• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Lourdes to Compostela

Rusa100w

Time of past OR future Camino
new
I will start the Camino next year end of February, want to start from Lourdes. I have done research but I cannot find good maps and list of "albergues". Feedback and advice is welcome. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen by Jaqueline and Georges Veron when I walked the Chemin. It's in French but had a lot of accommodation addresses.I bought the IGN maps but there is a Topoguide of the same name from FFRandonees which should have good maps and will probably save you weight and money.

If you put Chemin du Piemont Pyreneen or Voie du Piedmont Pyreneen de St Jacques or any combination of them into your search engine, you'll find lots of leads,one in particular is a one stop shop with maps, history and accommodation,but again in French. There may be a book in English that will help. The Walking Pilgrim site run by Peter Robbins has great mapping for planning.

There is a thread on here about the Lourdes to St J route which you could look at. I can't comment on albergues because I used chambres d'hote and small hotels but there is pilgrim accommodation to be had and it's discussed on the thread.

I'm sorry if this is a bit vague. I'm sure there'll be other folk with more to add.

This is very useful! so much appreciated. I will check the Walking Pilgrim site. Abusing of your kindness, could you be so kind to give me the name of the chambres d'hote and small hotels where you stayed. Cheers, Susana

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is very useful! so much appreciated. I will check the Walking Pilgrim site. Abusing of your kindness, could you be so kind to give me the name of the chambres d'hote and small hotels where you stayed. Cheers, Susana

Some of these might not still be in operation after 3 or 4 years but they were all very good:

St Pe de Bigorre- Le Grand Cedre- not cheap but very atmospheric.
Bruges- Maison Safrane- lovely room "en famille".
Sevignac Meyrac-Au Bains de Secours- nice enough rooms, great restaurant.
Oloron-Hotel Astrolabe- great value,pilgrim discount.
Barcus-Maison Carriquy- lovely house and room,posh restaurant nearby.
Mauleon Licharre-Maison Zazpian- cheapish,charming, lovely landlady,great breakfast,10 mins from centre.

We switched to the Puy route and stayed at Hotel Trinquet in Larceveau. Ok but there are better options. We stayed at the pleasant Itzalpea in St J but there are albergues and hotels aplenty there.

Most are on TA now, I think.

I did Lourdes > SJPP > Santiago de compostela , last September / October ( 2014 )
I have an English route description, and can help any way you wish
Pm me with your email address, and I'll send what you need / wish
Joe

Hi Rusa. I walked this route a couple of years ago.
I have blogged on the route, and can give you information on where we stayed if you'd like to PM me.

We flew into Barcelona, took a bus to Toulouse, then a train to Moisac.
You can begin the blog at this link, then hit newer and newer posts to see photos of the trail and lodgings where we stayed:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/05/toulouse.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi I'll respond properly soon - away from base right now. If you search this forum using Camino Piedmont you will get lots of useful ideas.

Use google translate for pages in French. It's not perfect, but not bad either. Donal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Just in another airport, and thinking February on the Camino Piedmont won't see all the Albergues open. I am thinking in particular of Mauleon. It's a big town though and will have other accommodation.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will start the Camino next year end of February, want to start from Lourdes. I have done research but I cannot find good maps and list of "albergues". Feedback and advice is welcome. Buen camino.

All necessary information, plus Credencial and stamp, is easily available from the Pilgrim Office there, at the esplanade in front of the Basilicas.

February will be tough, so I'd advise the route via SJPP

As for maps, the pilgrim/hiking paths may not always be passable, so I'd advise purchasing a local road map from a map shop or the internet, or when you get there.

Last edited:
Thank you so much to all the pilgrims for such a valuable insight, tips and recommendations! So glad I joined this forum. I am doing quite a lot of reading and mapping right now. I may came back with some more questions. Please be patient with me!

I did Lourdes > SJPP > Santiago de compostela , last September / October ( 2014 )
I have an English route description, and can help any way you wish
Pm me with your email address, and I'll send what you need / wish
Joe
Hi could you send to eddie.b@gmx.co.uk you are a life saver, thank you very much.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back