• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Pamplona to st Jean

tony downey

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
I am starting on 1st march and need travel from Pamplona to st Jean, I cannot seem to find any 2016 timetables online or any companies, any help appreciated. It is also possible that I can use Madrid to St Jean if anyone knows any bus companies

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi!

Here you can get the ticket by bus direct from the Airport Madrid - Barajas Teminal 4 to Pamplona. https://www.alsa.es/

Once there you can get a bus from the main bus station of Pamplona to SJPP. Use to be a bus at 17.00h, to SJPP or maybe just to Roncesvalles... depends of the bus company. If the bus just goes to Roncesvalles, there you can get a taxi. I recomend you get a taxi in Pamplona sharing the cost with other pilgrims to SJPP. Use to cost about 60 -to 65 euros. Close the price first with the taxi driver.

Buen Camino!

There are no buses that early in the year to SJPdP. There is a bus to Roncesvalles every day except Sunday. From there a taxi is your only choice the rest of the way to SJPdP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am starting on 1st march and need travel from Pamplona to st Jean, I cannot seem to find any 2016 timetables online or any companies, any help appreciated. It is also possible that I can use Madrid to St Jean if anyone knows any bus companies
i was going to take a bus but met 3 other pilgrims on the train from madrid so we split the 90 euro fare 4 ways...

CONDA provides bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP from approx Easter. They may or may not be running 1 March (Probably Not). ALSA (which operates CONDA) does not usually post schedules more than one month in advance.

So you can take taxi from Pamplona OR

From Madrid take Renfe train to Irun or ALSA bus to San Sebastian.

Then take Donostealdea Metro (aka Euskotren) from San Sebastian Amara or Irun Colon to Hendaia.

Then take SNCF train or Transports64 bus (816) from Gare d'Hendaye to Bayonne. Most Transports64 (816) buses don't go to Gare Bayonne ... they go to Place de Basques 1 km away.

Then take SNCF TER Aquitaine train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP.

There are several options for different combos of buses and trains from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne. (such as some Renfe Trains terminate in Gare d'Hendaye) See ALSA, PESA, and RENFE Cercanias (San Sebastian). There is also local bus service from San Sebastian to Irun.

San Sebastian Airport (EAS) is located 3km from Irun Renfe station.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The easiest ride is to hire is Teletaxi san Fermi (http://www.taxipamplona.com/comparte_en.php)...the cost from Pamplona Airport to Roncesvalles is 60 Euros or from Pamplona Airport to SJPDP is 105 Euros...but you can share the ride and expense with any other Pilgrims traveling to either of these desitinations...also there is a bus that will take you from Pamplona to Roncesvalles for cheap but you have to travel to the main bus station first (http://www.gomarbella.com/pamplona/pamplona-to-roncesvalle-bus-timetable.htm)...I recommend traveling to Roncesvalles and staying a night then the next day hire a ride to SJPDP and climb back over the Pyrenees mountains with a minimal daypack leaving the bulk of your backpack weight at your accommodation in Roncesvalles for the pick-up on the return trip...I am enclosing a map of the Camino trails from SJPDP over the Pyrenees Mountains to Roncesvalles and a plan of Roncesvalles...personally I did not feel connected to the Camino until I arrived in Roncesvalles and attended the Pilgrim Blessing Service at the Cathedral...my experience on the Route of Napoleon was very difficult so I recommend minimal daypack with plenty of trail food and water and it will take a full day to cross the Pyrenees Mountains.

Attachments

• LES PORTS DE CIZE.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • Roncevaux.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Conda website says there is a daily bus at 2.30 from Pamplona to St Jean from 1 Mar. Not sure if this relates to this year or just 2015. Or whether it applies on Sundays. Also, as far as I can make out from the Spanish, you can only buy a ticket in Pamplona, i.e. not online. The online link to buy tickets doesn't accept St Jean as destination. As the bus services peregrinos arriving at Pamplona from all destinations, you might not get a seat. If there are any fluent Spanish speakers reading this, confirmation of what the website is saying would be appreciated. The page URL is http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438.
Thanks
Deb

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ALSA is poor at posting future schedules, but in the past, they have not started service to SJPdP before the Holy Week. Easter in 2016 is on March 27, so there may be bus service a week or two before that. My guess is that March 1 will still be too early.

