• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Pamplona from Paris, France

srosa

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2013)
Hello!! I'm going to walk my first camino this June 2013 and flying into Paris. Due to time constraints in order to finish the camino in the time I have I think it's best to just start in Pamplona.

Any and all recommendations for the best/cheapest way to get there would be much appreciated!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The bus four days a week:
Paris Gallieni Pamplona 14:44 02:59 12h 15min 83.00€ (abre en nueva ventana) S
Paris Gallieni Pamplona 18:00 08:15 14h 15min 91.39€ M J S
Paris Gallieni Pamplona 18:00 08:15 14h 15min 91.39€ (abre en nueva ventana) M J S
Paris Gallieni Pamplona 20:15 10:00 13h 45min 91.39€ (abre en nueva ventana) V
Trains do not go from France to Spain except through Irun. It comes mostly from an old fear by Spain of a French invasion!

Fastest will be to fly. Try RyanAir, but read the fine print before buying a ticket.

Srosa:

In my PM I recommend you fly into Madrid or Barcelona. Still my recommendation if you have not purchased your ticket to Paris.

That said, If you have to come from Paris, I believe there is a TGV train Paris to San Sebastian/Irun. From there you can get RENFE train or a bus to Pamplona.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
SNCF shows some trains:
14h28 De la gare de : PARIS MONTPARNASSE 1 ET 2

Transporteur : TGV

Numéro du train : 8541

Confort 2e classe

PĂ©riode PĂ©riode normale

Arrivée à : 20h21

A la gare de : IRUN GARE
62.00 €
Plus de détails
Conditions tarifaires : Loisir réduit : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'à la veille du départ, avec retenue de 10 euros le jour du départ, non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.

93.00 €
Plus de détails
Conditions tarifaires : TGV PRO 2nde : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'au départ. Sous conditions après départ.

07h28 14h28 21h54 22h57
A partir de 81.00 € 88.00 € 109.50 € 122.70 €
Durée 05h53 Direct 05h53 Direct 11h07 Direct 13h03 2 corresp.
Voyagez avec TGV TGV INTERCITÉS de nuit INTERCITÉS de nuit TGV

Wow, falcon269, your posts are so informative and helpful.
As for Paris, srosa, if you need an inexpensive place to stay, there is a terrific hostal owned by the French govt: Maubuisson on rue des Barres (tel. 33142742345). It is just across the river from ile st Louis and very close to the Tour de St Jacques. ...also close to the metro and the bus stop the goes to Montparnasse.

For train travel in Europe...especially if you are not from Europe...check out http://www.seat61.com for tips and tricks. Lots of good info on this site will save you money.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Consider flying into Barcelona and taking the bus to Pamplona. Quite easy.

Paris-Biarits by plane, train to Pamplona
What is your schedule? when will you arrive to Paris? leave from Spain? where in Spain? How mamy walking days planned?

I took a sleeper train to Irun (75 Euro) and then a bus that was immediately available outside of the station heading directly to Pamplona. I think I paid 4 or 5 Euro for that. Left Paris at 11pm arrived In Pamplona by 9 am. Plus, the added bonus of not having to pay for one night of hotel in Paris.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
ALSA four days a week; it goes through Irun:
Bayona Pamplona 04:15 08:15 4h 00min 78.39€ Bayona - Pamplona - 04:15 (abre en nueva ventana) X V D
Bayona Pamplona 06:15 10:00 3h 45min 78.39€ Bayona - Pamplona - 06:15 (abre en nueva ventana) S

[/quote]Trains do not go from France to Spain except through Irun. It comes mostly from an old fear by Spain of a French invasion!
Fastest will be to fly. Try RyanAir, but read the fine print before buying a ticket.[/quote]

A totally misleading comment.

Trains run from all over France into spain

Trains cross from France only at Irun and on the Mediterranean coast. The line across the Somport Pass has been closed for decades. James A Michener attributed the lack of crossings to Spanish paranoia that France would be more likely to invade if there were more routes! The station at Canfranc was the largest in Europe, but now is a rotting hulk except for the parts that have been restored. The only train to Canfranc is from Zaragoza, Spain. There is nothing from France anymore.
Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has promised that the Barcelona to Paris high-speed train route will be operational by April 2013, according to an article in La Vanguardia.

All that is required is for the Spanish end of the high-speed train line to be put into place. The exact journey duration has not yet been unveiled, but with existing trains from Paris to Perpignan, the French part of the route, taking under five hours, it would seem that the 1,000km journey from Paris to Barcelona should take around six. That's city center to city center, with no need for extended check-in times or getting to out-of-town transport hubs, and no hand baggage restrictions or surly customs guards.

The new train line will also stop in Figueres, home to the Salvador Dali Museum.

