• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Get to Know the Camino del Mar

Dave

Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 2002; most recent: Norte/Primitivo 2019
Years ago, I remember staring at a map of the different Caminos. OK, that part is hardly unusual, even today. But at that time I was focused on the blank space on the northern coast between Ribadeo, where the Camino del Norte veers inland, and Ferrol, where the Camino Inglés begins. Wouldn’t it be cool, I thought, if you could actually stay on the coast, all the way to Ferrol?

Well, you can actually stay on the coast, and it is, in fact, very cool. The route is called the Camino del Mar, aka the Camiño do Mar, aka the Ruta do Mar. I just completed my third trip on the Mar, both to enjoy it and to make a fresh round of guidebook updates, and I’m more excited about it than ever. Read on to learn more.

Is the Mar an official Camino?

That’s a more complicated question than you might initially appreciate! There is historical legitimacy to the route. We have records and physical remains of pilgrims walking through these towns. The cathedral, more recently, acknowledged the Mar. (For me, this triggered a shift in nomenclature, from “Ruta” to “Camino.”) I’ve seen pilgrims with distance certificates that include the Camino del Mar, so that speaks to the acknowledgement. However, the Xunta has not *yet* recognized the Mar, though it will rule on this soon. That formal recognition would bring funding, which would be very helpful! But I have no qualms about labeling this as a “real” branch of the Camino.

Does the Mar have a significant spiritual element?

Yes, absolutely. First, the Mar brings pilgrims to the oldest cathedral in all of Spain: San Martiño de Mondoñedo. Likely originating in the 9th century, and no longer functioning as an official cathedral, the basilica preserves some of its original murals. The adjacent botanical gardens are a nice bonus.

mondonedo.jpg

More significant, though, is the village of San Andrés de Teixido, arguably the second most significant pilgrimage site in Galicia. James, it turns out, wasn’t the only apostle to end up in the northwest corner of Spain! Saint Andrew, the story goes, was stranded by the cliffs neighboring Teixido after his boat capsized. After settling here, the poor guy grew envious of the pilgrim traffic to Santiago, and fair enough. He complained to God and Saint Peter; in turn, he was promised that all mortals would come to his sanctuary, living or dead. By one account, those who don’t make it on their first go-round will be reincarnated as lizards to make the journey. So you’re coming to Teixido one way or another–might as well do it the fun way, on pilgrimage!

teixido.jpg

Teixido is a fabulous little village, perched high above the Atlantic. It’s an amazing place to see the sun set. The little church has a colorful altar, lined with offerings in support of intercessory prayer. The few bars in the village specialize in percebes, or “goose barnicles,” which I heard multiple pilgrims rave about.

How is the waymarking?

I’m glad you asked, because this is the most exciting development over the past few years. First, though, it’s important to lay out some definitions related to what we’re talking about when we talk about the Camino del Mar…

If you’ve walked the Camino del Norte, you know that there are multiple sections where the yellow arrows lead inland. However, the GR E9, a walking route marked with red and white blazes, roughly parallels the Norte, sometimes overlapping, and sometimes taking a more scenic (often longer) approach closer to the coast. So, pilgrims on the Norte will periodically opt to deviate from the “official” Norte and follow the GR instead.

Similarly, on the Mar you have the “official” Camino del Mar, which often will veer inland for a shorter approach that tends to link together different churches in small villages, while other coastal options provide interesting alternatives. So, with that in mind, back to the waymarking question. It varies!

The “official” Camino del Mar has vastly improved yellow arrows that pick up after Rinlo (a small town after Ribadeo) and are fairly reliable en route to Teixido. They’re not perfect. Cities are very tricky. Some wooded stretches are difficult, as plant overgrowth or peeling eucalyptus trees can obscure the markings. But they are so, so much better than they were just a few years ago, and local Amigos are to be praised for their dedication to this work. It has made a huge difference.

As Teixido is a significant pilgrimage site, it also has its own waymarks, which include slim cement Ichthys posts. These pick up on the Mar as you get closer to Teixido, but they are much more prominent between Teixido and Narón, on the Camino Inglés. If you choose to follow the direct, inland, “official” Camino del Mar between Teixido and Narón, you’ll mostly be relying on the Teixido arrows and posts, and they’re quite reliable. Note that if you do this, you will also bypass the center of Ferrol!

Between Ribadeo and Ladrido (just after O Porto de Espasante), the “Camiño Natural da Ruta do Cantábrico” (I’m just going to call it the Cantábrico) generally follows the coast and is exceptionally well waymarked. Leaving Ribadeo, the Mar follows the Cantábrico for the opening ~20km, and they overlap at plenty of other points.

