• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Flying out to Porto tomorrow, really feeling the nerves!

LindaH82

Time of past OR future Camino
None
I'm flying out to Porto from Amsterdam tomorrow, and will be starting my Camino from Vigo on Wednesday. I just checked into my flight, got my paperwork in order, etc. I'm really starting to feel the nerves - this is my first Camino and I have no idea what to expect! And I'm not good at playing things by ear, so, this is way out of my comfortzone. D:

Can I get some words of encouragement? And are there any people I may run into? I'm walking slowly, hoping to arrive in Santiago on October 1th.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not good at playing things by ear, so, this is way out of my comfortzone.
I think you'll find that you can find the timing and priorities of "playing it by ear" that suit you. You know the big picture, and now just need to decide if one day at a time, or two days at a time is appropriate.

Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Linda! If I am right you will be using special assistance I arrived on Friday so so easy straight through no problems no hold UPS easy don't worry! Porto is an amazing and friendly town and the waterfront in my opinion was special! If you remember we spoke before about me having bad eyesight and I use a white stick went in a shop for my scallop shell the lady asked what I was doing I said walking to Santiago. I wanted a Swiss army knife that was 8 Euros 50 and she gave it to me as a gift. I had a pharmacist take me up the hill in Porto to find a sports shop how many English people would do that you're going to be fine absolutely fine. Just be careful of the paths they're a blooming nightmare really uneven and very narrow in the old town take care have the best fun ever woody!

Hi, Linda.
Sometimes it can help to only focus on just the small part of what you will be doing 'right now', rather than thinking about the whole thing that you are about to do. It's sort of like the joke, "How do you eat an elephant?" The answer: "One bite at a time".

So try to only think about getting to Vigo right now. Don't think about your Wednesday until after you are settled in to your lodging. Relax and enjoy your immediate surroundings when you arrive, and give yourself a bit of time to get oriented. There will likely be people at the lodging you will be staying at who can answer questions you may have about your first day's walk on Wednesday. You may also find other pilgrims who are on their first Camino.

It is easy to access things you need, like eateries and shops. I have always found that locals can be very welcoming and friendly if I need directions, or have a bit of trouble sorting something out.

The things that give me anxieties in unfamiliar surroundings center around the basics like 'where am I going to find shelter' or 'will I get homesick', or 'can I stay dry or warm', or 'can I walk that far', or 'where is the next ATM', or 'will I run into an angry badger'. If I am feeling anxious, I try to focus on 'what is the actual source of that feeling of anxiety or panic, and then try to resolve it.

For example, I was relieved when I did some research and learned that no roaming herds of angry badgers have been seen in Spain (aside from the rare sightings of the Bashful Badger variety) since the time Charlemagne crossed into Spain in AD 777 and drove those angry beasties into France.

The French controlled the raging Angry Badger herds by promptly developing a recipe and declaring it a Michelin-worthy menu item.

From the cookbook, 'Les cuisines oubliées'
To cook one badger you’ll need:
1 badger
1 glass of pig’s blood
1 small glass of armagnac
1 ginger root
1 bottle of dry, sparkling white wine
2 eggs
1 pot of crème fraîche
salt and pepper
500g forest mushrooms OR chestnuts to accompany
100g butter
oil

Eviscerate and skin your badger, and soak it in a fast-flowing river for at least 48 hours. This will help you to de-grease it more easily.

Once the badger is de-greased, cut it into pieces and brown it in a frying pan with butter. When the pieces are golden and stiff, flambée with the armanac, season and add a grated soup-spoon of ginger, fresh if possible.

Pour over the wine, and simmer gently for at least two hours.

At the end of the cooking time, mix the chopped badger liver (cooked beforehand in a little oil), the glass of blood, two egg yolks, a coffee-spoon of ginger and the crème fraîche, and pour into the cooking dish. Serve immediately.

This dish goes well with wild mushrooms or chestnuts.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks so much, everybody! I do feel comforted. :)

@woody66 yes, that's right! I'm so happy you remembered me! And I'm glad to hear you had a safe arrival in Porto, and that everybody is so kind. I hope your Camino goes well!

