• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Eating on the Camino de Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015
Camino de Madrid 2017
My apologies if this has been beaten to death but my search didn't turn up anything specific.

How difficult is it to find bars/tiendas/mercados on the CdM that are reliably open? On the Frances as everyone knows most every little pueblo has a bar or three. From what I'm gathering, not so on CdM. I'd rather not spend two weeks subsisting on the Spanish equivalent of Twinkies. Cooking is of course an option but that assumes availability of a) a kitchen and b) groceries. Plus anyone who's had to eat my cooking may well prefer Twinkies (even me).

BTW, I'm looking to walk either early May or early September of next year, all the way to Santiago, and Finisterre if time permits. Anyone looking for a companion in those time frames?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had absolutely no problem finding food on the Camino Madrid this year.

My experience last year was the same. Minor points to bear in mind:

Añe – no shop, no bar no kitchen in the albergue. BYO everything
Castroñuno – Albergue has a kitchen. The village shop opens only for very restricted hours. It was closed the day I passed through. Bar Caribe does not do meals, but I think others ate at the other bar in the village.
Villeguilo – one bar in the village, will do food.
Santervas – one shop/bar, adjacent to the albergue, run by a young couple. I spoke with the lady who made me a very good evening meal.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What are your planned stops?

Eating shouldn't be a big problem. With a little bit of planning, you can end every day in a town offering meals.

Castroñuno – Albergue has a kitchen. The village shop opens only for very restricted hours. It was closed the day I passed through. Bar Caribe does not do meals, but I think others ate at the other bar in the village.

You are talking about Castromonte; not about Castronuño (the later isn't on the Camino de Madrid but on the Camino de Levante).

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your planned stops?

Eating shouldn't be a big problem. With a little bit of planning, you can end every day in a town offering meals.

You are talking about Castromonte; not about Castronuño (the later isn't on the Camino de Madrid but on the Camino de Levante).
True. @Donovan must have mixed them up because as I remember he walked both routes.

Castromonte albergue is indeed on CdM and does have a kitchen, but Castronuno albergue on CdL doesn't have one. Restaurant by the municipal swimming pool offers food though.

I always carried a bit of sausage, a packet or two of instant soup, and a bit of chocolate or small madeline cake for those times when there were no restaurants/bars either in town, or open when I was hungry. Didn't weigh much and I never had to stress about finding food to eat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You are talking about Castromonte; not about Castronuño (the later isn't on the Camino de Madrid but on the Camino de Levante).[/QUOTE]

Hi Castilian, you're correct. Apologies.

My apologies if this has been beaten to death but my search didn't turn up anything specific.

How difficult is it to find bars/tiendas/mercados on the CdM that are reliably open? On the Frances as everyone knows most every little pueblo has a bar or three. From what I'm gathering, not so on CdM. I'd rather not spend two weeks subsisting on the Spanish equivalent of Twinkies. Cooking is of course an option but that assumes availability of a) a kitchen and b) groceries. Plus anyone who's had to eat my cooking may well prefer Twinkies (even me).

BTW, I'm looking to walk either early May or early September of next year, all the way to Santiago, and Finisterre if time permits. Anyone looking for a companion in those time frames?

I had no issues regarding food on the Camino Madrid last Spring. That said, there are some small Pueblo's ( like Ane) where there is no bar or tienda. There is a guide, from an association, regarding accomodation and food along this route. I do not recall the name but it is listed in several threads. Holidays can also be a contributor to restaurants and bars being closed.

Great Camino, I will probably start there again in 2017. My new model is to start as close as possible to my port of entry.

Ultreya,
Joe

Thanks for the feedback. I came on the PDF listing albergues/tiendas/bars etc. It seemed a little "optimistic" based on other comments I've seen, which seem to indicate many of the places are only open infrequently or at odd hours. Haven't picked up a guide yet. I've got a lot of experience carrying food from my time on the AT but my visits to mercados in Spain left me a little confused as to the best choices for lightweight eating. Not sure how to solve this problem so I guess I'll just jump in and see if I can swim.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the feedback. I came on the PDF listing albergues/tiendas/bars etc. It seemed a little "optimistic" based on other comments I've seen, which seem to indicate many of the places are only open infrequently or at odd hours. Haven't picked up a guide yet. I've got a lot of experience carrying food from my time on the AT but my visits to mercados in Spain left me a little confused as to the best choices for lightweight eating. Not sure how to solve this problem so I guess I'll just jump in and see if I can swim.

Hi, peregrino,
I am not an experienced long distance trekker but have walked a lot of caminos. I had only a couple of little problems with food or water on the Camino de Madrid, both avoidable.

One was in the Segovia to Santa Maria stage, which we walked on a Sunday. Should have known lots of places would be closed, and in fact there was no bar open at all, though several exist. We wound up getting drinks from a jovial family that had rented a casa rural about 8 km before Santa Maria. Once in Santa Maria there were plenty of options for eating. I was walking with Spaniards, and in my experience they tend to be less careful about carrying food/water, relying on bars. That usually works, but not always.

The other was that arriving in Castromonte, I had nothing with me and I was lucky that the bar owner scrounged up some home grown eggs and homemade chorizo to serve me (all probably highly illegal, but YUMMY!). I later learned though that there are in fact other Castromonte food options, which you can see by searching on the forum in this sub-section.

I carry yoghurt, a piece of fruit, and nuts/raisins and that's all I need for sustenance on the walk. Afterwards, I go to a restaurant bar and chow down! When are you walking the Madrid?

Hi, peregrino,
I am not an experienced long distance trekker but have walked a lot of caminos. I had only a couple of little problems with food or water on the Camino de Madrid, both avoidable.

One was in the Segovia to Santa Maria stage, which we walked on a Sunday. Should have known lots of places would be closed, and in fact there was no bar open at all, though several exist. We wound up getting drinks from a jovial family that had rented a casa rural about 8 km before Santa Maria. Once in Santa Maria there were plenty of options for eating. I was walking with Spaniards, and in my experience they tend to be less careful about carrying food/water, relying on bars. That usually works, but not always.

The other was that arriving in Castromonte, I had nothing with me and I was lucky that the bar owner scrounged up some home grown eggs and homemade chorizo to serve me (all probably highly illegal, but YUMMY!). I later learned though that there are in fact other Castromonte food options, which you can see by searching on the forum in this sub-section.

I carry yoghurt, a piece of fruit, and nuts/raisins and that's all I need for sustenance on the walk. Afterwards, I go to a restaurant bar and chow down! When are you walking the Madrid?

Hi and thanks for the response. My plan is for either May or September in 2017, leaning September. I've learned through my AT experience that occasional snacks help keep my energy up and make walking much more pleasant. I try to avoid long stretches without eating, especially in the morning. It takes a lot of energy to schlep this much doofus around; I lost 36 pounds on the Frances. Carrying food isn't really a problem either; I'm just a little concerned about finding food to carry! My wife walked with me on my first Camino, and she's fond of saying the Camino provides. I'll just have to trust that it will (but plan a little bit too).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back