After the Cantábrico ends, things get more complicated on the coast. Some parts of the route are unmarked. Some, including a few unfortunate stretches, are highway bound for a while. At other points, though, it links together other established, lovely routes. For example, the coastal walk from Teixido to Cedeira is magnificent walking with clear arrows on the “Ruta dos Peiraos,” and further south, after Lavacerido, the “Costa Ártabra” is similarly well marked and amazingly scenic.

In sum, I would still advise any pilgrim walking the Mar to do so with gps tracks. You’ll be able to walk long stretches by solely following the waymarks, but you’ll be happy to have them for tricky intersections, towns, and some of the unmarked variants. I’m optimistic, though, that this will continue to improve as more pilgrims discover the Mar–and especially if the Xunta comes through.

Is there a pilgrim infrastructure?

Beyond waymarks, I’ll define infrastructure here as accommodation, water, services, baggage transport, and stamps/sellos.

There is only one albergue on the Mar currently, the Oli Vita Hostel in Viveiro. It’s not an “albergue de peregrinos,” but it’s very pilgrim-friendly, and its host, Oliva, is a huge advocate of the Mar. Having only one albergue is obviously not ideal.

On the bright side, many parts of the Mar are well off the beaten path, and most holiday-goers looking for a beach vacation don’t make it to this area. As such, even in summer there are some towns with very budget-friendly hotels. Burela, O Vicedo, and O Porto de Espasante, especially, had rooms in the 30-40 euro range when I passed through during the peak of this summer.

That said, there are some stretches where the only accommodation options are pricier, and this is particularly true for pilgrims who want/need to walk shorter stages. (The exciting news is that there is now a casa rural in San Andrés de Teixido, as it didn’t have any accommodation options for years. It’s also gorgeous, with a price to match.)

As such, budget-conscious pilgrims currently have two options. One is to wild camp. That’s easy to do on many parts of the Mar, but I recognize it’s a non-starter for most pilgrims. The other is to do the FEVE shuffle. The FEVE train line roughly parallels the Mar between Ribadeo and A Ponte de Mera, so some pilgrims will set up shop in one town for a few nights, then use the train to pop back and forth. The train is no longer an option after A Ponte de Mera, but there are buses linking together some of the other towns.

Water access varies by location. Between Ribadeo and Covas, you’re unlikely to go much more than 10km without a refill point, between the fountains and bars along the way. After that, though, you might face some longer stretches, especially between Covas and Esteiro, and again from A Ponte de Mera en route to Teixido. So it’s not perfect, but you can always knock on a door, put on a smile, and make a friend.

I generally have no trouble getting my daily coffees, resupplying on groceries, or finding a restaurant when I need one, but some anticipation is required. That is to say, as with water, there are some occasional longer stretches (in the 20-25km range) where you won’t find an open bar, but you’ll generally have access to a supermarket or grocery prior to those, so you can stock up accordingly.

There is no baggage transport on the Mar right now, and I doubt it’s coming in the near-term. There just isn’t enough traffic to justify it. The FEVE shuffle is probably a solution for this as well, though–establish a base camp, leave your pack, and walk freely.

Finally, stamps are hit-or-miss. Some accommodations have already embraced this and have the aesthetically-pleasing stamps that we love on Camino. Ayuntamientos have town stamps, if you can catch them open. But every business in Spain is going to have an address stamp, and that’ll do the job if you want something in your credential.

Are there interesting or beautiful things to see?

Oh my goodness, yes. Beyond the pilgrimage-specific sites mentioned above, the Mar is overstuffed with incredible scenery. I’m going to forcibly limit myself to ten:

1) Praia das Catedrais (Stage 1): It’s in the running for the most famous beach in Spain. Do everything you can to hit it at low tide (keeping in mind that you have to make a reservation). I haven’t had the good fortune yet, but even at moderate tide it’s gorgeous.

catedrais-1.jpg

2) The Sargadelos ruins (Stage 3): Maybe you’ve seen the lovely white and blue porcelain pieces for sale at shops around Galicia and beyond. They’re iconic. Well, Sargadelos has a long history, and it originated here, in these evocative ruins.

sargadelos.jpg

3) San Cibrao (Stage 3): A delightful beach town organized around a perfect little peninsula, with a legendary association with mermaids.

mermaid.jpg

4) Viveiro (Stage 4): For my money, the most interesting town on the Mar. A picture-perfect old town, distinguished by the region’s characteristic “galerias” lining each building.