Artieda operates buses from Pamplona to Roncesvalles throughout the year:

SERVICIOS OFRECIDOS
Línea Roncesvalles. Camino de Santiago

Autocares Artiedatiene la concesión de la Línea Regular: PAMPLONA – RONCESVALLES

No se puede hacer reserva de billetes por Internet. Tampoco por teléfono.
La compra de billetes, tanto para los pasajeros como para bicicletas,
solamente se puede realizar en la Estación de autobuses de Pamplona / Ventanilla única, el mismo día de viaje.
Horario de taquilla de la Estación: Desde las 07:00 h hasta las 20:00 h, con una parada para la comida de 15:00 h a 15:30 h

HORARIO DE INVIERNO (Desde el 1 de Septiembre. hasta el 30 de Junio.)

Pamplona - Roncesvalles

- Lunes-martes-miércoles- jueves: 15:00
Salida de la Estación de Autobuses de Pamplona
C/ Yangüas y Miranda, 2 Pamplona (Centro ciudad)

- Viernes: 18:00 h

- Sábado: 16:00 h
Salida de la Estación de Autobuses de Pamplona
C/ Yangüas y Miranda, 2 Pamplona (Centro ciudad)

- Domingos y Festivos: No hay servicio

Roncesvalles - Pamplona
- De lunes a sábado: 09:20 h (Salida de Roncesvalles)
- Domingos y Festivos: No hay servicio

Preguntas frecuentes:
- El trayecto tiene una duración de 1 hora y diez minutos aproximadamente.
- El precio es de: 6 euros / pasajero 6 euros / bicicleta
- La venta de billetes para los pasajeros se realizará en la Taquilla única de la Estación de Autobuses.
- Las bicicletas se facturarán en el mismo lugar. Tendrán que desmontar la rueda delantera y alforjas.
- Las mascotas no están permitidas dentro del autobús. Pueden viajar en su propio transportín en el maletero del autobús (bajo la responsabilidad de su dueño) -Únicamente se permite viajar dentro del autobús a los perros guía.

El horario de verano (meses: julio y agosto) se publicará en la web con un mes de antelación.

Also, as far as I can make out from the Spanish, you can only buy a ticket in Pamplona, i.e. not online. The online link to buy tickets doesn't accept St Jean as destination.

The link doesn't say you can buy a ticket just in Pamplona but that tickets to SJPP are sold just out of Pamplona, Soria, Zaragoza and San Sebastián. If you start at any other city/town like, for example, Madrid or Barcelona, you have to make two separate bookings:
  1. From your starting city/town to Pamplona with the bus company that makes that route.
  2. From Pamplona to SJPP with Conda (clicking on Compra tu billete at the bottom of the web you linked).
Saint Jean de Pied de Port is accepted as destination but you have to be on the Nacionales (Nationals) tab; not on the Internationales (International) tab.

If there are any fluent Spanish speakers reading this, confirmation of what the website is saying would be appreciated.

In addition to what I said above, IMHO, the only other relevant info would be the schedule from Pamplona to SJPP but I don't know if the schedule quoted on the link (that includes more seasonal services than the one departing at 14:30 from March 1st till November 2nd) is the same that will be in service in 2016 so I won't quote it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found a nice train ride from the Madrid airport to the Madrid train station and then from there to San Sebastian and then a short bus ride to St. Jean. Check the schedules.

Last year there was 3 buses from Pamploona to St Jean, I took the 1st at 10am from the main bus station, just google it, have a great camino.

The link doesn't say you can buy a ticket just in Pamplona but that tickets to SJPP are sold just out of Pamplona, Soria, Zaragoza and San Sebastián. If you start at any other city/town like, for example, Madrid or Barcelona, you have to make two separate bookings:
Saint Jean de Pied de Port is accepted as destination but you have to be on the Nacionales (Nationals) tab; not on the Internationales (International) tab.
Are you sure? I am actually starting from San Sebastián but with that as Origen, I cannot get St Jean to come up as a Destino on either Nacionales o Internacionales. St Jean is not on the listado for either. What am I doing wrong? This is the link I'm using
http://www.movelia.es/transicion_conda/venta.htm#

EDITED: Turns out to be the wrong link. See my later post below.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you sure? I am actually starting from San Sebastián but with that as Origen, I cannot get St Jean to come up as a Destino on either Nacionales o Internacionales. St Jean is not on the listado for either. What am I doing wrong? This is the link I'm using

This is what you are doing wrong:

CONDA provides bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP from approx Easter. They may or may not be running 1 March (Probably Not).
ALSA (which operates CONDA) does not usually post schedules more than one month in advance.

