• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Gibraltar

Time of past OR future Camino
December 2022
I’ll be starting VdP from Gibraltar and looking for advice on how to get to Gibraltar. Flights seem pretty easy ( from west coast US) but I’m curious how difficult it would be to fly to tangier and cross over by ferry. Anyone done it?

My primary concern is to not have layovers or travel days in Schengen countries. I fear I’ll need all my 90 days for Camino so would like to get to Gibraltar and have an easy start for walking.

Also thinking a few days in Morocco could help with the jet lag

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well, a few days in Tangier would definitely take your mind off jet lag 🤪 but the ferry goes to Algeciras. If you definitely want to step out from Gib rather than La Linea you’ll need to enter, leave and re-enter Schengen all in one day. Flights via the UK get you there, you’ll not get a direct flight, the runways to short

I'm not certain, but are there not some issues with the border crossing between Gibraltar and Spain, given the tension between the UK and Spain over Gibraltar? Might be best to do some research on the UK and Spanish government tourist information sites.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In June, Gibraltar wouldn't let me in from Spain with my U.S. passport. Long, complicated story, just be aware that Gibraltar might be fussy. Do your homework.

There are periodic spats around the border but given the hundreds, even thousands who live in La Linea or Algecira and work in Gib resolutions come quickly. The experience of non-Schengen non-UK passport holders can, obviously, vary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, a few days in Tangier would definitely take your mind off jet lag 🤪 but the ferry goes to Algeciras. If you definitely want to step out from Gib rather than La Linea you’ll need to enter, leave and re-enter Schengen all in one day. Flights via the UK get you there, you’ll not get a direct flight, the runways to short
There are direct flights from the UK to Gibraltar from both Heathrow and Birmingham. Ther are direct flights US Newark NJ to Birmingham (BHX) The UK is not in the Schengen area.

I used to use the Gibraltar to Morocco ferry back in the days when the Gibraltar - Spanish border was closed. However this boat no longer runs anymore. Unless you can hitch a lift on the water tanker that tops up Gibs' reservoir. You would be limited to a ferry going to La Linea/Algeciras. However there are local buses that take you within a few hundred metres of the boarder. which you could cross on foot.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wow 😮

Guess I didn’t know what I was asking? I thought Gibraltar was just a rock on the coast of Spain and I imagined it would be good to start Camino on top of that rock.

Guess I was wrong. Is it really that hard to cross from Gibraltar into Spain?

Guess I’ll do more research but for now looks like La Linea will be my start point…..

So…. How do I get to La Linea from the US?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Guess I was wrong. Is it really that hard to cross from Gibraltar into Spain?
You can watch the Gibraltar border webcams: https://www.frontierqueue.gi . At the time of writing (August 2023, Sunday morning) there is little traffic, whether car, bikes or on foot, and no queues or disturbances.

Gibraltar and their relationship with the European Union/Schengen area was excluded from the Brexit negotiations. Hence the Spanish government and the British government are still haggling over it. A main issue is who will control passports in the near future, i.e. which kind of uniforms they will be wearing and on which spot exactly their booths will be placed (mainly for the Gibraltar air border = line in or near the international airport building).

If you want to start from Gibraltar you have to decide whether a) you enter Gibraltar by air from outside Schengen or b) you enter Gibraltar on land from Spain, and then in both cases a) and b) you then enter Spain/Schengen area on land to start Camino walking properly. It may make a difference to the little stamps in your passport but I don't even know what their current practice is. Presumably nobody on this forum knows. Ignore speculation and stories from long ago.

I don't understand why @Kathy F. had an issue with her US passport. I assume that it was a recent event - this year? But then she says it is a long story.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Strictly speaking of course, if you walk from La Linea, walk over the border to Gibraltar and walk back over the border again, you started your Camino walking in Spain. 😇

These Camino starting points are sometimes difficult to justify and artificially constructed concepts. 😶

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would they let me enter from a flight arriving from the UK?
Yes. Strictly speaking they have no interest on how you got to Gibraltar. Their only concern is that you are eligible to enter Schengen. As a citizen of the USA (?) you qualify for the Schengen visa waiver assuming you have not previously blotted your copybook.
On my latest entry, 2022, to Gib, on foot, from Spain my passport was checked, and stamped by Spanish Border Control. I and my UK passport were completely ignored by what I assume was a Gibraltese official. The following day, walking into La Linea for lunch I was duly stamped into Schengen and a few hours later stamped out again.