viveiro.jpg

5) El Mejor Banco Del Mundo (Stage 5): While “the best bench in the world” gets the headlines, the coastal walk from Playa de Esteiro to O Porto de Espasante is marvelous, nearly every step of the way

mejorbanco.jpg

6) The Castelo de Casón (Stage 6): The ruins that survive are very limited, but the views from the top are fantastic

7) Miradoiro de Garita de Herbeira (Stage 6): The views from the cliffs surrounding Teixido are amazing, but this viewpoint stands out as especially memorable (and not just because, after seeing zero pilgrims my whole walk, I miraculously found two separate pilgrims here!)

miradoiro.jpg

8) The Praia Da Frouxeira in Valdoviño (Stage 7): This very popular surf town has a huge beach that you can walk across, proceeding alongside the interior lagoon

valdovino.jpg

9) The Costa Ártabra trail after Lavacerido (Stage 7): Another exceptional stretch of coastal walking

artaba.jpg

10) Castelo de San Filipe (Stage 7): For those following the coast, your final approach to Ferrol begins with this hulking castle

filipo.jpg

This has gone long enough, so to sum it up…

The Camino del Mar isn’t for everyone. The lack of albergues and luggage transport, combined with the need for gps will turn many away. But if you want stunning natural beauty, solitude, and enough interesting and significant historical/cultural sites to sate your curiosity, then I recommend it enthusiastically!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your details and lovely pictures certainly will generate some new interest in this Camino, Dave.
I recall that forum member @Magwood walked the del Mar in the spring of 2016. She was just several days ahead of me on the Norte, but she continued along the coast instead of turning inland as I had done to walk the Primitivo. Her website can be found on her profile page where she has done a great job documenting her many Caminos, including the del Mar.

Last edited:
Thank you!! I've been looking into a Norte / E9 combo, and it's even more interesting now.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If it has campsites, that would suffice for me.

Is there an official PDF or route plan for it, yet?

Sorry didn't realise you'd written a book. Just bought a copy, thanks.

Last edited:
So glad to see a place to stay in Teixido. I had planned to walk this Camino with my wife in March 2020, but it was hard to figure out visiting Teixido. Covid solved that issue. We’ll put it back on the bucket list. Thanks for all your work.

Years ago, I remember staring at a map of the different Caminos. OK, that part is hardly unusual, even today. But at that time I was focused on the blank space on the northern coast between Ribadeo, where the Camino del Norte veers inland, and Ferrol, where the Camino Inglés begins. Wouldn’t it be cool, I thought, if you could actually stay on the coast, all the way to Ferrol?

Well, you can actually stay on the coast, and it is, in fact, very cool. The route is called the Camino del Mar, aka the Camiño do Mar, aka the Ruta do Mar. I just completed my third trip on the Mar, both to enjoy it and to make a fresh round of guidebook updates, and I’m more excited about it than ever. Read on to learn more.

That’s a more complicated question than you might initially appreciate! There is historical legitimacy to the route. We have records and physical remains of pilgrims walking through these towns. The cathedral, more recently, acknowledged the Mar. (For me, this triggered a shift in nomenclature, from “Ruta” to “Camino.”) I’ve seen pilgrims with distance certificates that include the Camino del Mar, so that speaks to the acknowledgement. However, the Xunta has not *yet* recognized the Mar, though it will rule on this soon. That formal recognition would bring funding, which would be very helpful! But I have no qualms about labeling this as a “real” branch of the Camino.

Yes, absolutely. First, the Mar brings pilgrims to the oldest cathedral in all of Spain: San Martiño de Mondoñedo. Likely originating in the 9th century, and no longer functioning as an official cathedral, the basilica preserves some of its original murals. The adjacent botanical gardens are a nice bonus.

mondonedo.jpg

More significant, though, is the village of San Andrés de Teixido, arguably the second most significant pilgrimage site in Galicia. James, it turns out, wasn’t the only apostle to end up in the northwest corner of Spain! Saint Andrew, the story goes, was stranded by the cliffs neighboring Teixido after his boat capsized. After settling here, the poor guy grew envious of the pilgrim traffic to Santiago, and fair enough. He complained to God and Saint Peter; in turn, he was promised that all mortals would come to his sanctuary, living or dead. By one account, those who don’t make it on their first go-round will be reincarnated as lizards to make the journey. So you’re coming to Teixido one way or another–might as well do it the fun way, on pilgrimage!

teixido.jpg

Teixido is a fabulous little village, perched high above the Atlantic. It’s an amazing place to see the sun set. The little church has a colorful altar, lined with offerings in support of intercessory prayer. The few bars in the village specialize in percebes, or “goose barnicles,” which I heard multiple pilgrims rave about.

