• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fun Forum Fact

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am curious to know what that means... it sounds intriguing!

'Bots'. Basically it means they are automated programs that 'crawl' a website. Some are harmless and just gather information from the site. Like Google for example. (Did I really just say Google is harmless) Others not so harmless. Might be crawling the site to gather email addresses.

They are everywhere..........

If you click on the 'robot's' link you can see what they are. Search Engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, crawling the site to see what it's all about. Adsense checking on google adverts etc etc.

I'm actually not a bot....

My comment is more about how people (myself included) just don't want to appear silly or uninformed in front of their peers, especially when we are new to the "tribe".

72 hours to go before I start the CF!

Gord

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Having looked at the data, some of the bots are targeting member's individual profiles - why?

That is one reason I chose NOT to use my true name as my user ID on the forum. As this forum is open to 'search-bots' from Google, Bing, Facebook etc., a general query in Google, Bing or Facebook typically brings up ALL your Forum activity to anyone.

I know that personal privacy has long since disappeared, but I see no reason to make it easier for those who might mine my data or statements and commercialize what I view as a personal relationship with my extended Camino family. Or, did I misunderstand our group affiliation and shared solidarity?

I respect Ivar's need to manage and use this data to monitor and manage the Forum. But, I do not want every commercial firm in cyberspace to be able to reach out and spam me.

I hope this helps..

Last edited:

My comment is more about how people (myself included) just don't want to appear silly or uninformed in front of their peers, especially when we are new to the "tribe".

Gord
Not wishing to go off topic but do not ever be afraid to ask any question about anything on the forum, we were all where you are now once upon a time and we learned by asking.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Years ago...when my boys were still teenagers...they decided to play a prank on me. They would put the word "spoons" about 10 times at the bottom of every e-mail, then change the font to white so I could not see it. I was just happy I received so many e-mails from them at the time I never suspected any other motives, until I was barraged by ads for spoons. Every time I opened my browser there was an ad for spoons. I didn't remember searching for spoons. I certainly didn't need spoons. And who sells spoons only? I mean, is it a specialty field or something?
I got them back after I figured it out (took two months).
I began putting the words "poodle skirt" and "go-go boots" in white in every e-mail I sent them.
To this day I still get ads for spoons.

Gord

For heaven's sake Gord, Out with it! Ask your question. Or send me a PM and maybe I can help........

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Robots are good for pilgrims. f.ex.: Searching for "santiago pilgrim" (without the quotes) The Pilgrim House of Nate & Faith is on search hit 11-20 in Google (page 2), and this forum is on hit 21-30 (page 3). Which makes them fairly good finds for future pilgrims. But they should try to work their ways up to the Top 10 result list;) But Nate must have done a good webjob. A challenge for Ivar to beat him, with a much bigger & older site... ;)

Without robot visits, it will mean that search engines do not see your website. Not good: MUCH fewer visitors.

Edit I: However, looking more closely at the OP's screenshot, it appears that out of 1017 people in here at that time, 174 were robots (good), 113 were members (good), 730 were guests (BAD): Convert them to (donating) members! Sales job to be done, Ivar! ;);):)

Edit II: By saying sales job, I mean the following: This invaluable free access forum, that many oldtimers have become addicted to, as well as newbies who are able to collect a wealth of highly useful planning info from it, is of course depending on some form(s) of income in order to being able to exist. That is my point. Join it, support it, and feel good.;)

Last edited:
Ivar, is it possible to restrict the readability of the forum to registrered members only? The membership being free, of course, but in order to read, register?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having looked at the data, some of the bots are targeting member's individual profiles - why?

Bots crawl every page on a website. I wouldn't be overly concerned about them...... As others have said, it's just one of the reasons to take care on the Internet with the data that you submit / share.

Without getting into technical detail, this is why if you own a website it is better to show your contact email as a clickable link using the word email or 'click for contact' or similar, rather than actually showing the email address in full. Bots crawl sites looking for email addresses to send you spam emails.

What is that great bit of advice? Don't put anything on the Internet that you are not happy to share with everyone.......forever.

Years ago...when my boys were still teenagers...they decided to play a prank on me. They would put the word "spoons" about 10 times at the bottom of every e-mail, then change the font to white so I could not see it. I was just happy I received so many e-mails from them at the time I never suspected any other motives, until I was barraged by ads for spoons. Every time I opened my browser there was an ad for spoons. I didn't remember searching for spoons. I certainly didn't need spoons. And who sells spoons only? I mean, is it a specialty field or something?
I got them back after I figured it out (took two months).
I began putting the words "poodle skirt" and "go-go boots" in white in every e-mail I sent them.
To this day I still get ads for spoons.
It must have been fun growing up in your household. :)

I have actually found answers to questions i didn't know I had just by lurking and following some of the fascinating threads.

