• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions related to getting your Compostela

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023; walking 13 days total.
Hi,
I could not find a thread on this so forgive me if this has been asked in the past. Just a few questions:

1) We already have Credentials from books we've bought. So if starting at Porto, we need to go into the Cathedral to get our first stamp, correct? Can anyone tell me the name of the Cathedral? I'd like to check hours as we start walking on a Saturday.

2) In Santiago, is it best to plan nothing else the morning you get in line to get your Compostela? I've heard you check in and then are given a time to return. Is this usually 1-2 hours later? I've read morning is best before 10.

3) I have read that you go to the International Pilgrim's Reception Center and they are open 9-7 daily. Is there anything else helpful to know? Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So if starting at Porto, we need to go into the Cathedral to get our first stamp, correct?
Not necessarily the Cathedral, but you can if you want to.

Probably more important symbolically for a first Camino I'd guess -- the only real rule is get 2/day in the final 100K if you want your Compostela, else 1/day along the way to show in the Albergues that you're a pilgrim.

If you're staying overnight prior to departure, then at least get one from where you'll stay.

Maybe get one from your local Parish Church at home ?

1) We already have Credentials from books we've bought. So if starting at Porto, we need to go into the Cathedral to get our first stamp, correct? Can anyone tell me the name of the Cathedral? I'd like to check hours as we start walking on a Saturday.
It's the Se Cathedral in Porto. It's not required to get a stamp there, but it's nice to start there.

2) In Santiago, is it best to plan nothing else the morning you get in line to get your Compostela? I've heard you check in and then are given a time to return. Is this usually 1-2 hours later? I've read morning is best before 10.
In past years the process too much longer. Nowadays you pre-register for the Compostela and it shouldn't take more than half an hour.
Here's the link to register.

3) I have read that you go to the International Pilgrim's Reception Center and they are open 9-7 daily. Is there anything else helpful to know? Thank you!
Yes, the hours are 9 - 7. Information on this Google Maps link:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We already have Credentials from books we've bought.
I am curious about these - did you get separate official credentials when you happened to buy some books? Or where these part of another book?

I only ask because I remember this thread, which didn't reach a clear conclusion. Maybe you could post a photo of yours.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Probably more important symbolically for a first Camino I'd guess -- the only real rule is get 2/day in the final 100K if you want your Compostela, else 1/day along the way to show in the Albergues that you're a pilgrim.

If you're staying overnight prior to departure, then at least get one from where you'll stay.

“the only real rule is get 2/day in the final 100K if you want your Compostela”
I didn’t get 2 stamps per day in the last 100K but had stamps for each day on the VDLP from Seville. I got the Compostela without incident. It makes me wonder how hard and fast the rule is.

It isn't hard and fast. The volunteers can exercise some discretion. But if receiving a Compostela is important then it makes little sense to disregard the rules and risk being refused.
Exactly. And if you get someone in the office who is going by the rules, saying you read on the internet that it wasn't necessary isn't going to cut it. 😁

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I might also plan to go to pilgrim mass if you get your compostellas quickly or put off getting the compostellas until.after pilgrim mass. Even if you are not religious it adds closure to the journey.
I no longer ask for a Compostela at the end of my Caminos but I would never have asked for one before visiting the Cathedral. The Compostela testifies that the named person has visited the tomb of the Apostle so it seems a nonsense to request one before having done so. Why would I want to hang a lie on my wall?

I no longer ask for a Compostela at the end of my Caminos but I would never have asked for one before visiting the Cathedral. The Compostela testifies that the named person has visited the tomb of the Apostle so it seems a nonsense to request one before having done so. Why would I want to hang a lie on my wall?
Not all pilgrims know this and they don't ask you at the Pilgrim office if you visited the tomb of the Apostle when you get a Compostela.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's "ad limina" which means literally "to the thresholds"/"to the doors", but really, de facto, the Cathedral plus its immediate surroundings.

So if you've reached the plaza, you've reached "ad limina".

It's "ad limina" which means literally "to the thresholds"/"to the doors", but really, de facto, the Cathedral plus its immediate surroundings.

So if you've reached the plaza, you've reached "ad limina".
In its translations of the Compostela and other texts the Cathedral renders ad limina as "to the Tomb of the Apostle" ("hasta la Tumba del Apóstol"). In the most common modern usage of ad limina - the mandatory visit by Catholic bishops to Rome every five years - Catholic canon law makes it quite explicit that the visiting bishop is to venerate the tombs of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul ("Beatorum Apostolorum Petri et Pauli sepulcra veneraturus"). ad limina in the specifically religious context clearly means more than just being in the general vicinity.

I have a very strong pedantic streak and I feel that even words written in an unfamiliar language have meaning and that meaning should be respected. One of the reasons why I no longer ask for a Compostela at the end of my own Camino journeys is that I am no longer convinced that my own motives for walking meet the conditions named in the Compostela. I do not want to claim one under false pretences. For similar reasons I no longer receive communion when attending a eucharistic service of any denomination. I may have lost my earlier personal religious convictions but I still feel it is important to treat religious observances, customs and symbols with respect. Which includes the Compostela.