How is the waymarking?

I’m glad you asked, because this is the most exciting development over the past few years. First, though, it’s important to lay out some definitions related to what we’re talking about when we talk about the Camino del Mar…

If you’ve walked the Camino del Norte, you know that there are multiple sections where the yellow arrows lead inland. However, the GR E9, a walking route marked with red and white blazes, roughly parallels the Norte, sometimes overlapping, and sometimes taking a more scenic (often longer) approach closer to the coast. So, pilgrims on the Norte will periodically opt to deviate from the “official” Norte and follow the GR instead.

Similarly, on the Mar you have the “official” Camino del Mar, which often will veer inland for a shorter approach that tends to link together different churches in small villages, while other coastal options provide interesting alternatives. So, with that in mind, back to the waymarking question. It varies!

The “official” Camino del Mar has vastly improved yellow arrows that pick up after Rinlo (a small town after Ribadeo) and are fairly reliable en route to Teixido. They’re not perfect. Cities are very tricky. Some wooded stretches are difficult, as plant overgrowth or peeling eucalyptus trees can obscure the markings. But they are so, so much better than they were just a few years ago, and local Amigos are to be praised for their dedication to this work. It has made a huge difference.

As Teixido is a significant pilgrimage site, it also has its own waymarks, which include slim cement Ichthys posts. These pick up on the Mar as you get closer to Teixido, but they are much more prominent between Teixido and Narón, on the Camino Inglés. If you choose to follow the direct, inland, “official” Camino del Mar between Teixido and Narón, you’ll mostly be relying on the Teixido arrows and posts, and they’re quite reliable. Note that if you do this, you will also bypass the center of Ferrol!

Between Ribadeo and Ladrido (just after O Porto de Espasante), the “Camiño Natural da Ruta do Cantábrico” (I’m just going to call it the Cantábrico) generally follows the coast and is exceptionally well waymarked. Leaving Ribadeo, the Mar follows the Cantábrico for the opening ~20km, and they overlap at plenty of other points.

After the Cantábrico ends, things get more complicated on the coast. Some parts of the route are unmarked. Some, including a few unfortunate stretches, are highway bound for a while. At other points, though, it links together other established, lovely routes. For example, the coastal walk from Teixido to Cedeira is magnificent walking with clear arrows on the “Ruta dos Peiraos,” and further south, after Lavacerido, the “Costa Ártabra” is similarly well marked and amazingly scenic.

In sum, I would still advise any pilgrim walking the Mar to do so with gps tracks. You’ll be able to walk long stretches by solely following the waymarks, but you’ll be happy to have them for tricky intersections, towns, and some of the unmarked variants. I’m optimistic, though, that this will continue to improve as more pilgrims discover the Mar–and especially if the Xunta comes through.

Beyond waymarks, I’ll define infrastructure here as accommodation, water, services, baggage transport, and stamps/sellos.

There is only one albergue on the Mar currently, the Oli Vita Hostel in Viveiro. It’s not an “albergue de peregrinos,” but it’s very pilgrim-friendly, and its host, Oliva, is a huge advocate of the Mar. Having only one albergue is obviously not ideal.

On the bright side, many parts of the Mar are well off the beaten path, and most holiday-goers looking for a beach vacation don’t make it to this area. As such, even in summer there are some towns with very budget-friendly hotels. Burela, O Vicedo, and O Porto de Espasante, especially, had rooms in the 30-40 euro range when I passed through during the peak of this summer.

That said, there are some stretches where the only accommodation options are pricier, and this is particularly true for pilgrims who want/need to walk shorter stages. (The exciting news is that there is now a casa rural in San Andrés de Teixido, as it didn’t have any accommodation options for years. It’s also gorgeous, with a price to match.)

As such, budget-conscious pilgrims currently have two options. One is to wild camp. That’s easy to do on many parts of the Mar, but I recognize it’s a non-starter for most pilgrims. The other is to do the FEVE shuffle. The FEVE train line roughly parallels the Mar between Ribadeo and A Ponte de Mera, so some pilgrims will set up shop in one town for a few nights, then use the train to pop back and forth. The train is no longer an option after A Ponte de Mera, but there are buses linking together some of the other towns.

