• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting lonely on via de la Plata

besacier

I would like to walk again the camino to Santiago- but avoid the absurd crowd of pillgrims of the Camino Frances during may and june- I thaught via della Plata could be a nice alternative- Yet , the company, sharing and meeting of fellow other pillgrims on the way is SO much part for me of the camino that I was concerned it may just got to the other extreme- of meeting no one, and being alone most of the time- wich, by choice, isnt why Iam setting off walking;How frequented is via della plata in April? and may? Is there another route someone good advise me wich has a good flow of pillgrims, without getting too much during this period? Thank you;

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, besacier,

I walked the Vdlp in May during the 2010 Holy Year. There were very few people, and the thought was that many people had put off their Vdlp because of the fear of overcrowding. Even so, there were usually people around at night. I only remember one night when there were only two of us in a big albergue north of Zamora. Other nights we had company -- lots of Spaniards and Germans, with a few other nationalities sprinkled in.

This past spring, things were very different, I believe. If you look at CaroleH's posts from May-June, you'll see that they fled the Vdlp for the Ingles because of the crowds (I think that's right, but check our her own description). The route is getting much more popular, I don't think it can accurately be called a solitary route any more. Not like the Camino de Madrid, or Invierno, etc.

People living along the route say that the highest spikes in traffic are right around Easter, whenever it falls. I started on May 1 in Sevilla, and it was absolutely lovely through Andalucia and Extremadura. Springtime in those places is amazing -- carpets of lots of different wildflowers, lots of babbling streams, it's a real joy. All the best to you in your planning, Laurie

There were 1,387 arrivals in May, 2011 who walked the Via de la Plata. They started in April, so you can expect about 40 fellow pilgrims per day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked Zamora-Santiago this year starting May 16. There were several days - at least 4/5 where I saw other pilgrims only at the end of the day. Several other days I would only see a few all day. Definitely not the Frances at the same time.

Hello besacier.
My wife and I walked from Seville to Carceres last year, starting on 20 April. There were very few peregrinos, only about a dozen or so each day. Usually none was in sight while walking, a huge contrast to the Frances. Nor is there anything like the same number of small villages and cafes between overnight stops, where you can take a break and chat to fellow-walkers and the locals. Nevertheless, we often had company for dinner, the weather and path were great, and some of the places - Zafra, Merida, Carceres, for example - are wonderful.
Best wishes, wes.

I walked Sevilla-Salamanca this May (2011). Plenty of people. You will not be alone unless you want to.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Besacier

I walked the Via de la Plata this year during April/early May. Like Alexwalker I found plenty of other pilgrims to keep me company. But unlike the Frances, In 95% of the albergues I was the only peregrino who had English as his native tongue.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Joe and I tried walking in August 2009 but tossed in the towel after 8 dangerously hot days.

For those of you who began in April.. how many days of rain would you say you had?
What was the weather like, generally?

I walked it October to mid-November 2010. Very few people for the first 10 days to Merida except when you'd least expect it a team of lycra'd cyclists would arrive after 7pm just when you were getting used to the idea of a quiet evening.
After Merida I walked regularly with seven or eight others ranging from 19 to 75 years old. Numbers picked up to around 12 in the public albergues approaching Salamanca.
Through Sanabria and into Galicia there were always from 4 to 15 pilgrims each night in the municipal albergues.
If solitude is what you are after then I hear the Portuguese option is the one to take!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Anniesantiago: You asked about the weather on the VdlP in April. Last year I left Seville on 20 April and walked to Caceres by 11 May. Light rain fell for a few hours during the evening of day two, in Castilblanco de los Arryos, otherwise it was always fine and sunny. Daytime temperatures were in the high-20s until about Villafranca de los Barros, after which they dropped to the low-20s. Evenings were mild. Close to perfect. Regards, wes.

Anniesantiago said:
For those of you who began in April.. how many days of rain would you say you had?
What was the weather like, generally?
We began April 20, 2011 from Merida and had 5 days of rain out of 10. Just managed to beat a few storms that came in the afternoon. The weather was cool, perfect for walking. Needed the rain coat and gaiters. It was great to follow the spring breaking as we walked north and all the beautiful wild flowers and fresh barley. We were in Merida and Caceres over Easter, wonderful to see the Semana Santa parades, but bus services were limited and accommodation was tight.
See my blog at http://mariannecamino.blogspot.com/2011/04/merida.html

In 2010 I started from Seville May 20 and hit a heat wave. It broke the day I stopped walking June 8 and it was cool and rainy for a few days.
I loved all of it, and usually had company.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back