• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From O Cebreiro to Santiago - Weather Oct-Nov

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi everyone, I should start my journey on October 30th in O Cebreiro..I heard about heavy rains this past few weeks, will it be viable? Is anyone aware of the situation? thanks a lot🙏🏻
My advice would be…
1. Yes, it’s autumn, but you can (with a torch) get off early. It makes you feels so much better to be on the go as the sun rises.
2. You are going to get wet. (Like you do every day in the shower). It’s not the end of the world. Keep smiling, keep laughing. This is the real thing - much better than walking on a treadmill in an insulated environment. Galicia is fierce. Take it on and win.
3. Protect your pack. Put kit inside dry bags inside plastic bags. Cover your pack. what you’re wearing doesn’t matter - what you are going to wear in the evening, while you swap rain and mud stories and the washing machine is on will matter more.

You will have an amazing time. Ultreia!

Better to look at one of the live weather radar sites. Then you can see what is really happening instead of a forecaster’s guess.
Or, even, look out the window....

It's Otoño in Galicia. If it isn't raining it will be soon.

Take good rain-gear. I prefer an umbrella. The trail will be fine, Turista Galicia have ensured that. Keep your head up and enjoy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just did Las Herrerías > O Cebreiro > Triacastela today. Rain, cold and very strong winds between O Cebreiro and Triacastela. But for very few and short segments, the trail is in very good condition and easy to walk, even when steep. It was much more demanding climbing from Las Herrerías to O Cebreiro (very very muddy). But hey! That’s part of walking the Camino! Overall, one of the most demanding day since I started in SJPDP, but also one of the most beautiful!

My advice would be…
1. Yes, it’s autumn, but you can (with a torch) get off early. It makes you feels so much better to be on the go as the sun rises.
2. You are going to get wet. (Like you do every day in the shower). It’s not the end of the world. Keep smiling, keep laughing. This is the real thing - much better than walking on a treadmill in an insulated environment. Galicia is fierce. Take it on and win.
3. Protect your pack. Put kit inside dry bags inside plastic bags. Cover your pack. what you’re wearing doesn’t matter - what you are going to wear in the evening, while you swap rain and mud stories and the washing machine is on will matter more.

You will have an amazing time. Ultreia!
Thanks a lot! That encourage me!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Better to look at one of the live weather radar sites. Then you can see what is really happening instead of a forecaster’s guess.

I think we all understand that forecasts are exactly that – forecasts not prophecies.

For a precise measure of the weather, use the so-called “Swiss barometer”: Place a log right outside your bedroom window. In the morning, before getting out of bed, reach out of the window and place your hand on the log. If it feels cold and wet, go back to sleep; if it feels warm and dry, get up and start walking.

Get this WEATHER & RADAR app. Shows actual radar conditions and those anticipated for the next three days. In my opinion, it’s the absolute BEST app out there.

Attachments

• IMG_3921.jpeg
    IMG_3921.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3920.png
    IMG_3920.png
    3 MB · Views: 73
The up side is the crowds will be gone! I just did that same route in September in 9 days. It was extremely crowded especially on the weekend. Each region is different and Galicia is as well! I hope you can enjoy it! ❤️

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just did Las Herrerías > O Cebreiro > Triacastela today. Rain, cold and very strong winds between O Cebreiro and Triacastela. But for very few and short segments, the trail is in very good condition and easy to walk, even when steep. It was much more demanding climbing from Las Herrerías to O Cebreiro (very very muddy). But hey! That’s part of walking the Camino! Overall, one of the most demanding day since I started in SJPDP, but also one of the most beautiful!
You are the right stuff! 👍

Stein værmelding.jpg

Last edited:
For a precise measure of the weather, use the so-called “Swiss barometer”: Place a log right outside your bedroom window. In the morning, before getting out of bed, reach out of the window and place your hand on the log. If it feels cold and wet, go back to sleep; if it feels warm and dry, get up and start walking.
Using this method it won't take too long to get to Galicia. But it might take several months to get enough "dry log days" to get you from the Galician border to Santiago.

As long as we are on the topic of rainy days ... what footgear is recommended? Gore-tex? non-Goretex? Waterproof socks? quick-drying socks? Lots of socks? Gaiters even?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As long as we are on the topic of rainy days ... what footgear is recommended? Gore-tex? non-Goretex? Waterproof socks? quick-drying socks? Lots of socks? Gaiters even?
I never worry about my feet getting wet. I used Meindl walking shoes which are waterproof up to a point but if it is torrential rain or I have to walk through a stream I just accept that my feet will be wet.

I read somewhere that non waterproof shoes at least allow the water back out 😁. If Galicia comes for you, you’re going to get wet, down to your bones. But you know, it’s not that bad. Go for what feels right.😁

Hi everyone, I should start my journey on October 30th in O Cebreiro..I heard about heavy rains this past few weeks, will it be viable? Is anyone aware of the situation? thanks a lot🙏🏻
I walked from O’Cebreiro to Triacastela on October 25th and it was like the North Pole. Poor visibility, rained all day, very slippery so walked on the road a lot which I’m loathe to do but in my mind it was the safer option. I heard a few people got hyperthermia that day. Albergues can be a bit miserable with everyone hanging clothing everywhere in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get everything dry for the next day. I holed up in a hotel for 2 days. I don’t have a crystal ball but just look at the weather apps and trends for rain/ temps for this time of the year - you should get a reasonable clue of what to expect. Buen Camino!

I walked from O’Cebreiro to Triacastela on October 25th and it was like the North Pole. Poor visibility, rained all day, very slippery so walked on the road a lot which I’m loathe to do but in my mind it was the safer option. I heard a few people got hyperthermia that day. Albergues can be a bit miserable with everyone hanging clothing everywhere in an (unsuccessful) attempt to get everything dry for the next day. I holed up in a hotel for 2 days. I don’t have a crystal ball but just look at the weather apps and trends for rain/ temps for this time of the year - you should get a reasonable clue of what to expect. Buen Camino!
Long-term forecast for Galicia (Sarria was my focal point) is very bad: from today Thursday Oct. 31 to Sunday Nov.5 it is forecasted 2-digits mm's of rain each day, as well as quite strong winds. I feel for all pilgrims out there.:-(

Last edited:
I walked OC to SDC from Oct 22 until Oct 26. Rained every day. On the 26th the forecast was for 54mm and I think we got it 😂. It was elemental and we took the view that it was Galicia at its raw Celtic best. There were places that were slippery and places where the water came over the boots, but it was doable. If you have flexibility, then perhaps slightly shorter days, a private room or two might help. Whatever you decide, Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back