Water access varies by location. Between Ribadeo and Covas, you’re unlikely to go much more than 10km without a refill point, between the fountains and bars along the way. After that, though, you might face some longer stretches, especially between Covas and Esteiro, and again from A Ponte de Mera en route to Teixido. So it’s not perfect, but you can always knock on a door, put on a smile, and make a friend.

I generally have no trouble getting my daily coffees, resupplying on groceries, or finding a restaurant when I need one, but some anticipation is required. That is to say, as with water, there are some occasional longer stretches (in the 20-25km range) where you won’t find an open bar, but you’ll generally have access to a supermarket or grocery prior to those, so you can stock up accordingly.

There is no baggage transport on the Mar right now, and I doubt it’s coming in the near-term. There just isn’t enough traffic to justify it. The FEVE shuffle is probably a solution for this as well, though–establish a base camp, leave your pack, and walk freely.

Finally, stamps are hit-or-miss. Some accommodations have already embraced this and have the aesthetically-pleasing stamps that we love on Camino. Ayuntamientos have town stamps, if you can catch them open. But every business in Spain is going to have an address stamp, and that’ll do the job if you want something in your credential.

Oh my goodness, yes. Beyond the pilgrimage-specific sites mentioned above, the Mar is overstuffed with incredible scenery. I’m going to forcibly limit myself to ten:

1) Praia das Catedrais (Stage 1): It’s in the running for the most famous beach in Spain. Do everything you can to hit it at low tide (keeping in mind that you have to make a reservation). I haven’t had the good fortune yet, but even at moderate tide it’s gorgeous.

catedrais-1.jpg

2) The Sargadelos ruins (Stage 3): Maybe you’ve seen the lovely white and blue porcelain pieces for sale at shops around Galicia and beyond. They’re iconic. Well, Sargadelos has a long history, and it originated here, in these evocative ruins.

sargadelos.jpg

3) San Cibrao (Stage 3): A delightful beach town organized around a perfect little peninsula, with a legendary association with mermaids.

mermaid.jpg

4) Viveiro (Stage 4): For my money, the most interesting town on the Mar. A picture-perfect old town, distinguished by the region’s characteristic “galerias” lining each building.

viveiro.jpg

5) El Mejor Banco Del Mundo (Stage 5): While “the best bench in the world” gets the headlines, the coastal walk from Playa de Esteiro to O Porto de Espasante is marvelous, nearly every step of the way

mejorbanco.jpg

6) The Castelo de Casón (Stage 6): The ruins that survive are very limited, but the views from the top are fantastic

7) Miradoiro de Garita de Herbeira (Stage 6): The views from the cliffs surrounding Teixido are amazing, but this viewpoint stands out as especially memorable (and not just because, after seeing zero pilgrims my whole walk, I miraculously found two separate pilgrims here!)

miradoiro.jpg

8) The Praia Da Frouxeira in Valdoviño (Stage 7): This very popular surf town has a huge beach that you can walk across, proceeding alongside the interior lagoon

valdovino.jpg

9) The Costa Ártabra trail after Lavacerido (Stage 7): Another exceptional stretch of coastal walking

artaba.jpg

10) Castelo de San Filipe (Stage 7): For those following the coast, your final approach to Ferrol begins with this hulking castle

filipo.jpg

The Camino del Mar isn’t for everyone. The lack of albergues and luggage transport, combined with the need for gps will turn many away. But if you want stunning natural beauty, solitude, and enough interesting and significant historical/cultural sites to sate your curiosity, then I recommend it enthusiastically!
Thanks for the detailed info on this route, meantime got your book and in my mind i'm already walking :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If it has campsites, that would suffice for me.

Is there an official PDF or route plan for it, yet?

Sorry didn't realise you'd written a book. Just bought a copy, thanks.
No worries! I know there are campings near Catedrais, just after Foz, in Viveiro, and in Valdoviño. You could probably pitch a tent in some of the Áreas de Autocaravanas--I've read there are toilets and showers at the one in Ortigueira. It's very easy to free camp elsewhere, though.

I've decided I'm going to forego Primitivo for another year and walk this route after I finish the Salvador. Thinking of taking the train to Ribadeo from Oviedo, then walk from there.

