• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Madrid to Ferrol?

KarinaH

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés, June 2023
Sorry if this has been addressed ad nauseum, but I couldn't find it. (However, I think I could now give someone directions to SJPdP from several major European cities!)

My friend and I leave Belize the morning of 31 May to walk the Camino Inglés. The last leg of our international flights departs from London, arriving in Madrid at 7:20pm on 1 June. The last flight I see to Santiago departs at 7:50pm, which with baggage claim, Customs, and Immigration, is not doable, so we plan to overnight in Madrid.

We want to reach Santiago early enough the next day to store our shared checked bag at Casa Ivar, and then head to Ferrol to start the trek back the next morning.

What is the best way to get to Santiago from Madrid? Plane or train? I don't want to book a hotel conveniently next to the airport if it will mean a very inconvenient trip to the train in the morning. And while I can't say "price is no object," I don't necessarily need the bargain basement price, either. Convenience is worth paying a bit more. I'm in my 60's and handicapped, so I'd like to be able to start as fresh as possible.

And then we bus from Santiago to Ferrol?

I think I have everything else all ironed out, just that small important bit of actually getting to Santiago and then on to Ferrol, and I'm going a bit batty trying to sort it all on a little cell phone...

Thanks in advance for your input! God bless!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @KarinaH you have a long journey ahead.

There is an Alsa bus that leaves at midnight to Santiago from the airport in Madrid.
Doable but I guess very tiring for you.

Why not book a hotel close to trainstation Madrid Chamartin so you can take one of the many trains there to Santiago?
There is one that leaves at 8 am and arrives at 11.19.

In Santiago you can take the bus ( Monbus company ) to Ferrol.

You will enjoy the Ingles!

Hi @KarinaH you have a long journey ahead.

There is an Alsa bus that leaves at midnight to Santiago from the airport in Madrid.
Doable but I guess very tiring for you.

Why not book a hotel close to trainstation Madrid Chamartin so you can take one of the many trains there to Santiago?
There is one that leaves at 8 am and arrives at 11.19.

In Santiago you can take the bus ( Monbus company ) to Ferrol.

You will enjoy the Ingles!
Thank you so much!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last May I flew United Airlines from Washington DC IAD to MAD. Arrived Terminal 1 MAD 8:05 AM. Then flew Iberia Express 11:15am, from MAD Terminal 4 to SdeC Airport. Taxied into town.

Stayed overnight at a nice place near the Plaza de Mazarelos, then walked to the new Intermodal Station. Bought ticket, departed 12:30 pm via MONBUS for El Ferrol. Cost Euros 11.60. Arrived about 1:30pm. Pleasant trip. But thought that the Ferrol bus station was kinda lame....

Another option, stay out by the airport with a convenient hotel shuttle, shuttle back to T4 in the morning and take the Cercanias train from T4 to the Chamartin station. Trains for Santiago leave from Chamartin. The bus and train station in Santiago are co-located.

I would buy train tickets now as train tickets do sell out. As of right now there look to be tickets available. It is about a 3 1/2 train ride. I book through thr Trainline App as it is easier for me than the Renfe App.

Train.

Overnight near Chamartin station in Madrid.

Train next day to Santiago. Book it in advance. Trainline’s a good option.

Check the bus times from Santiago to Ferrol and book a late afternoon one. Taxi to and from Ivar’s to drop off your luggage.

You’ll love the Ingles.

(I was in Belize for a couple of months in the early 80’s on jungle warfare training when I inadvertently invaded Guatemala. Officer with a map; it happens.)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have never found any "good" overnight options near Chamartin. If I stay downtown, I stay near Atocha and take the Cercanias train to Chamartin the next day.

I have never found any "good" overnight options near Chamartin. If I stay downtown, I stay near Atocha and take the Cercanias train to Chamartin the next day.
‘Hotel Chamartin The One’ is literally on top of the station and not expensive ; OK it’s a bit corporate; but if I’d just got off a flight from Belize and wasn’t familiar with Madrid I’d take efficiency over authenticity for the first night.

Personally - I agree, I’d stay in central Madrid, but I’ve spent plenty of time there and know my way around.

Train.

Overnight near Chamartin station in Madrid.

Train next day to Santiago. Book it in advance. Trainline’s a good option.

Check the bus times from Santiago to Ferrol and book a late afternoon one. Taxi to and from Ivar’s to drop off your luggage.

You’ll love the Ingles.

(I was in Belize for a couple of months in the early 80’s on jungle warfare training when I inadvertently invaded Guatemala. Officer with a map; it happens.)
Your plan is exactly what we settled on! I passed the training grounds day before yesterday and noticed the live fire flags were up! Made me want to stop and "play" but I don't think they'll let me. (Lol and I was so happy when I finally made Major and all the "officer with a map/compass" jokes finally stopped!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back