@davebugg your reply made me laugh! You are absolutely right. I have a tendency to, as we say in Dutch, "see apes and bears on the road", aka imagine troubles which I don't even know will be there (like badgers!). So yes, I have been Googling supermarkets near my hotels, or bus timetables, or or or or....
But you are entirely right to focus on the here and now. What is my biggest problem right now? To get my suitcase packed. :p I will figure out how to get to Vigo tomorrow, when I'm in Porto. I will figure out how to get from Vigo to Redondela on Wednesday, when I will be actually walking. My family has a saying, "problem first, solution later", aka don't come up with solutions to problems that don't exist even yet. I should honestly remind myself of that more!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks so much, everybody! I do feel comforted. :)

@woody66 yes, that's right! I'm so happy you remembered me! And I'm glad to hear you had a safe arrival in Porto, and that everybody is so kind. I hope your Camino goes well!

@davebugg your reply made me laugh! You are absolutely right. I have a tendency to, as we say in Dutch, "see apes and bears on the road", aka imagine troubles which I don't even know will be there (like badgers!). So yes, I have been Googling supermarkets near my hotels, or bus timetables, or or or or....
But you are entirely right to focus on the here and now. What is my biggest problem right now? To get my suitcase packed. :p I will figure out how to get to Vigo tomorrow, when I'm in Porto. I will figure out how to get from Vigo to Redondela on Wednesday, when I will be actually walking. My family has a saying, "problem first, solution later", aka don't come up with solutions to problems that don't exist even yet. I should honestly remind myself of that more!
The nice thing about walking long distances from one village or city onto the next village or city, is that you have plenty of time to figure things out. :)

All manner of things shall be well, LindaH82.
I let my imagination run wild the first time I was on a Camino, and even though it was long ago, I well-remember that feeling. As it turns out even when the few oddball things occurred, in the end fabulous things happened.
We all will be looking for updates from you--with a few photos, please.

All the best, Linda! There is nothing like the excitement and anticipation of that first Camino. It will likely not be your last, but revel in the unique experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is natural and part of life to be nervous about the unknown. Camino number 6 is coming up for me soon and I have spent many months in total on different caminos and I am still always nervous.
It is one step at a time and listen to your heart and body before you listen to your mind.
You will meet lots and lots of the most wonderful fellow pilgrims you could imagine that will be always ready to lend a hand and help or just be there.
You are also going to be welcomed into a country that has the warmest, kindest most generous people on earth. If you are lost, or need help ask any townsperson you see. You will be surprised how many speak English and even if they don't point on a map to where you want to go or write it down or show them a translation. They will take you by the arm and walk you there. If you need help they will help you and if they can't will find someone who can. Trust me your fears will melt away so quickly in the warm Portugues sun.

I'm flying out to Porto from Amsterdam tomorrow, and will be starting my Camino from Vigo on Wednesday. I just checked into my flight, got my paperwork in order, etc. I'm really starting to feel the nerves - this is my first Camino and I have no idea what to expect! And I'm not good at playing things by ear, so, this is way out of my comfortzone. D:

Can I get some words of encouragement? And are there any people I may run into? I'm walking slowly, hoping to arrive in Santiago on October 1th.
hi,

I was also a first timer that completed last leg of Camino Frances (Sarria to Santiago de Compostela) which was 115 km in 5 days recently last Sep 9. My advice for you are:

- Take it easy on first few days. Its not a race and competition, go at your own pace by paying attention to your body especially the feet.
- Take pitstops if you need to like every 2,5 hours by resting in cafe or resto for few drinks. There are many along the way at least in Camino Frances.
- Be open to whatever each day brings. Camino will bring lots of surprises and the key is to let go and trust everything will be fine. This is one of my biggest learnings in Camino to let go of control and just be.
- Enjoy and have fun and savor people you will meet along the way. Let yourself be helped and help as well others. You will realize there is lots of camaraderie and solidarity among the pilgrims as you are all in same boat.
- Reflect each day and note the highlights in journal. This I did because I wanted to process all learnings and insights I got about myself and others during Camino and wanted to apply learnings when i get back to my day day life.

All the best, the Camino is one of best experiences you can ever have. Im pretty sure of it. There will be some struggles but all will turn out well I can assure you.

PS After 1st time, Im actually hooked and will try to plan again another 2nd Camino in Spring 2021.

