• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food allergies?

Iverness

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Madrid ( June 2015)
Hello everyone,
I have scoured this board for Camino Madrid information. Thank you to everyone who provided such good details for the trip, it has helped immensely.

I do have a question about food though.

Will finding food and water be an issue on this camino? I have a weak ability to speak Spanish and have food allergies to multiple things (gluten, egg, dairy among others) and believe it will probably be best if I stick to markets where I can purchase my food so I know what is in it. I have trouble enough in the states explaining to waiters the situation, so I can't imagine doing it in another language, and poorly at that! lol. :)

I do plan to bring some food from home to help in a pinch- but as we know keeping the pack light is important and carrying a lot of food can get heavy quickly, so finding food along the way at markets or stores will be a must for me.

If anyone can lend me a helping hand and tell me of stages where I can stock up I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No idea about the Camino de Madrid, but perhaps making a laminated card with the following sentence, or variation thereof might help?

Tengo una alergia grave al gluten, huevo, lácteos y ... !
¿Me pueden ayudar con mi selección de alimentos, por favor?

No idea about the Camino de Madrid, but perhaps making a laminated card with the following sentence, or variation thereof might help?

Tengo una alergia grave al gluten, huevo, lácteos y ... !
¿Me pueden ayudar con mi selección de alimentos, por favor?

Thank you SYates. I think that is a smart idea and one I'll implement. It can definitely help when I'm shopping!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You won't have any problem shopping in mercados/supermercados. It's an awesome trail!

You won't have any problem shopping in mercados/supermercados. It's an awesome trail!
Thank you Phillypilgrim! That helps put my mind at ease. As long as I can stock up on something somewhere it will be good!
Do you have any suggestions for good places to shop?

You won't have a problem.
I loved that route.
I've been updating the photos on my blog if you're interested.
I still have quite a few posts to add photos to, but you can check back in a few days and I should have it done.
Here is the link to where those posts begin - the way blogspot is set up, you'll have to click on the link for newer posts each time to move forward:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-madrid.html

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You won't have a problem.
I loved that route.
I've been updating the photos on my blog if you're interested.
I still have quite a few posts to add photos to, but you can check back in a few days and I should have it done.
Here is the link to where those posts begin - the way blogspot is set up, you'll have to click on the link for newer posts each time to move forward:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2014/05/in-madrid.html

Thank you Annie, already checking it out. Lol at the picture in your blog post, eye mask and all. :)

Thank you Annie, already checking it out. Lol at the picture in your blog post, eye mask and all. :)
Yeah, I am a mess when I fly.
I'm about at Santa Maria de la Nieva in the posts... will be updating and adding photos the next couple of days, so come back :)
It's my favorite route so far - you will love it!
PS: I suggest you book lodging in Segovia and spend a day exploring.

Thank you for the suggestion :) If you have any more I'd be very open to them.
I'll be sure to keep following as you post, and I'm sure you're right. I am very much looking forward to this trip!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't have any suggestions about specific mercados, but just make sure you have plenty of food if you stay over in Ane, as there are no shops and the one bar is usually NOT open! My favorite stop btw.

I don't have any suggestions about specific mercados, but just make sure you have plenty of food if you stay over in Ane, as there are no shops and the one bar is usually NOT open! My favorite stop btw.
That was place I had planned on staying, so thanks for the heads up!

It's a wonderful little town with a very friendly bar.
They make great sandwiches for the next day if he's open :)
If he's NOT open, ask the mayor to call him and perhaps he'll open up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can only ditto as previously said. On all stages you'll pass the market or two. There you won't have a problem, you can read descriptions on food packages. But I do see a slight problem regarding local bars and restaurants... But you can cook for yourself.
My stages were:
- Tres Cantos: no kitchen
- Manzanares del Real: kitchen, but not working
- Cercedilla: polideportivo, no kitchen
- Valsain: pension, reportedly very good and I guess could order gluten-free meal
- Zamarramala: kitchen
- Ane: no kitchen
- Nava de la Asuncion: hard to tell because I was sleeping in Casa de Cultura in classroom
- Villeguillo: kitchen, but no store
- Alcazaren: kitchen
- Puente Duero: kitchen, all-time hospitalero present
- Cigunuela: kitchen
- Penaflor de Hornija: kitchen
- Castromonte: kitchen
- Tamariz de Campos: I've slept on the floor outside, no albergue actually there
- Cuenca de Campos: kitchen
- Villal on de Campos: kitchen, all-time hospitalero present
- Grajal de Campos: have slept in the castle on the floor, no kitchen.
So I've had more than 50% kitchen available at albergues. I don't think you will have much problem.

Go for it!

Kinkyone, it sounds like that is really quite manageable for me. I'm no stranger to living off of tuna packets for a while if I had to- did it once when I had a work conference to Vegas, no car, no grocery within 15 miles and there was literally no opportunities to get food besides what was prepared which was full of allergens for me...a week with those for three meals a day and I didn't want to see tuna for a while, but it can be done!! Thankfully it appears that that will not be necessary with the kitchens available. I can live out of my pack the rest of the time. Thank you for your perspective, it is very reassuring.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.