under 2hrs but we are searching for a fast train around 10am to 12pm. They aren’t scheduled, likely because of construction improvements on that route.
See above # 5.
Renfe is not as predictable about when it posts its train schedules as some other countries in the EU. Sometimes they do not not post some fast trains till less than 60 days before departure. (see seat61.com). Mark Smith, the author writes

• When does booking open?
    This is a major problem with Renfe. In theory, tickets should go on sale 60 days ahead for all trains other than AVE trains which should open 90 days ahead. In practice, Renfe is a law unto itself and loads what it likes when it likes, in blocks of dates, sometimes as little as 30 days before departure and often loading some trains and not others. If you go online and don't see the complete train service which you're expecting to see and it's over a month before departure, WAIT, as the chances are that all trains are not yet loaded. Renfe is particularly lax in opening bookings for dates after the timetable changes at midnight on the 2nd Saturday in June and 2nd Saturday in December.”
Hello @Marbe2 seats for later November seem to be on sale now?!

Good to hear!

Using Renfe a fair bit at mo and getting quite a few schedule changes for infrastructure changes 17 Oct to 31 Jan.. all fairly minor for me so far but look out for them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back