Yes, we are in Lisbon, Fatima and Porto at least two days each. So you are saying get one our last day in Porto? I can do that, and also one day one in the Cathedral. Thank you!

It's the Se Cathedral in Porto. It's not required to get a stamp there, but it's nice to start there.

In past years the process too much longer. Nowadays you pre-register for the Compostela and it shouldn't take more than half an hour.

Oh awesome, thank you so much!! That was all so helpful!

I am curious about these - did you get separate official credentials when you happened to buy some books? Or where these part of another book?

I only ask because I remember this thread, which didn't reach a clear conclusion. Maybe you could post a photo of yours.
Yes, I got them with books I bought from the Camino Forum store. I took pics but lately (2nd time now!) Apple has turned my photos into an HEIC format and I can't upload them anywhere. Oy vay!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, I'm definitely going! I'm Catholic so that is really important to me. I just wish I could see the Botafumeiro but that only occurs on holy days unfortunately!

Oh, I didn't know that! Well, we are going there before the Compostela so inadvertently I planned it that way!

In its translations of the Compostela and other texts the Cathedral renders ad limina as "to the Tomb of the Apostle" ("hasta la Tumba del Apóstol"). In the most common modern usage of ad limina - the mandatory visit by Catholic bishops to Rome every five years - Catholic canon law makes it quite explicit that the visiting bishop is to venerate the tombs of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul ("Beatorum Apostolorum Petri et Pauli sepulcra veneraturus"). ad limina in the specifically religious context clearly means more than just being in the general vicinity.

I have a very strong pedantic streak and I feel that even words written in an unfamiliar language have meaning and that meaning should be respected. One of the reasons why I no longer ask for a Compostela at the end of my own Camino journeys is that I am no longer convinced that my own motives for walking meet the conditions named in the Compostela. I do not want to claim one under false pretences. For similar reasons I no longer receive communion when attending a eucharistic service of any denomination. I may have lost my earlier personal religious convictions but I still feel it is important to treat religious observances, customs and symbols with respect. Which includes the Compostela.
I'm sorry you no longer receive communion and have lost your religious convictions. Perhaps next time you are in Santiago or a Catholic church you can talk to a priest and just get some spiritual direction. It could be cleansing to your soul. God bless you and I will pray for you Bradypus!

Oh, I'm definitely going! I'm Catholic so that is really important to me. I just wish I could see the Botafumeiro but that only occurs on holy days unfortunately!
It also swings on days that a group pays for it. You don't have to belong to the group to see it. The dates and times are not publicized, so it's the luck of the draw, though if you arrive in Santiago during a busy season you have a better chance of a group paying for it.

This thread has more information

In its translations of the Compostela and other texts the Cathedral renders ad limina as "to the Tomb of the Apostle" ("hasta la Tumba del Apóstol")
You are correct, and the reference to the Catholic bishops' visits ad limina apostolorum is a good example. They don't travel to some threshold or to a building with a square in front of it, they make pilgrimage to the tombs of the apostles in Rome.

Thousands of websites translate ad limina as to the thresholds. I never understood this, what's that supposed to mean: the "thresholds of an apostle"? So I finally decided to look it up in a Latin dictionary. It means a house, dwelling, abode in the given context, and it has had this meaning already for some 2000 years. In his sermon at the pilgrim mass, the archbishop of Santiago often refers to the Cathedral as the House of Saint James, and in the medieval world the whole church or cathedral was regarded as the tomb of a saint whose relics were kept in this church or cathedral. Hence, the translation of the Compostela text from Latin to Spanish: to the tomb of the Apostle, as you already said.

Just for the record, a quote from a standard dictionary for limen:

I. a threshold; the head-piece or foot-piece of a doorway, the lintel or the sil
1. a door, entrance
2. a house, dwelling, abode: “matronae nulla auctoritate virorum contineri limine poterant,” in the house, at home, Livy 34, 1

Last edited:
It isn't hard and fast. The volunteers can exercise some discretion. But if receiving a Compostela is important then it makes little sense to disregard the rules and risk being refused.
It makes me wonder how hard and fast the rule is.
Brady is correct for sure. I think it depends on how "hard and fast" the volunteer is that you present your credential to.

Brady is correct for sure.
It's a very good opinion, and I would hardly diss anyone for following it, but IMO it's an opinion insufficiently cognizant of the fundamental broad polysemy of Latin nouns and verbs, and IMO unhelpfully suggesting strict 1:1 translation into a language like modern English which creates fine semantic distinctions via a means of a large and highly detailed massive dictionary vocabulary.

The phrase "Ad Limina" means multiple things simultaneously in Latin, which is perfectly desirable in the Aesthetic of that (very beautiful) language.

Latin thrives on double, treble, quadruple meanings -- English is an almost exact opposite to it, aesthetically. And of course, the fine detail expressiveness of English precision is just as beautiful !!