Spain has the most high-speed train services in Europe. The AVE, as it is called, for many years only ran from Madrid to Seville, but has since expanded to Madrid to Barcelona, Madrid to Malaga and a few minor routes around the country.

Votre choix de voyage

LYON FIGUERAS

1 Passager

Montant: 189.40 €

Date du trajet :
17 Janvier 2013

Aller :

DĂ©part Ă  :
14h36

De la gare de :
LYON PART DIEU

Arrivé à :
15h10

Ă€ la gare de :
VALENCE GARE TGV

Transporteur

Transporteur :

Numéro du train :

Services Ă  bord :

Confort
1e classe

DĂ©part Ă  :
16h22

De la gare de :
VALENCE GARE TGV

Arrivé à :
19h40

Ă€ la gare de :
FIGUERES VILAFANT

Transporteur

Transporteur :

Numéro du train :

Services Ă  bord :

Confort
1e classe

1er Passager

(26 Ă  59 ans)

Loisir réduit : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'à la veille du départ, avec retenue de 10 euros le jour du départ, non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.
Assurances Ă©ligibles :

Voiture 12 - Place 41

Place isolée

Solo

Loisir/Economica : Billet échangeable et remboursable avec une retenue de 10% avant le départ. Non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.
Assurances Ă©ligibles :

Voiture 13 - Place 101

Salle haute - Place isolée

Solo

Date du trajet :
20 Janvier 2013

Retour :

DĂ©part Ă  :
10h20

De la gare de :
FIGUERES VILAFANT

Arrivé à :
12h49

Ă€ la gare de :
NIMES

Transporteur

Transporteur :

Numéro du train :

Services Ă  bord :

Confort
2e classe

DĂ©part Ă  :
13h29

De la gare de :
NIMES

Arrivé à :
14h50

Ă€ la gare de :
LYON PART DIEU

Transporteur

Transporteur :

Numéro du train :

Services Ă  bord :

Confort
2e classe

1er Passager

(26 Ă  59 ans)

FLEXIBLE : Billet échangeable et remboursable sans frais avant le départ. Billet non échangeable et non remboursable après départ.
Assurances Ă©ligibles :

Voiture 16 - Place 85

Salle haute - Couloir

Duo cĂ´te Ă  cĂ´te

TGV PRO 2nde : Service d'échange et de remboursement gratuit jusqu'au départ. Sous conditions après départ.
Assurances Ă©ligibles :

Voiture 17 - Place 21

Salle basse - Couloir

Duo cĂ´te Ă  cĂ´te

Assurance:

Voyage: Vos frais remboursés en cas d'attente de + 30 mn ou de bagages volés.

Montant: 3.80 €

Oui Non

Supprimer

DĂ©tail

TOTAL Assurances

0 €

TOTAL

189.40 €

Seriously, unless you HAVE to go to Paris-- the simplest way to do this is from Barcelona. The bus Barcelona-Pamplona is about 4 hours and 21 Euros.

ncali12 said:
Wow, falcon269, your posts are so informative and helpful.
As for Paris, srosa, if you need an inexpensive place to stay, there is a terrific hostal owned by the French govt: Maubuisson on rue des Barres (tel. 33142742345). It is just across the river from ile st Louis and very close to the Tour de St Jacques. ...also close to the metro and the bus stop the goes to Montparnasse.

Thank you for this! I was indeed wanting to stay at least one day in Paris to check it out :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I travel to Pamplona from Paris 2 or 3 times a year so if you are going to fly into Paris then here is the best way to get to Pamplona: The train.

Take a train from Paris, most likely a TGV (fast) train or alternatively an overnight train (slow). The cheapest price will be around €26 one-way but depending on your dates and how early you buy the ticket it may go well over €100. Buy early.

Buy a ticket from Paris to Hendaye (the last French town before Spain) From Hendaye you can take the Euskotren (€1.75 and 40min) to San Sebastian and from there a bus to Pamplona (€7 and 1 hour). Forget about flying, airports, lines and all that. Forget about buses from Paris.

The Euskotren is located just outside the Hendaye train station. You can't miss it. Once you get off in San Sebastian you will need to walk about 15 minutes to the bus station and buy your ticket. Piece of cake!

So, in addition to your train ticket you will only have to spend about €10 more to get to Pamplona from Hendaye.

I do not by any means recommend relying on any trains from Irun to Pamplona. They are unreliable and notoriously late. And not all French TGV trains go to Irun. Most stop in Hendaye and that's it. Some will, however, go on to Irun but will be much more expensive than the ones that just stop in Hendaye.

Someone else posted a train journey from the Gare de Lyon down to Figueres and then on to Barcelona and then on to Pamplona. Forget it. Don't even consider it, that is far too long and far too expensive. I've done it.

If you need more info let me know, I've been doing this route for about 18 years and know it well.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back