Thanks so much for all your warm words, everybody. :) I am in Vigo right now. My backpack with the shell is right next to me, with the credential with two stamps (my 'home stamp' and the one from Porto) already in it. I will collect the one at the Vigo cathedral tomorrow, when I finally start. I already walked from my hotel to the cathedral to see where it was, and it was a strange but exciting feeling to see the yellow arrows pointing the way!

I am still a little nervous - I learned in the past few days that it is much more hilly overhere than I expected or trained for, although I didn't walk with two hiking poles since getting here - but I'm just gonna take it as it comes. I have a disability, so it's harder for me to begin with. I'll just see how far I can get every day. After all, everybody walks their own Camino, right? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks so much for all your warm words, everybody. :) I am in Vigo right now. My backpack with the shell is right next to me, with the credential with two stamps (my 'home stamp' and the one from Porto) already in it. I will collect the one at the Vigo cathedral tomorrow, when I finally start. I already walked from my hotel to the cathedral to see where it was, and it was a strange but exciting feeling to see the yellow arrows pointing the way!

I am still a little nervous - I learned in the past few days that it is much more hilly overhere than I expected or trained for, although I didn't walk with two hiking poles since getting here - but I'm just gonna take it as it comes. I have a disability, so it's harder for me to begin with. I'll just see how far I can get every day. After all, everybody walks their own Camino, right? :)
Those first few steps tomorrow will open up a very special experience. Take each day as it comes and savour the pleasure. I will be three weeks behind you. Buen camino.

...well that first day was a bust. :( I have a disability (congenital myopathy) so walking is harder me anyway. But for some reas9n I was extra tired today. I did get my stamp at the cathedral in Vigo, and started on the road. But I barely made it out of the city and I was already exhausted. Hwd to stop every 200 meters, just lifting my legs was so heavy, even the walking poles just made me noticeably more tired. :(

I ended up taking the train to Redondela. I did get out at an earlier stop amd walked 1km to the city centre. Got my stamp at the albergue (the church I wanted to get it at was closed), then went to my hotel and slept for an hour and a half. All in all I walked 7km today. But I kinda feel like a failure. This was not how I expected my first day to go. :(

...well that first day was a bust. :( I have a disability (congenital myopathy) so walking is harder me anyway. But for some reas9n I was extra tired today. I did get my stamp at the cathedral in Vigo, and started on the road. But I barely made it out of the city and I was already exhausted. Hwd to stop every 200 meters, just lifting my legs was so heavy, even the walking poles just made me noticeably more tired. :(

I ended up taking the train to Redondela. I did get out at an earlier stop amd walked 1km to the city centre. Got my stamp at the albergue (the church I wanted to get it at was closed), then went to my hotel and slept for an hour and a half. All in all I walked 7km today. But I kinda feel like a failure. This was not how I expected my first day to go. :(
Not a bust, just not as far as you wanted /hoped. Tomorrow is another day. Rest up and take joy in how ever far you walk, it's not a race, but a gift to savour.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hang in there, there are no bust days on the Camino, just expectations that get ahead of the Perigrina/o some days.

... I can't do it. :( Help.

I am crying as I type this. I'm in Pontevedra right now, it's my third day. I tried so hard each day, but after 5km I am just exhausted. I took a train every day, but I'm headed to Combarro next and there are no real public transport options that I can find. And I don't want to take a taxi as that feels like cheating. I've been getting my two stamps a day, in the morning from a random place in the town I'm leaaving from, and in the evening from the hotel where I'm staying. But I can't walk. I started in Arcade this morning, I barely got out of the city and had to pause every 100 meters. I don't know why my body is suddenly like this, it was fine in Porto (as fine as my body gets anyway).

Help. This is not how I thought it would go.

Take a rest day and enjoy the now. Have a good meal, a drink of your choice, and a good sleep. Tomorrow is a new day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Linda - go easy on yourself
You're in Pontevedra - one of the most beautiful cities on the CP, so take time and enjoy it

You're on the Camino - You are doing you're best - No one's going to judge you

It's not that you can't do it - you just need to do it your way

There seems to be bus options

It sounds like you are doing the Spiritual Route
Maybe switch to the Central Route with the main towns as I've listed below

Let us know how you are getting on

There are plenty of people here who will help

Relax - Don't be hard on yourself and just try and enjoy it !

Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis
Padron
Santiago de compostela

Hey Linda! Please don't feel so bad💓! You are in a wonderful country if you are determined to continue you will find a way!But just don't torture yourself.Rest up have a few pinacaladas and chill ! You have a great attitude living a difficult life don't let this bring you down! It might turn out better than you think if you take this pressure to complete the Camino of your shoulders! All the best Woody

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately I can't change my route since I prebooked through CaminoWays. I figured having my accomodations taken care of, guaranteeing a good bed, and having my luggage shipped every day would make it easier: I'd just need a small daypack and some hiking poles and the rest would be taken care of. But apparently even walking 10km a day is beyond me - heck, even 5km sometimes is.
Also means I'm stuck to a timetable, which I originally figured was a good thing: it was going to be heavy, but at least it'd only be a week and a half and then I could go and relax. (And sadly I do not have unlimited time off work!)

"No one is going to judge you" - intellectually I know that, and the people back home are still cheering me on. But I am judging *myself*. I've wanted to do this for like ten years, this was my "I better do it now before I won't get to do it at all" trip. And now it turns out I already won't get to do it at all, after all.

Also why do people say the Portugues is the flattest one?? It's not flat! I keep climbing! (Admittedly I'm Dutch so perhaps my concept of flat is off, lol.) How on earth do people in wheelchairs and with walkers do this. Gah.

I have the day off in Pontevedra tomorrow, I'm staying two nights here. Guess I'll go and contact CaminoWays, see what they can do....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Linda, just wondering how you were. were you able to sort something out with CaminoWays?
So proud of you for starting, it's more than half of the effort.

Aw, thanks for asking, that's so kind!

I took a rest day in Pontevedra but didn't end up doing a lot of resting, as I was busy with sightseeing. :p I got in contact with CaminoWays and they gave me the phone number of a taxi company. I ended up calling them on Sunday, to take me from Pontevedra to Combarro, where I am now. Gotta be honest, I felt absolutely lousy yesterday for " giving up" and not trying my hardest to walk as much as I could (doesn't help that I overstrained a tendon in my right foot, too!). Plus I haven't really met anyone in the past week I've been on the Camino; apart from a morning in Arcade where everything seemed to breathe Camino I haven't really been feeling the Camino spirit an awful lot. I've mostly felt lonely and " why am I doing this". So that was unfun.

You know what worked? I ended up googling things like "not enjoying the Camino" and ended up finding several posts, even on this very forum, by people who weren't feeling the spirit either, who ended up hating it, ended up taking busses and taxi or even quitting halfway through. This forum can be a ton of fun but obviously it's by and for people who love the Camino and at least to me it made me feel like I was doing it wrong for not enjoying it, not finding a Camino Family, not falling in love with every little town I'm coming through, feeling a sense of euphoria for pushing myself to the brink of exhaustion or whatever damn else. So actually seeing the posts by people who didn't love it either made me feel... normal. Lol.

Anyway, I'm taking a proper rest day now. I'm in Combarro (well, Poio to be correct). My hotel is close to the beach, and even though the weather is.... not exactly beach weather (should have been here last Friday when it was 25 degrees C!) I think I'll wander down there and say I've been to the beach in Spain. I purposefully didn't get the hotel's stamp yesterday so I still got that one for today; might take a taxi to Combarro and get my second one there. Or else not and I'll just cry at the Pilgrim's Office until they give me a Compostella, lol.
I'm supposed to start in Armenteira tomorrow, so I'll take a taxi up there and see what happens. I hope I can walk the first few km of that stage as it's supposed to be gorgeous (the Way of Stone and Water), but if not... then not. I'll be in Santiago on Friday. That's good. Then I'll be done. :p

First, I think you have earned a big fat hug! I can imagine you are disappointed and maybe disheartened but believe me when I'm saying, I, for one, am proud of you. You ARE doing the best you can do! Adapting, changing your plans, making the most of it, sighseeing and going to the beach. For me that is the spirit of the camino! It is not necessarily always easy and fun, but it is about our ability to work with the situation at hand and making it work to our best, and finding ways to savour the good moments.

