• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Santiago de Compostela to Paris (cheaply)

jeremy.jones

Time of past OR future Camino
July (2013)
I don't know if there is a direct train? Or a train at all? maybe a cheap flight? Can someone please help me? I am new to the Camino and traveling mainland europe. I have friends in england and I will meet with them after I do the Camino. But i need to get to paris somehow. Possibly from there to London. Help!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Jeremy,

Others may know the train system better, but I bought an airline ticket to get me back to Paris once I am done with my Camino. Vueling airlines flies from Santiago to CDG, but I know other airlines fly nearby. For example, Ryan Airlines flies from Santiago to London-Stansted. There are others as well, Kayak.com is my goto for flights like that, but others may have suggestions.

As for price, it varies greatly depending on when you fly and how far in advance you book, but flying out of Santiago on a Friday cost me around 100 euros.

I needed to get to Paris at the end of my first Camino in 2008 as well, and didn't want to book ahead as I didn't know how long the walk would take me. It was going to cost me about 250 Euro to fly at short notice, so I took the day/night train combo that existed then for about 200 Euro with a sleeper. However, I then met up with some young ones who had been far smarter with their arrangements. They took a train to Porto, and managed to get a cheap flight out of Porto to Paris. Worth considering!
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or if you are going on to London immediately and could skip Paris, Ryanair flies from Santiago to Stanstead. We booked on the midnight flight which was half the price of the others....and then it was cancelled and we were put on the lunchtime flight but did not have to pay more!

I would look for any Ryanair flight out of Santiago even if its Frankfurt 'BOOk early for cheapest ticket (keep checking online as you walk) and then on to Paris by cheap Eurolines bus,if booked 2/3 weeks ahead £10/15 gets you from Paris to London Victoria on above or Megabus.
I,ve Booked a TGV train on SNCF from Paris to Bayonna for £30 3 weeks ahead and will be looking to do the same when I return in 2/3 months time, that or fly Ryanair to London and Megabus to Paris.
I will get to Bayonna using cheap slow trains along the Northern coast of Spain-trying always to make everything a part of my Camino.
but I have the time and doing things cheaply often means doing them slowly.
Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you all for your responses! I will probably fly, from what I can tell. It seems to be even cheaper than taking a night train. I think what I will do is take a train to Madrid and fly out of there. It's much cheaper. Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back