A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Buy any book, get free camino shell

From CDG to Biarritz or? to get to Irun

Camino(s) past & future
CF Sept/Oct 2013
CF April/May 2016
Norte (July/August 2019)
Hi :) For those who have walked before me on del Norte I am in need of some direction. How do I get to Irun? My plans are to fly into CDG then to Biarritz. I see there are trains going from Biarritz to Irun. I need help navigating. I plan to travel early July so also need suggestions on lodging in Irun as I'm sure I will need to book ahead for the first night............budget friendly places please.

andycohn

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2012,13,15); Finisterre / Muxia (15); Portugeuse (17); Primitivo (17); Norte (18); Ingles (18)
You might actually find it easier to take the train, because there are not too many flights from CDG to Biarritz, and once you get to Birarritz airpoort, you’re then going to have to take a bus into Bayonne or Biarritz to pick up the train, which actually goes to Hendaye rather than Irun. (The two towns are right across the river from one another, and it’s only a few hundred meters from the Hendaye train station to the bridge into Irun).

Check the train schedules at https://en.oui.sncf/en/. If you don’t find a good connection from the airport, then check the schedule from Gare Montparnasse in Paris. From Gare Montparnasse, there are many trains during the day, and it’s easy to get there from the airport by train or bus.

Overall, it will probably be less time by train, since you don’t have to make as many connections. Far fewer hassles, too, with security, etc., and you can stretch your legs out.

In Irun, itself, we actually stayed at a Casa Rurale called Postigu. It’s outside Irun, and cuts out about 3-4 kilometers off the first day’s walk to San Sebastian. It’s quite lovely, but not cheap.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances: St-Jean-PdP - Santiago dC - Muxía - Fisterra (Aug 2017 and March/April 2018)
There are quite a lot of flights from Paris to Biarritz but some of them go from Paris Orly airport not CDG. Check the Air France website and try entering CDG as the departure port. You can actually walk from Biarritz airport to the train station in under half an hour. I thought of it as the start of my Camino.
I would recommend an overnight in Paris, then the train from Gare Montparnasse to Hendaye, and the 10 minute shuttle from outside Hendaye station to Irun.

Camino(s) past & future
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
French high speed trains run from Paris to Hendaye, the town on the French Spanish border. From the Hendaye train station you can walk right into Irun. There is also a shuttle service from the station that goes to San Sebastián and probably stops somewhere in Irun, but we wound up taking a cab to a bus stop for our transfer to Pamplona, so I can’t give you info about this.

Can you go directly from CDG? Maybe, but we had stopped over in Paris and took an early morning train from Gare Montparnasse, the station from which trains head for many destinations in southern and southwestern France. Noodle around on the SNCF site to see if you can find any CDG-Hendaye listings. You can also search on Trainline.

Depending on the time of your arrival at CDG, you might consider booking a hotel near Gare Montparnasse and just taking the airport bus there. Overnight and take an early morning train to Hendaye. No transfers we’re involved on our trip there and we arrived about 2PM.

Camino(s) past & future
CF Sept/Oct 2013
CF April/May 2016
Norte (July/August 2019)
French high speed trains run from Paris to Hendaye, the town on the French Spanish border. From the Hendaye train station you can walk right into Irun. There is also a shuttle service from the station that goes to San Sebastián and probably stops somewhere in Irun, but we wound up taking a cab to a bus stop for our transfer to Pamplona, so I can’t give you info about this.

Can you go directly from CDG? Maybe, but we had stopped over in Paris and took an early morning train from Gare Montparnasse, the station from which trains head for many destinations in southern and southwestern France. Noodle around on the SNCF site to see if you can find any CDG-Hendaye listings. You can also search on Trainline.

Depending on the time of your arrival at CDG, you might consider booking a hotel near Gare Montparnasse and just taking the airport bus there. Overnight and take an early morning train to Hendaye. No transfers we’re involved on our trip there and we arrived about 2PM.
Hi, Yes I plan on spending the night in or around Paris. How long does it take by train from Paris to Hendaye?

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Hi, Yes I plan on spending the night in or around Paris. How long does it take by train from Paris to Hendaye?
Paris to Hendaye is roughly 5 hours on the TGV.
See schedule times and price at www.Ouigo.com

Last edited:

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 188 24.5%