Today is 24 January. Easter falls on 27 March and is more than 1 month away ...

Edit:

Service starts 1430 1 March 2016 Pamplona to SJPdP. There is also an 1800 bus starting April.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the link I'm using

EDITED: Turns out to be the wrong link. See my later post below.

No, it isn't. You can book through that link too. Look for "Saint Jean de Pied de Port" as destination on the Nacionales (Nationals) tab. I don't have any problems to get schedules for the route from Donostia/San Sebastián to SJPP on your travel date and the page allows me to select my preferred one to continue with the booking process.

The link I gave above was wrong. I booked the ticket starting from this link:
https://www.alsa.es/nuestros-destin...210VgnVCM1000002401005eRCRD&searchType=common

Conda is nowadays part of Alsa so you can also book through the web of Alsa what, for some reason, worked better for you than making it through the web of Movelia. But you can also book it through the web of Movelia if you want (or prefer) it. In other words, the movelia link you provided works and isn't wrong but if you fail with it, you can try with the Alsa web. OTOH, if someone fails booking through the web of Alsa, s/he can try to book it through the web of Movelia (www.movelia.es)... It works in both directions. If one web doesn't work for you, try the other one. Both webs should work but you know sometimes there are bugs...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The easiest ride is to hire is Teletaxi san Fermi (http://www.taxipamplona.com/comparte_en.php)...the cost from Pamplona Airport to Roncesvalles is 60 Euros or from Pamplona Airport to SJPDP is 105 Euros...but you can share the ride and expense with any other Pilgrims traveling to either of these desitinations...also there is a bus that will take you from Pamplona to Roncesvalles for cheap but you have to travel to the main bus station first (http://www.gomarbella.com/pamplona/pamplona-to-roncesvalle-bus-timetable.htm)...I recommend traveling to Roncesvalles and staying a night then the next day hire a ride to SJPDP and climb back over the Pyrenees mountains with a minimal daypack leaving the bulk of your backpack weight at your accommodation in Roncesvalles for the pick-up on the return trip...I am enclosing a map of the Camino trails from SJPDP over the Pyrenees Mountains to Roncesvalles and a plan of Roncesvalles...personally I did not feel connected to the Camino until I arrived in Roncesvalles and attended the Pilgrim Blessing Service at the Cathedral...my experience on the Route of Napoleon was very difficult so I recommend minimal daypack with plenty of trail food and water and it will take a full day to cross the Pyrenees Mountains.
After reading your post, you got me considering your suggestion to take taxi to Roncesvalles, staying overnight and returning from STPDP with just a day pack. I think it's brilliant. Ever since I booked to do the Camino, I have been worried about the Napoleon Pass. You classify it as very difficult. Coming from someone from Denver, you are scaring me! How bad was it?

After reading your post, you got me considering your suggestion to take taxi to Roncesvalles, staying overnight and returning from STPDP with just a day pack. I think it's brilliant. Ever since I booked to do the Camino, I have been worried about the Napoleon Pass. You classify it as very difficult. Coming from someone from Denver, you are scaring me! How bad was it?

Most of it follows a road. You could drive the whole section except there isn't road for the entire distance. The difficult part is that of distance. Its 25 km uphill, a long day walk, particularly if you are not used to it. Further, it is in mountains, so there is risk of bad weather which brings risk of hypothermia, particularly at the end of the day when your energy levels are low.

That 1st day from St Jean is the scariest part of the camino to me. Even if you stop at Orisson, it's a hell of a hike to Roncesvalles. Was feeling reasonably confident a couple of months ago. Then hot, humid weather nixed the long training walks. A joyous family reunion/holiday with the nietos, no training walks involved, replaced 3 days lead up walk on the Puys into St Jean.

Mann tracht, Gott lacht. El Camino has plans of its own. Climb every mountain! Vincero!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back