• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Friends: Post Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
So have any of you come home to find that you don't relate at all to some of your friends that you were close to prior to the Camino? I'm just realizing how different, on so many levels, my best friend and I are and there are certain unhealthy toxic choices she makes with her life that have caused me to now think to myself 'I can't believe this is my best friend!! Why was I able to shake it off and chalk it up to her life and her choices before the Camino and now I don't want to associate anymore with her?'
It's really awkward and I feel really bad for feeling like this. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not judging her, I'm just questioning if I want her so close to me anymore.

I learned on the Camino to walk on...

Have any of you had friendships affected so profoundly after you returned? If so, how did you handle it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi TammyLynn,

Excuse the ramblings here. There is much to say after a long day. I'd like to try.

Many of us could experience the same no matter best friend, sibling, even parent or spouse. Yes, different levels. The Camino brings us to different levels which we can not entirely explain to one who has not walked.

There are those of us who have made unhealthy, toxic decisions ourselves. However, we thankfully find ourselves while walking enough to see what we're doing to our own lives. Just the same, we see that in others and realize they have no room in our lives as we've stopped walking their path, walked ahead, walked away. What I mean to say is it's quite difficult to re-enter our "normal" lives post-Camino, and having such people in our lives makes it even worse especially when it is someone we hold dear, close to heart.

I too have had your awkward feeling and it does feel incredibly horrible. It is a contradiction of sorts as we've come home with an entirely different way of thinking, yet there are those who suck the life out of us no matter how supportive we are. Perhaps these loved ones are worth really fighting for, but we all know what it's like to fight for one who doesn't want to fight on his/her own to see the beauty in life. It's good to question. You are questioning your own quality of life without unnecessary angst.

It doesn't seem as if you are judging at all. I like how you are fighting for yourself; the person you may have found on the Camino.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

]Yes TammyLynn,
] I too am experiencing the distance between my best girlfriend and myself since I've been home (just over 1 month now). I regret to say this, but I'm pretty sure our 20+ year relationship is over. She lives in another state so ending the relationship is like at the end of a good movie when everything fades to black. It's just over, sadly.

There are those at work who I don't speak to anymore and those who don't speak to me, not losing any sleep over this one. I'm thinking they can see or sense the change in me. I like the change because I know myself better, I know the kind of people I want to be around and some of the old members of the gang just don't fit the bill anymore. It's like wiping the slate clean. A refreshing new start in so many areas.

I like what Simeon said - I couldn't have said it any better......

"There are those of us who have made unhealthy, toxic decisions ourselves. However, we thankfully find ourselves while walking enough to see what we're doing to our own lives. Just the same, we see that in others and realize they have no room in our lives as we've stopped walking their path, walked ahead, walked away. What I mean to say is it's quite difficult to re-enter our "normal" lives post-Camino, and having such people in our lives makes it even worse especially when it is someone we hold dear, close to

]All we can do is to just walk on.....................

Peace be with you TammyLynn and my the Lord guide your steps.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I didn't find this after the Camino so much but I did find it several times in my life after long trips away. I don't know if it was me changing or me being away from the daily contact and influence of the other person/friend that gave me a more "removed" perspective of the friendship. Either way I was more choosy in making close friends in latter years and I suppose those that I have made were strong enough to survive my changes on the Camino. I also made new friends on the way and would still be in contact with them regularly on FB, some of the people I met it seemed that I knew already even though that was not possible, it was like continueing a previously started conversation.

Hello TammyLynn and thanks for this brave post. Tumbleweed above has on her footer,
"Within the crucible that is pilgrimage a remarkable alchemical reaction takes place that burns away the dross we have collected in our lives - so that, over time, only the purest gold will remain". Brierley
Tumbleweed

To me your experience is not too surprising. If we burn away "the dross we have collected in our lives", even a little, we have more space within to recognise the toxic. I also know from my own experience that I used to be attracted to toxicity because it was a good environment for my own toxicity. The Camino draws us towards our own authenticity, our own emptiness, our true self and the attraction of the toxic slips away. Good for you, walk on......

Each Camino has changed me and there is just a chance that I'm reaching the point where I can live with the toxicity close by without collaborating with it or having it damage me because, sometimes, out of love, that is what we may be called to do.

Walk on, TammyLynn..........

Wow, I knew if I just asked, I would receive, but I am really touched by the time you all took to write a honest and helpful response to my question!
I am walking on, and after bouncing it off of you all I feel it is the right choice for me. Nothing changes, if nothing changes, right? My Camino lessons weren't so visible to me during the Camino, but since I've been home for 2 months they are unfolding day by day. Thank you and bless you all for your support!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can say this after being home a year now.

The Camino experience has affected friends, family and business associates. It is not because I talked about it very much either. I regarded the whole experience as a very private matter and said very little.

Exactly "what" the "problem" is, I have no clue but they must be manifest to others.

There is no possible reason for me to "change back" though, even I knew how.

I love life now and, if someone cannot accept that, then it is best for me to walk on.

simply B

PS. Loved the other responses... and do not expect Camino changes to stop any time soon.

So have any of you come home to find that you don't relate at all to some of your friends that you were close to prior to the Camino? I'm just realizing how different, on so many levels, my best friend and I are and there are certain unhealthy toxic choices she makes with her life that have caused me to now think to myself 'I can't believe this is my best friend!! Why was I able to shake it off and chalk it up to her life and her choices before the Camino and now I don't want to associate anymore with her?'
It's really awkward and I feel really bad for feeling like this. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not judging her, I'm just questioning if I want her so close to me anymore.

I learned on the Camino to walk on...

Have any of you had friendships affected so profoundly after you returned? If so, how did you handle it?

Hi Tammy,

Maybe it'll be ok if you accept that you may be different now and that your closest friend hasn't been as fortunate as you?

After all they are the same person you left behind and what you liked about them is probably still there and that you may need to look harder to find those things again.

It must be nice to have a new perspective on life.

It could be argued that our new perspective is ours alone and we need to remind ourselves each person makes their own choices in life that are not our responsibility.

Just a thought and not preaching.:)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
TammyLynn, give it some time. I felt some of that too and then realized that you might not need them, but they might need and benefit from you being in their life. Relationships are not always equal in rewards. Walk your path and just like on the Camino, invite them to walk with you for a while and then walk on. Buen Camino

there are certain unhealthy toxic choices she makes with her life
That thought did not come to you on the Camino. You already knew it. Maybe the walk allowed you time to see how you are an enabler, and why that might be a bad role for you. Just a thought.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.