Those were the takeaways from my first camino, a part of the Mozarabe in November 2019. It was a very solitary and cold experience. I was the only one on it, hostals opened just for me (and not always put some heating on), there are not a lot of villages on the way and the first days were rainy and dreary. When I look at some of the pictures you see how tired and cold I am, there wasn't always loads of joy. There were evenings where I had the bus schedule sorted to escape, and then in the morning I would walk down a little easier, or the sun would be shining, or a smile or kind word from the person serving breakfast, had me putting on my shoes on again and setting off. I found my earphones and while I normally don't like to walk to music, I did now, to the only music that I had on my phone (3 albums of Mumford & Sons). And I sang (badly) from the top of my lungs, playing air guitar through the endless olive groves (there was literally no one around :) to hear me anyway). To this day, when I hear one of those songs it brings a smile on my face. I've learned on this camino that I am selfsufficient, resilient and capable, but that I am not as solitary as I thought. Since I've put more effort in cultivating friendships and feel much more connected to people. What a gift! Now I am planning a new camino for october, I am looking forward to it, with much more appreciation for the mental grit needed to do it.

Please be proud of yourself, for doing it, for going out there, and all alone too! Kuddos to you. Make the most of your last days on the camino, however much or little you walk. Let there be some sunshine and friendliness on your path.

m

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I LOVE the mental image of you airguitaring your way through olive groves!
It really does help, mentally, to have a backup plan, doesn't it?

I've learned on this camino that I am selfsufficient, resilient and capable, but that I am not as solitary as I thought
Same, honestly. I've done solo travel before, so I knew I could do THAT part. But it's been two years (darn pandemic) plus I would usually settle down in a city and do trips from there. I'm learning now that having a different bed to sleep in is not for me. I travel slowly, I like to savour a place, soak up the atmosphere. Not arrive, then leave again 18 hours later. And yeah, while I like traveling solo I do enjoy meeting people - solo, not solitary.
I'm staying in Santiago de Compostela from Friday to Tuesday so I'll have a few days to settle down. :)

Also I did end up going to the beach and the weather was great, warm and sunny! A little Camino gift I guess, haha.

Update (guess this is my liveblog now?): felt much better this morning. I took a taxi up to Armenteira monestary, which is GORGEOUS by the way. Got my passport stamped by a lovely nun. After that I started on the Camino, figuring I'd see how far I could get. The first 500 meters were nothing much special, and I was getting worried that it would be another boring stage. But then I hit on the Way of Stone and Water. I didn't get very far on it because at one point I hit some literal rocks I was sure I would fall off of or even if I did manage to find my way around them I wouldn't be able to get back, plus my overstrained foot was hurting again, making 7km a very unwise decision, but oh, WHAT a gorgeous trail! If I ever make it back to Santiago, I am 100% going to try and go back for this particular stage - preferably with someone to help me over the most difficult bits, haha.

I climbed back up to the Albergue Peregrino Armenteira and spend some time in the sun, listening to nature. Honestly, it made up for a lot of the past few days. It was so peaceful! I then called a taxi - two taxi companies had very cleverly put up some posters with "rescue for pilgrims" haha - which took me to Villanova de Arousa, where I am now. I'm taking the boat to Padron tomorrow, which will then suddenly put me me very close to my end goal...

Thank you for the info and the update. I have the Armenteira monestry on my wish list and had heard about the way of stone and water.

After reading about all the experiences here on the Camino Portugues I have decided to more or less wing it, to not be stuck to a schedule. Looking at the map and booking.com there's loads of hostels etc on the way. I would like to have the freedom to linger and savour as you say.

Enjoy your day on the boat and in Padron.
Mo

Oh absolutely do the Variante Espirituel of the Portugues! I really loved it, actually much more than the previous stages. I did the boat trip from Villanova de Arousa to Padron today, it was a great experience (even if I did have to get up at 7am, which is not my favourite time of day!).

Padron is lovely, too, and it was nice to see all the pilgrims coming in.

