• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fraternity on the Way

Ernesto.IT

Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
In 2014 VDLP I met (of course) many peregrinos, one in particolare a French man " Jean G ", we walked for a few our exchanging the good and bad experience of our lives before we separated we exchange email so we could keep in touch in the future.
Two days ago I had an email asking if he could get in touch by email and it was Urgent!!! Of which I answered "of course", yesterday I received this email (of which I copied for any one to see) saying that he has been attacked, robbed practically of everything and he was badly injured.
Practically he was asking my help by sending him 1200 Euro of which he would have returned after 4 days.
On the Camino (usually) we help each other like if we are family members, my first instinct was that I had to help him, so this morning I searched if I had Jean G telephone number, I rung him and he answered, I was told that he lost staff but he he didn't ask me for money. Obviously (now) the person that found his property is trying to make the most out of it.
I dont know if all this is of any use to anyone but I decide to put it on our Peregrino Fraternity website so that
the warning is "Be Kind But Be Carefull".
Buen Safe Camino
Ernesto IT

Merci pour ta réponse, en ce moment en déplacement, j'ai été victime d'une terrible agression me causant des pertes matérielles et blessures. Confronté à des énormes difficultés, j'aimerais que tu me dépannes en m'accorant un prêt, je te rembourserai dans 4 jours. J'ai besoin de mille deux cent euros. Je te laisse les Coordonnées de l'endroit ou je suis en ce moment pour me faire un mandat Western Union qui se trouve à la poste. Nom et prénom : Guitard Jean , pays : Maroc, ville : Tanger, Adresse : Imm 1 Av My Rchid Complexe Aid-Tanger. Je reste en attente des références du transfert pour le retrait. Merci pour ton aide

2016-08-05 16:48 GMT+02:00
Bien sure Jean.
Sent:
Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:52 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: /// urgent

Bonjour, comment vas-tu ? Puis-je te contacter par mail ?

Jean

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yeah, it's a scam. I have on a few occasions received emails from people, who I do know, asking for money because they have been robbed while abroad. Twice the emails said in Spain. Onc was from a person I know to be very wealthy, who would never ask me for money, nor would need to.
It may seem untrusting but I'd imagine almost every email asking for money is a scam.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
No harm in making good willed people aware of the depths some evil folk will go to con people. Yes, a scam, but let's just say there will be the odd person who will be gullible because they are kind hearted and want to help someone in their moment of need. Much the way we have to spell things out to our older relatives of the perils of cold callers on the phone.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Happens quite regularly when an email account is hacked. Hackers get access to the address book and post a cry for help aka "I have been on holidays in xyz, got robbed, please help me ..."
One major tip:
Google the text of the email received!
If it matches it is a scam ;-(
Buen Camino, SY

Grayland I'm no spring chicken but cyber equivalent of warning our elderly vulnerable relatives about dodgy roofers and Tarmac layers that call door to door.

I had the same thing happen; an old friend sent me a panicked email, asking for money after he was robbed while on vacation. Fortunately just before that, I got an email offering to transfer a large sum of money to me by a Nigerian prince, just for doing him a simple favor. So I will use that money to help my friend. God works in mysterious ways!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.