How many days would it take to do it including Ingles, based on 30km days, back to back? Probably a better question is, is it viable to do 30km days on all stages? I have limited time and want to do a small part of another camino route after.

mondonedo.jpg

teixido.jpg

How is the waymarking?

catedrais-1.jpg

sargadelos.jpg

mermaid.jpg

viveiro.jpg

mejorbanco.jpg

miradoiro.jpg

valdovino.jpg

artaba.jpg

filipo.jpg

Thanks for this wonderful post and your incredibly helpful guide! We walked the Del Mar last fall and I agree with all your superlatives. The scenery, challenges, people and solitude make this Camino nothing less than inspiring. The only addition I would make to your comments is that, until this Way becomes endorsed by the Xunta and gets more support, most businesses are not on “pilgrim time” or aware of pilgrim friendly meals. Typical of rural Spain, evening meals are not available until 8:00 or later, breakfasts not until 9:30. That being said, I’m sure that as the Way becomes more popular, things will change…I hope not by much because it’s an awe inspiring Way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How many days would it take to do it including Ingles, based on 30km days, back to back? Probably a better question is, is it viable to do 30km days on all stages? I have limited time and want to do a small part of another camino route after.
A lot will depend on a) the decisions you make on Mar vs. coastal variants, and b) how much of a priority you place on staying in campgrounds. As a frame of reference, here's the stage table from the front of the book:

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 12.40.12 PM.png
So, for example, you could stay at campings after Catedrais (20km-ish) or after Foz (40km+ from Ribadeo). Not a perfect fit for 30km--does that become two stages, or can you pull one long one?

The biggest distance variables come in those last three stages. Instead of 88km direct inland from Viveiro to Cuiña to Teixido, you're looking at ~173km. Big difference! A lot of people mix and match. For example, they follow the coast to Cedeira, then cut inland to the direct route to Narón after.

It'll be easier with the book, or with gps tracks. A full set is available on the Cicerone page for the book, under downloads. (I need to update some of these, following this summer's walk--it's on my unfortunately long to-do list.)

Dave

It's not set in stone. I would like to mix it up, do some coastal, also see the main religious sites, enjoy myself. I would prefer not to be doing back to back 40km days if I can help it. :p But saying that, it should be possible by the time I hit it as I will have already completed around 400km. But ideally 30-35km max per day. I'm one of those people that gets up at 6, on the road by 7 and finish at around 6-7pm, so tend to walk at least 10 hours most days.

My guess is I will largely pass Catedrais and go straight to Foz on day one and stay at Camping San Rafael. I am probably not going to head to San Cibrao the next day due to the chemical factory next to it and instead will stop at Burela. Do the churches have stamps that you can get, so could I go to the church in Burela to get my daily stamp? That day i thought about trying to find somewhere to pitch near the Mirador above the town, plus I saw a chapel nearby possibly with toilets and a fountain.

Then on day three try and work out some way to cross to Viveiro while avoiding San Cibrao.

Beyond that point I don't know. Probably a mix of follow your book, see what wikiloc has to offer and enjoy the walk. :)

mondonedo.jpg

teixido.jpg

How is the waymarking?

catedrais-1.jpg

sargadelos.jpg

mermaid.jpg

viveiro.jpg

mejorbanco.jpg

miradoiro.jpg

valdovino.jpg

artaba.jpg

filipo.jpg

Thank you for this summary! We walked this last fall and can’t find enough superlatives. Yes the lack of infrastructure and the unfamiliarity of the local populace with “pilgrim ways” was a problem at times but it was part of the journey. All in all, it is a wonderful Camino and we join Oliva in her attempts to get it approved!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for this wonderful post and your incredibly helpful guide! We walked the Del Mar last fall and I agree with all your superlatives. The scenery, challenges, people and solitude make this Camino nothing less than inspiring. The only addition I would make to your comments is that, until this Way becomes endorsed by the Xunta and gets more support, most businesses are not on “pilgrim time” or aware of pilgrim friendly meals. Typical of rural Spain, evening meals are not available until 8:00 or later, breakfasts not until 9:30. That being said, I’m sure that as the Way becomes more popular, things will change…I hope not by much because it’s an awe inspiring Way.
thanks for all the information and insights. I plan to walk it in Sept 2024 Buen Camino!!!!

Thanks for the information. I'm hoping to walk this in April / May 2024. I'll add this to my "CdM research" file. Accommodation appears to be the main issue. Did you book ahead or wing it? The latter is my preferred way of walking.

Thanks for the information. I'm hoping to walk this in April / May 2024. I'll add this to my "CdM research" file. Accommodation appears to be the main issue. Did you book ahead or wing it? The latter is my preferred way of walking.
My friend and I booked ahead given the uncertainty of the route. We then we’re able to split the cost which made it only slightly more pricey than a typical municipal Albergue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.