My right foot is really acting up now, I seriously think I sprained something. My right leg has always been the weakest of the two and it is absolutely protesting at walking THIS much. I'm off to Teo tomorrow; probably gonna take it easy and just get a taxi from one hotel to the next one, so I will have some energy left to at least walk from, say, Santiago bus station to the cathedral!
Still got my two stamps per day (I even did three today and I didn't even get my hotel's stamp yet) so I should still be able to get a compostella... hopefully... (Do the people at the pilgrim's office read here? :p)

BTW, not sure if this is allowed here, but I've been posting daily updates with photos on my Instagram page here. Feel free to give me a follow!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I could use some cheerleading again, if it's not too much trouble. I am in Teo now. I took a taxi from one hotel to the other because 12km or however much it is just wasn't going to happen. I felt judged. :( Probably mostly in my head tho. Also I did not expect Teo to be this small! I am in the casa rurale Parada de Francos, which is right on the Camino, as in, there are two buildings and the Camino literally passes between them, but there does not appear to be much else here. At least there is a restaurant. :p But I am out of cash - the taxi was more epensive than I expected. Not sure where to get more here, to pay my taxi tomorrow. Might just take one to the Santiago bus/train station and explain I need to get cash to the taxi driver since most don't seem to take cards.

I dunno. I am so close to the end goal but it's all a little... less exciting than I thought it was going to be. Gonna go out and sit in the sun for a bit I guess. Meh.

LindaH82,
I hope that the sunshine helped lift your spirits. You might ask atvthe casa rurale Parada de Francos about credit card payment.

Enjoy the country calm soon you will be in the urban whirl of Santiago.
Carpe diem.

I am in Santiago de Compostela! And I got a compostela! :D

Everything worked out in the end (of course...). As @mspath suggested I asked the proprietor at the Casa rurale Parada de Francos, where I was in fact staying, for help, and he confirmed that I could pay the taxi with card instead of cash. With that worry relieved, I headed for dinner at the restaurant at the casa rurale. I had a table of my own, but ended up in conversation with three other pilgrims the next table over, so in the end I ended up joining them! I had a most excellent meal (I HIGHLY recommend this accomodation for the food alone!!), with great wine and even greater company. The fun thing was that although we were all on the same Camino, we each did it differently - I was a firsttimer, another was on his third Camino, and the two others were firsttimers who did it on bike! So that was great to exchange experiences.

The owner of the casa rurale (Pepe) had arranged a taxi for me for 10AM this morning. I was in Santiago at about 10:30, being dropped off at the bus station. From there it was just under 2km to the Cathedral. I did get lost! In fact, apparently Google send me down a route that's not part of the Camino, so weirdly I saw no waymarkers at all, and I even had a hard time getting my final two stamps for the credential - at one point I almost started wondering whether I was even in SdC at all. :p I ended up getting one at the tourist info, and two at the post office near the cathedral.
I reached the cathedral at about 11:45AM. I weirdly didn't feel much of anything, except tired! Perhaps because I was alone, so I couldn't really share this moment with anyone else. But it didn't really feel like I had reached the end of a momentous accomplishment, if that makes sense. I did do the obligatory photoshoot - I took photos for two ladies and they returned the favor. :p

Next I headed to the pilgrim's office. It was busy, and getting the QR code was a pain, plus I really do feel like they don't explain it well enough. It was just a guy pointing at a sign going "scan the QR code!" It was a good thing I'd read on this forum what to expect. On the other hand, being able to check my spot in the queue onlline was very useful. I ended up having to wait about 2 hours, but this way I could spend most of it souvenir shopping!
And yes, I got the Compostela! They do check the credential somewhat thoroughly, which was on the one hand a relief ("at least I didn't collect all those stamps for nothing") but on the other hand a bit nervewracking ("will they notice I only got one stamp on the 25th? And that I got most of them at my accomodation at the end of the day?"). But I passed muster. :) I got my final stamps, including the one that said I finished my Camino, then got handed my Credential! I bought a tube to carry it in, and then I was done.

