• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Paris to Pamplona

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
My brother-and-sister-in-law will be arriving in Paris at 9:30pm in mid May after a necessarily long flight from New Zealand. Due to the fact that he is recovering from cancer and has just had open heart surgery three months ago, they have decided to start their camino in Pamplona (most of the threads in this section are about getting to SJPdP). Rome2rio suggests a number of options....just wondering if anyone has real experience that might be useful in helping them decide. They are thinking a night in Paris is probably a good idea, then they'd like the most straightforward (and hopefully cheapest) option. Interestingly some of the Rome2rio routes suggested turn out to be not so helpful because when you click through to the bus service it says there isn't one. Any suggestions?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My brother-and-sister-in-law will be arriving in Paris at 9:30pm in mid May after a necessarily long flight from New Zealand. Due to the fact that he is recovering from cancer and has just had open heart surgery three months ago, they have decided to start their camino in Pamplona (most of the threads in this section are about getting to SJPdP). Rome2rio suggests a number of options....just wondering if anyone has real experience that might be useful in helping them decide. They are thinking a night in Paris is probably a good idea, then they'd like the most straightforward (and hopefully cheapest) option. Interestingly some of the Rome2rio routes suggested turn out to be not so helpful because when you click through to the bus service it says there isn't one. Any suggestions?
Just did this about three weeks ago - EASY! I arrived at Orly, and took Orly Bus to Denfert-Rochereau and stayed three nights at the Hotel Du Lion (that spelling), just around the corner on Ave General LeClerc. Took the train from Montparnasse to Hendaye, crossed the border and got the Euskotren to San Sebastian, and an Alsa Bus to Pamplona. If one is over 60, one can get a Carte Avantage Sénior 60 on line (French train) and take an inOui train - I got the 10.11 train that got to Hendaye at 14.49. The bus station and Euskotren stations (in San Seb.) are about a 15 minute walk apart, and a bus leaves about a half hour after that train gets you to San Seb. Let me know if you need more info.

Wondering why they didn't elect to fly to Madrid? Connections to Pamplona are more direct from there? Could add that on to their Paris leg. Then plane, train, bus to Pamplona.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just did this about three weeks ago - EASY! I arrived at Orly, and took Orly Bus to Denfert-Rochereau and stayed three nights at the Hotel Du Lion (that spelling), just around the corner on Ave General LeClerc. Took the train from Montparnasse to Hendaye, crossed the border and got the Euskotren to San Sebastian, and an Alsa Bus to Pamplona. If one is over 60, one can get a Carte Avantage Sénior 60 on line (French train) and take an inOui train - I got the 10.11 train that got to Hendaye at 14.49. The bus station and Euskotren stations (in San Seb.) are about a 15 minute walk apart, and a bus leaves about a half hour after that train gets you to San Seb. Let me know if you need more info.
I second this advice as I did the same a few years ago.

Wondering why they didn't elect to fly to Madrid? Connections to Pamplona are more direct from there? Could add that on to their Paris leg. Then plane, train, bus to Pamplona.
They got an amazing special on Auckland to Paris and figured they would work out the details later. We could look at a flight to Madrid from Paris - I didn’t think of that. Thanks.
You could try FLIXBUS. I think they have Direct buses from Paris to Pamplona with departures late evening and arrivals in the mornings around 10AM. They are relatively cheap with about 60 euros one way. Comfortable as well.
How comfortable? (Seriously) After 36 hours flying and with compromised health, it would need to be more like a bed than a bus!!!

@OTH86 thanks for your details. They fly in to CDG but your info will still be helpful to them. Did you book your tickets in advance?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They got an amazing special on Auckland to Paris and figured they would work out the details later. We could look at a flight to Madrid from Paris - I didn’t think of that. Thanks.

How comfortable? (Seriously) After 36 hours flying and with compromised health, it would need to be more like a bed than a bus!!!

@OTH86 thanks for your details. They fly in to CDG but your info will still be helpful to them. Did you book your tickets in advance?
then take the TGV to Irun and then the train or bus to Pamplon!

@Tincatinker they were going to have three or four days in Paris at the start of their trip, but because they are leaving later than they had hoped (because of the cheap flight), they want to get walking ASAP to avoid the heat. Instead, they are having a week at the end (and a week on a Greek island)! WIN WIN WIN for them.
In case anyone else reads this thread, the "fly to Madrid and bus from the airport to Pamplona" turned out to be the cheapest option (but other factors may influence your own decision)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I booked the train from Montparnasse to Hendaye on-line using my senior discount on SNCF a few days before my departure from the US. The Euskotren can be paid for at an easy-to-use machine at the station in Spain - a short walk across the border. The Alsa bus ticket I got shortly before the bus left San Sebastian - from a machine in the station that was also easy to use - with locals helping! One can use credit card or cash... I used cc.

Does anyone know? but isn't there a bus from CDG to city center - similar to Orly bus - I find those (almost) direct buses easier to navigate than the metro over that distance - but ymmv...

Does anyone know? but isn't there a bus from CDG to city center - similar to Orly bus - I find those (almost) direct buses easier to navigate than the metro over that distance - but ymmv...

RoissyBus goes from CDG to Opera. I've never tried Orly bus but would like to someday. It's been years but Orly airport is faster and more manageable than CDG in my experience. Anyway, I would highly recommend RoissyBus - nothing but good experiences.

I was going in the opposite direction, but took a bus to Pamplona with a change in San Sebastián, to Biarritz, and then flew AirFrance's low-cost airline, Transavia, to Paris.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I booked the train from Montparnasse to Hendaye on-line using my senior discount on SNCF a few days before my departure from the US. The Euskotren can be paid for at an easy-to-use machine at the station in Spain - a short walk across the border. The Alsa bus ticket I got shortly before the bus left San Sebastian - from a machine in the station that was also easy to use - with locals helping! One can use credit card or cash... I used cc.

I always take the train from CDG to Paris - get off at Gare du Nord or further on, depending on where my accommodation is.

I always take the train from CDG to Paris - get off at Gare du Nord or further on, depending on where my accommodation is.
Ahh, yes the train - not Metro - would be better - does it go - eventually - to Gare Montparnasse - for the trip south? I think I still like staying near Denfret Rochereau, and walking to Montparnasse via the delightful Rue Daguerre!! - only about a km's walk...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ahh, yes the train - not Metro - would be better - does it go - eventually - to Gare Montparnasse - for the trip south? I think I still like staying near Denfret Rochereau, and walking to Montparnasse via the delightful Rue Daguerre!! - only about a km's walk...
According to my map it has a stop at Denfert-Rocherau (5 stops after Gare du Nord).

I suggest they factor at least two nights in Paris. A visit to the musee rodin and an hour or two spent with Ugolino and his children helps put the whole world in perspective

The transport logistics have been covered above. Train to Irun bus to Pamplona would be my choice but I could never be in a rush to leave Paris
Apart from anything else, I second the Rodin suggestion. It is connected to my past in a strange way!

What transport did they decide from Paris??? I need to get to SJPP 30 April. cheers Al

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back