• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying my bikes from California to Paris?

torreyjames

Time of past OR future Camino
(Plan to bicycle the Camino France/Camino de Santiago in 2014)
I am planning a cycling trip on the Camino France in June. I would like to take my own bike with me to ride, however have to keep a small budget in mind. Does anyone know the cheapest way to transport my mountain bike as luggage?
and... can you actually fit your bike in a box that is a total of 66 inches (lenght plus width plus height totaling 66")
Buen Camino
James.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am planning a cycling trip on the Camino France in June. I would like to take my own bike with me to ride, however have to keep a small budget in mind. Does anyone know the cheapest way to transport my mountain bike as luggage?
and... can you actually fit your bike in a box that is a total of 66 inches (lenght plus width plus height totaling 66")
Buen Camino
James.

Since you are flying trans Atlantic, you're already allowed one check in up to 23KG/50LBS, see what the airlines policy on bicycles, you could pack it up in two boxes, you'll have to pay for the second box.

Thank you offroad Ford fan!!!
I have not bought my plane tickets yet, I am waiting for the 90 days prior to flight fare drops that most airlines do. However I probably will be flying Delta Air. I contacted them regarding international travel with my bike; Their response was as I expected:
..."the charge to check your bike is $150." that means each way for a grand total of $600 for the wife and I to ride our own bikes in Europe. Ouch... and I did not ask if I also had to pay that fee for each plane switch, running the price up to $1200. That is equivalent to 1 round trip ticket from California! I asked about box size and weight limitations: ..." box can be up to 126 inches (Length + width + height) and up to 70 pounds in weight. However they did not say that the bikes needed to be boxed. The only requirements were that the pedals be removed, and the handlebars turned sideways and wrapped and tapped to the bike. I would still like to find out a lot more before purchasing tickets. Maybe their is a better deal with another airline?
buen camino,
James.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You are probably better of using and international parcel shipper such as DHL, Fedex or UPS. Certainly worth getting a quote once you have calculated the dimensions of your bikes once packed down, and weight. They will also advise on repository / collection points wherever you have decided to commence your bike ride.

Buen Camino

Thank you offroad Ford fan!!!
I have not bought my plane tickets yet, I am waiting for the 90 days prior to flight fare drops that most airlines do. However I probably will be flying Delta Air. I contacted them regarding international travel with my bike; Their response was as I expected:
..."the charge to check your bike is $150." that means each way for a grand total of $600 for the wife and I to ride our own bikes in Europe. Ouch... and I did not ask if I also had to pay that fee for each plane switch, running the price up to $1200. That is equivalent to 1 round trip ticket from California! I asked about box size and weight limitations: ..." box can be up to 126 inches (Length + width + height) and up to 70 pounds in weight. However they did not say that the bikes needed to be boxed. The only requirements were that the pedals be removed, and the handlebars turned sideways and wrapped and tapped to the bike. I would still like to find out a lot more before purchasing tickets. Maybe their is a better deal with another airline?
buen camino,
James.

Pack the frame in the first box, and the wheels in the second box, and all your gear spread out between both boxes, it might keep it within standard check in limits, then all you'd be paying for is the second check in box.

I'm not up to date, but last I checked Delta was one of the worst. Some airlines are cheaper to overseas flights.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some airlines don't charge at all it it's just one box and no other luggage. Iceland Air from WASH DC to Paris only charges 54.00 for a bike. You can try these shipping companies but it's cheaper to fly with your bike. Check out Luggage Forward or Bikeflights.com. Be careful shipping more than one bike, you might be charged an import tax. That happened when I shipped 2 touring bikes to London. I was charged an import tax based on the bikes value. If they ask, make it under $900.00.
I do know some folks that buy cheap bikes when they arrive in Spain or wherever. It just depends on what your standards are I guess. I once met a kid on the Cmino riding a bike he paid 70.00 Euros for in Biarritz. It was every bit a 70 euro bike but he didn't care. Good luck

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back