• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying Solo at Sixty

Karen Davies

Time of past OR future Camino
2015/May/June
Karen Davies, Grahmastown, South Africa, going to do the Camino from St J P de P this May June and would be gratefull for any advice and tips. I would like to know if any other Safas are doing it in May.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Karen, welcome to the forum. There are lots of members willing to help. Help them by asking specific questions about things. It also helps to use the search function to see if there have been recent posts on the topics you are researching.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome. I have yet to walk in May without spending some time with South Africans and in 2013 I flew from London Stansted to Biarritz with someone from SA. Like all of us you will have many questions, decisions, reversed decisions, new/renewed decisions between now and then. The forum provides many answers and as many alternatives! :( Enjoy your research, be prepared for some responses to questions becoming maybe "contentious" as some hold strong views. But remember your Camino (and I mean YOUR) has started and like the actual time between SJPdP and SDC all will not always go smoothly. Keep your sense of humour - you will need it on your walk!!! Perhaps look to see where posters are from, identify ones from SA and PM them for specific SA information? Enjoy your equipment purchasing and training. Buen Camino.

Hola fellow pilgrims or prospective ones like me, I am so enjoying the Forum, all my questions are answered in depth and I have gleaned so much valuable information all of which is hugely appreciated. Mucho Gracias. Karen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Karen.
Why safas?
My first Camino three years ago, did not speak any English. At the end of it, I knew: A Hungarian girl, another Italian, two pilgrims from India (father and son) Two Italian boys, one from Denmark, one French and of course one Korean boy. None Spanish.
First thing I did was to go home to go to a school language (With 59 years) to learn English.
Many of these pilgrims I knew then come every year to visit me at Pamplona.
Let the Camino surprise you
PD. They are between 25 and 40 years. I was the grandfather!
Buen Camino.

Hi Karen.
Why safas?
My first Camino three years ago, did not speak any English. At the end of it, I knew: A Hungarian girl, another Italian, two pilgrims from India (father and son) Two Italian boys, one from Denmark, one French and of course one Korean boy. None Spanish.
First thing I did was to go home to go to a school language (With 59 years) to learn English.
Many of these pilgrims I knew then come every year to visit me at Pamplona.
Let the Camino surprise you
PD. They are between 25 and 40 years. I was the grandfather!
Buen Camino.

Thanks Mikel, I just wondered if there were any local Safas doing it around the same time as I was, I am so looking forward to meeting people and making friends with folk from all over the world. I am busy attempting to learn Spanish but have realised that I am Linguistically challenged.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suggest you contact sillydoll if you specifically want to know about Safas.
She takes groups from there every year -

I am new to this forum and I love travelling and hope you will help me to increase my knowledge.
Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back