(Long story deleted)

Non-EU citizens report that their passports did receive Schengen exit stamps and Schengen entry stamps from the Spanish border control staff at the Spain/Gibraltar land border.

@Willdtrout, since your 90/180 days balance is important to you: Are you planning to spend the night in Gibraltar? In this case your Schengen exit/entry stamps would have different dates. Would it make any difference to your 90/180 days balance if you stayed only one night in Gibraltar? No, it would not !!!

Even if you enter Gibraltar from Spain very early in the morning and leave Gibraltar for Spain very late in the evening of the next day, i.e. you spent nearly two full days in Gibraltar, under Schengen law you will be considered as having spent these two days in the Schengen area (and not in Gibraltar) because the date of your stamp is counted as a full day in Schengen.

Last edited:
When I walked across the border last year with a non-EU passport, I was stamped out (and back in) by Spain, but on the Gibraltar side they told me to go to the tourist office if I wanted a stamp. So I did!

IMG_5008.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked across the border last year with a non-EU passport, I was stamped out (and back in) by Spain, but on the Gibraltar side they told me to go to the tourist office if I wanted a stamp. So I did!
View attachment 154883
I just deleted a long copy-pasted quote from a Gibraltar Message Board because I felt it was too long and not relevant enough. I am posting a shorter quote again about this Gibraltar stamp because US passport holders ought to pay attention to it ;):

an information office near main street can give an unofficial souvenir stamp which says "Thank you for visiting the rock of Gibraltar". That unofficial stamp is related to just the rock and not the territory. In some countries such unofficial stamps can even cause serious problems such as invalidating the passport (especially the USA can be strict with that).
The camino credencial might be a better place for this kind of stamp. 😊

Last edited:
You can watch the Gibraltar border webcams: https://www.frontierqueue.gi . At the time of writing (August 2023, Sunday morning) there is little traffic, whether car, bikes or on foot, and no queues or disturbances.

Gibraltar and their relationship with the European Union/Schengen area was excluded from the Brexit negotiations. Hence the Spanish government and the British government are still haggling over it. A main issue is who will control passports in the near future, i.e. which kind of uniforms they will be wearing and on which spot exactly their booths will be placed (mainly for the Gibraltar air border = line in or near the international airport building).

If you want to start from Gibraltar you have to decide whether a) you enter Gibraltar by air from outside Schengen or b) you enter Gibraltar on land from Spain, and then in both cases a) and b) you then enter Spain/Schengen area on land to start Camino walking properly. It may make a difference to the little stamps in your passport but I don't even know what their current practice is. Presumably nobody on this forum knows. Ignore speculation and stories from long ago.

I don't understand why @Kathy F. had an issue with her US passport. I assume that it was a recent event - this year? But then she says it is a long story.

Buen Camino!
Yes. It happened in June 2023.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey wildtrout, I walked from Gibraltar to Santiago earlier this year. Was more than bit surprised how hot it got up in the mountains near Olivera but also how much I would come to miss the peace of it all when I got to Orense. Good on you for going this route! Would 100% go again but probably in a few more years an earlier on in spring.

My trip was through UK for ease. I flew from Australia a on my British Passport to Gatwick. Then an easyJet to Gibraltar for all of ½ an hour before I crossed the border into Spain on my British Passport. For the next 3 days I based myself at Hostal La Campana. Theres probably better place or cheaper but for me it was a winner as it had access to the laundry and pizza place next door was a great! bonus is its really not far to the kick of point too.

I was a bit of a tourist in Gibraltar and walked the rock etc. I didn’t really see why the town it gets such a bad wrap but everyone has their own opinion. My warnings would be over the Spanish steps and taking some more water. Don’t let people discourage you on what to and not to see on your own way. I didn’t visit any chapels in Gibraltar and my first sello was Parroquia Santiago Apóstol.

I’d kill to try Tangiers and come across but you may have a better time using rome to rio and seeing if there is a bus service to Ceuta. From there its a nice fast ferry service to Algerciras. From the port there its a short walk to the auto bus station to head over to La Linea.

Anyway here if you want to talk

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back