Right now I am trying to fix an issue with non chip prepaid cards thanks to the info on this forum.

I owe you all a debt of gratitude. Without this forum and the posters herein, my Camino would be more stressful than it need be, or should be.

Warmest regards all!
Gord

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Without getting into technical detail, this is why if you own a website it is better to show your contact email as a clickable link using the word email or 'click for contact' or similar, rather than actually showing the email address in full. Bots crawl sites looking for email addresses to send you spam emails.
Won't help. Bots looking for email addresses know this trick and others and look for the HTML code that isn't displayed (and probably java script and certainly text that looks like me at example dot com.

I've even written a bit of code that I can run on a page to grab the id code of an embedded youtube video to turn it into a clickable link to the youtube website. The id code is not visible on the page.

I've even written a bit of code that I can run on a page to grab the id code of an embedded youtube video to turn it into a clickable link to the youtube website. The id code is not visible on the page.

So you're the culprit :)

Maybe let's leave it at.

What is that great bit of advice? Don't put anything on the Internet that you are not happy to share with everyone.......forever.

Without getting into technical detail, this is why if you own a website it is better to show your contact email as a clickable link using the word email or 'click for contact' or similar, rather than actually showing the email address in full.
Not recommended. Spam robots will easily read it. Links are clear text.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have actually found answers to questions i didn't know I had just by lurking and following some of the fascinating threads.

I owe you all a debt of gratitude. Without this forum and the posters herein, my Camino would be more stressful than it need be, or should be.

Warmest regards all!
Gord

Buen Camino
Happy for you, seriously. How about supporting us all with a small donation? ;) For the benefit of all of us, I mean? ;)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades

Already done! This resource is too valuable not to support.

Gord
What a remarkably intelligent creature that has arrived in our flock! Thank you soo much!;):):):)

Seriously, though: You are absolutely correct: So many people have so many questions and anxieties before their first caminos; they are all solved here. And so many oldtimers (me included) now and then have the need for crying out their longings back to the Way. This is the place. Easy to enable and support with a small yearly donation. :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Gord! Congratulations! You are now part of our secret gang. Initiation is the secret handshake and buying everyone from the Forum a vino tinto when you see them.
You will get so much information, and reliable comments about the Albergues and restaurants and trails that is well worth your donation!
So dig in. Get into the discussion on bag weights, reservations and footwear, but don't miss the wonderful insightful posts of pilgrims too, the veteran members that guide you not only by foot but by heart.
And let the people you will leave behind as you walk know about this site. It will be a way of explaining to them what the Camino is about, so they understand your call to walk.
Buen Camino little Brother!

Gord! Congratulations! You are now part of our secret gang. Initiation is the secret handshake and buying everyone from the Forum a vino tinto when you see them.
You will get so much information, and reliable comments about the Albergues and restaurants and trails that is well worth your donation!
So dig in. Get into the discussion on bag weights, reservations and footwear, but don't miss the wonderful insightful posts of pilgrims too, the veteran members that guide you not only by foot but by heart.
And let the people you will leave behind as you walk know about this site. It will be a way of explaining to them what the Camino is about, so they understand your call to walk.
Buen Camino little Brother!
Indeed. It is very important that, in certain circumstanses, we see the importance and value of our support of some things like this, that really matters, and our physical action towards that. I salute you and your likes, Gord, @G_the_D , and hope to meet you and buy you a glass of good Rioja somewhere on the Way!:) This forum is a relief to both newbies and oldtimers: In a short time you will be an oldtimer yourself.

Last edited:
Anyone who meets me along the way, I will be happy to share a nice bottle of the local tinto.

I'll try to keep up on the forum as I go, hope to see some of you along the way. (Goatee is gone for now but will be returning as I walk...)

Buen Camino

G

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Robots are good for pilgrims. f.ex.: Searching for "santiago pilgrim" (without the quotes) The Pilgrim House of Nate & Faith is on search hit 11-20 in Google (page 2), and this forum is on hit 21-30 (page 3). Which makes them fairly good finds for future pilgrims. But they should try to work their ways up to the Top 10 result list;) But Nate must have done a good webjob. A challenge for Ivar to beat him, with a much bigger & older site... ;)

Too funny, Alex! Maybe because we have "pilgrim" in our name and we're located in Santiago...? If you search for "Camino forum" I bet this site is at the top :). But it may be something to work for, getting on to Google's page 1 instead of page 2. Let's see what happens. Now you've given us a new standard that we weren't even thinking about before. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.