But to try and define Latin according to the Aesthetic of English is a non-starter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's a very good opinion, and I would hardly diss anyone for following it, but IMO it's an opinion insufficiently cognizant of the fundamental broad polysemy of Latin nouns and verbs, and IMO unhelpfully suggesting strict 1:1 translation into a language like modern English which creates fine semantic distinctions via a means of a large and highly detailed massive dictionary vocabulary.

The phrase "Ad Limina" means multiple things simultaneously in Latin, which is perfectly desirable in the Aesthetic of that (very beautiful) language.

Latin thrives on double, treble, quadruple meanings -- English is an almost exact opposite to it, aesthetically. And of course, the fine detail expressiveness of English precision is just as beautiful !!

But to try and define Latin according to the Aesthetic of English is a non-starter.
It is all Greek to me!! 😊

It also swings on days that a group pays for it. You don't have to belong to the group to see it. The dates and times are not publicized, so it's the luck of the draw, though if you arrive in Santiago during a busy season you have a better chance of a group paying for it.

This thread has more information
Oh! That never occurred to me! Yes, so a paid pilgrimage group...that makes sense! I will pray that our timing coincides! I've been on several pilgrimages and I know they often have private masses but it's worth a shot! Thanks for the link!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've been on several pilgrimages and I know they often have private masses but it's worth a shot!
@robindysard, there are four pilgrim masses every day and of these, mass at 9:30, 12:00 and 19:30 are transmitted online when there isn’t a technical problem. For a while, I followed it quite often. When the Botafumeiro swings, it is usually at the 12:00 or 19:30 mass, rarely at 9:30 but it happens.

Once and by chance, I happened to see that a special or private pilgrim mass had been arranged for such a pilgrimage group. They filled the whole Cathedral. I don’t recall who they were, I don’t think that they were long-distance foot pilgrims and had come by bus to Santiago. I happened to notice that it had been arranged that they entered and left the cathedral through the north portal while normally the south portal serves for this purpose.

Buen Camino!

The north portal is now also used for those visitors who wish to give a hug to the statue and visit the crypt. You can see it clearly on the webcam. For some time now, the flow of those visitors is separated from those who wish to walk through the naves or attend pilgrim mass; they enter from the south.

I happened to switch it on and caught the moment where the priest (it is actually the former archbishop at today's midday mass) listed some pilgrims - such as desde Ribadeo, peregrinos de Malaga - and as usual without saying their names. Then he said the names of two (I think) deceased persons who will be included in prayer today. Also, one of their cantors is present which is not always the case. The lesson of the day (or some other text, I am no longer certain now) is read by an elderly Spanish couple who are well dressed - not in Camino pilgrim outfit.

I am fairly certain that the Botafumeiro will swing at the end.

Hi,
I could not find a thread on this so forgive me if this has been asked in the past. Just a few questions:

This may help you 😀

I am fairly certain that the Botafumeiro will swing

Well, it did not swing at the end. I am not always right ☺️.

But one should bear in mind that the misa del peregrino is for all who come to the tomb of the Apostle and not just for the peregrin@s who have walked a number of kilometres on a Camino de Santiago. Buen Camino to all.

Well, it did not swing at the end. I am not always right ☺️.

But one should bear in mind that the misa del peregrino is for all who come to the tomb of the Apostle and not just for the peregrin@s who have walked a number of kilometres on a Camino de Santiago. Buen Camino to all.
It hasn’t swung for me each occasion I’ve arrived into Santiago. One day…..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

The registration form doesn't have anything for coming from Arles, France, on the Via Tolosalana. It only has names of caminos in Spain/Portugal. How can I register? Or do I need to, ony show up and get a ticket for later in the day?

Thanks.

The registration form doesn't have anything for coming from Arles, France, on the Via Tolosalana. It only has names of caminos in Spain/Portugal. How can I register? Or do I need to, ony show up and get a ticket for later in the day?

Thanks.
There is no registration necessary, or even possible, when you begin your Camino.

Get your credencial and have it stamped where* you start, then once a day and, for the 100km before Santiago, twice a day. If you're on bicycle, get it stamped twice a day for the 200km before Santiago.

* Churchgoing pilgrims often have their first stamp from their home parish.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Fred Gaudet, I am not sure what your question is.

If it is about how to fill in the online registration form for getting a Compostela or a Distance Certificate when you started in Arles in France on the Via Tolosana then the answer is still the same as in May: You chose "French Way" as your "Camino" and then "Arles" as your "Start of the way" in the online registration form. You can do this now or when you have arrived in Santiago.

You cannot chose "Otros Caminos" (Other Caminos). It won't work.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree. To me the credential is most important/impressive. It always looks better if it's filled up! I used to be too lazy to bother with 2 stamps the last 100k...never refused... now it's like an excuse to get another coffee...

Is it still possible to get Compostela same day of arrival? We will arrive about Oct 14th and will train to Madrid early the next morning.

I have a friend walking his first Camino, want to make sure.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back