I spend the rest of the day wandering around, visiting the cathedral etc. I had planned to attend the pilgrim's mass, mostly to hear me being counted as a pilgrim from the Netherlands, but in the end I was too tired and the weather was too bad to wait til 7:30PM, especially considering it's a 20 minute walk up AND downhill from the cathedral to my hotel. So I skipped it. Might do it tomorrow, or on Monday. Right now my plans for tomorrow are to do laundry, visit the pilgrim museum, and most of all to SLEEP IN UNTIL NOON. :p

Thank you all so much for your cheerleading and comforting words in this topic! It definitely helped calm down some of my worry. In the end I did the Camino my way, which was not the way I expected but, well, it is what it is. Will I ever do another Camino? I'm honestly not sure. My partner's interest is now piqued, and he has mentioned doing the Frances together, perhaps, but.... I dunno. Perhaps in a few years, once I've forgotten the pain in my feet. :p

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, final update I guess, a week after finishing my Camino. :) I stayed in Santiago for four days, of which I spend almost the entire Saturday in my hotel because the weather was dreadful! I had wanted to go to Finisterre on Sunday, but because Saturday's weather had been so bad I didn't want to risk being on the coast with nothing but rain and strong winds. Plus I was still tired. Of course, the weather on Sunday turned out to be fine, but eh, guess I have a reason to go back to Santiago now. :p Instead I visited the Pilgrimage Museum on Sunday, which was small but interesting.

Monday was my birthday! Which I celebrated by eating tarte de Santiago and getting a scallop shell tattoo at Sagrada Corazon (recommended btw, very skilled and welcoming people and I love my tattoo). Otherwise I didn't do much of anything except wander around, buy some more souvenirs, etc. I liked Santiago but I didn't love it - I didn't feel there was a lot to do, there is too much climbing (I ended up taking a taxi from the cathedral back to my hotel because my foot was Just Not Having anymore walking) and... I guess it's just more fun if you know other pilgrims? I dunno, I've solotravelled before and never minded it, but here in Santiago I just felt kinda... alone. I didn't really connect with anyone - except for when I was working on my journal at a cafe and a young woman the next table over was doing the same, and when I left she gave me a postcard saying she liked my style, haha. But even then that wasn't really connecting.

Anyway, on Tuesday I took the bus from Santiago to Porto, where I am now. My foot still hurts! It's ok when I sit down, or when I wear a sturdy shoe, but walking around barefoot in my apartment is a no. I'm gonna get it looked at when I get home next week. Probably just overstrained it, but even so.
The Camino feels a distant memory already, even though it was only a week ago that I was waiting in line to get my Compostela. I am realising now that I am much happier in Porto, staying in the same place for a few days, planning my own itinerary (sleeping in, having a leisurely breakfast, then going out at 2PM and back at 5? No problem), seeing the sights, soaking up the culture, and most of all *not walking so bloody much*. I am realising that I like the *idea* of the Camino, the history of it, how it's a literal UNESCO World Heritage because it's so old, etc etc etc, but the *actual* Camino is just not for me. Both physically (I underestimated it, to be fair, but I think even with training I couldn't have done it; my body and my disability just don't work that way) and mentally.

Will I ever do it again? I dunno. Funnily enough my partner, who was always kinda like "what's a Camino?", has now gotten interested and has started dropping hints on doing the Frances together, partly so I can have a 'do-over' with help. But I don't know. While there were some pleasant moments, I just didn't really *enjoy* these two weeks a whole lot, and there are so many things in the world to do!

So. Thanks for reading all my posts. :p Thanks for the mental support and the encouraging words, etc etc. This forum really is a great place to get help if you need it. The Camino did teach me a lot, but it's mostly that the Camino is not for me!

(Upside though: I tied my camino to a sponsor thing, where people could donate money to research for my specific disability to support my camino. I raised 865 euros! So at least some good came of it. ^^)

pleased to read that you made it to the end and got your compostela. excellent, really pleased for you. And bravo for raising so much money!!

I have some questions for you, where did you stay in Porto (looking for 2 nights at the start, luggage depot and 1 night at the end). and what was the bus you took? did you book that in advance or easy to organise in Santiago?
Thank you!

Thank you!

Right now I am staying at ORM Apartemento Santa Caterina which I HIGHLY recommend! It's nearish Sao Bento station.

I took a bus from Porto to Vigo, which was supereasy, I just had to show up at the bus platform and could buy a ticket at the bus driver. For the return journey from Santiago to Porto, I booked online at the bus company, Alsa. I could pay with credit card and they send me an eticket on my phone, easy as pie, was only 24 euros for a 4 hour trip. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back