• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Free lunch

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The old system was better, food perhaps not -- but some professional beggars ruined it for everyone.
I found the food was not bad under the old "3 meals for 3 days" system but it was such a bleak experience eating alone in the staff dungeon that I had just the one meal and did not return for the rest.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found the food was not bad under the old "3 meals for 3 days" system but it was such a bleak experience eating alone in the staff dungeon that I had just the one meal and did not return for the rest.
I found the breakfast to be so copious that eating lunch was not possible ; the only time I managed more than once in the same day was breakfast plus dinner.

I've never been in there alone though ...

I found the breakfast to be so copious that eating lunch was not possible ; the only time I managed more than once in the same day was breakfast plus dinner.
Do either of you know when the switched to the current system. I kind of remember after my first camino about a few pilgrims getting rooms in the Parador for a very low price and the meal that you describe.Since I arrive in Santiago in December I have been given the free lunch 3 times. I am always thankful and have met some really nice pilgrims.

One thing no-one has mentioned is the fact that pilgrims who eat in the Parador are taking part in a ritual that has been going for several hundred years. Never mind the quality of the food or the (lack of) ambience. Think about all those who have gone before you and who would have been abidingly grateful for such a simple repast.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found the lunch to be not so good. Also some nasty pilgrims who got there late and fought to ahead of those of us who arrived early

Last edited by a moderator:
It was great to get a voucher for a free lunch which I enjoyed very much. Free lunch vouchers are given to the first 10 pilgrims each morning at the pilgrim office.

View attachment 144184
When we walked the Portogues Camino in 2018, a man came along in a Mercedes and gave bag lunches to Pilgrims on his lunch break, it was a blessing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When we walked the Portogues Camino in 2018, a man came along in a Mercedes and gave bag lunches to Pilgrims on his lunch break, it was a blessing.
One of the pleasures of walking the 88 Temple pilgrimage on Shikoku in Japan is the local tradition of ossetai - giving a gift to passing pilgrims. They can come in many forms but food is one of the more common ones. At first I was quite embarrassed to receive these but gradually came to understand that it is a way for local people to share in the pilgrimage with those who are passing by.

One of the pleasures of walking the 88 Temple pilgrimage on Shikoku in Japan is the local tradition of ossetai - giving a gift to passing pilgrims. They can come in many forms but food is one of the more common ones. At first I was quite embarrassed to receive these but gradually came to understand that it is a way for local people to share in the pilgrimage with those who are passing by.
Wow, that is really neat tradition. Thanks.

Their system of ‘choosing’ pilgrims must shift from season to season as well. When I arrived in Nov 2016, there were no vouchers. At each meal, the first ten people with credential to arrive at the designated waiting spot were led in to the staff cafeteria and then to a windowless dining room. I had one dinner; it was fine. The history of the gesture was nicer. I never tried for more meals.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back