• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPDP

astonjd

I was hoping to start from St Jean on Wed 13 Sept and have already booked a place at Orisson that night (I know I would struggle with getting to Roncesvalles in one day).

The plan was to get the 5.20 am Eurostar to Paris, then train to Bayonne and onward to St Jean. However, the 10.10am direct train to Bayonne seems to have been axed and, try as I might, I cannot find any way of getting from Paris to St Jean in one day. The last train from Bayonne leaves at 18.11 while I cannot get to Bayonne earlier than 18.29. According to RailEurope, anyway.

If I stopped in Bayonne Tuesday night and caught the 8.18 to St Jean the next day, would that leave enough time to get my pass then get to Orisson that evening? I am 56 and inexperienced but not completely unfit.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Joanne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes.

But you might be reassured to know - if you don't already - that Orisson is only 8km from SJPP. Though it is a steep climb you should make it quite comfortably. Even if you are down to 2kmm per hour you should be there around 4 hours, 5 if you need to catch your breath.

It means you will not see much of SJPP but that sometimes happens even if people arrive on the 18.00 train out of Bayonne.

I would phone Orisson on the Tuesday and confirm you will be there on the Wednesday.

You don't say where you are starting but check both Easyjet and Ryanair to see if you can fly to Biaritz. There is a bus that goes from the airport direct to Bayonne station. It only takes about half an hour.

Welcome to the Forum, Joanne!

You are right about the trains - the last train from Bayonne leaves at 18.11 the 12th of September. Sometimes there is a train leaving Baonne at 21.09 takes you to SJPP at 22.29. But not the 12th of Sept. I checked the sncf- site. Maybe there is a bus replacing the last train...If you arrive at 22.29 you have to have a booking - the albergues are closed that late.

Even if you are a very slow walker you can walk from SJPP to Orisson even if you spent the first night in Bayonne. If you walk 2 K per hour it takes 4 hours. So you could stop in Bayonne for the first night and walk to Orisson the day after. You have to be in Orisson latest maybe at 18 just before the pilgrim dinner starts.

It is about 8k from SJPP to Orisson.It is pretty steep all the way but very nice scenary and landscape. It is a good idea walking to Orisson and spending the first night there.You can walk in your pace and take many breaks, bring some picnic and drinking water with you. Rushing the first days gives many pilgrims injuries,blisters and pain.

On the other hand most pilgrims walk all the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles, some in 6 hours others in 11 hours.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Joanne:

Not sure where you are starting from but flying into Biarritz might be another option. Then you can take a cab or bus to Bayonne and the train from there to SJPdP. This will allow you to spend a little time in SJPdP.

As others have stated the hike to Orisson is only 8K but very steep.

Pack light, start slow and the Camino will take care of the rest.

Ultreya,
Joe

Many thanks for the advice and the welcome. Flights aren't really an option as I live in the (far) north of England and the nearer airports don't fly to Biarritz on the day I start. But I do feel reassured that arriving in St Jean mid morning will still leave me time to make Orisson that evening, even though I won't be able to mooch around the town first.

Joanne:

Not sure where you are in relation to Stansted but they have a daily flight leaving at 12:15 to Biarritz for abound 30 pounds. You would arrive at around 15:15 with plenty of time to get to SJPdP.

Joe

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can you get to by flight Bordeuax, one stop north of Bayonne?

But I do feel reassured that arriving in St Jean mid morning will still leave me time to make Orisson that evening, even though I won't be able to mooch around the town first.
There is not a lot to see in St. Jean. It is a quaint town for an overnight stay, but not a town with a lot of sights. Visit the Pilgrim Office. Have a meal. See the Citadel and church. Head up the mountain. You will be in Orisson three or four hours later. If you run out of steam, there is Hountto an hour before Orisson.

Thanks again folks, but I had been really looking forward to Eurostar an TGV. I've more or less decided on train to King's Cross, Eurostar to Gare du Nord, Montparnasse to Bayonne and an overnight stay there. I think the worst part will be getting from Gare du Nord to Gare Montparnasse. At least I hadn't already booked the now-defunct 10.10.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think the worst part will be getting from Gare du Nord to Gare Montparnasse.

Did it both ways in 2004 no problems whatsoever. Just take a little care on the Metro by having valuables on a belt or in pouch round your neck (shirt fully done up) and you'll be fine.

The train journey south was wonderful.

Hi there, we managed to get tickets from Montparnasse (Paris) on the 10.10 am
arriving at st jpp @ 16.23pm.

It is on TVG and changing @ Bayonne to TER.

we bought the tickets on line and printed out the tickets.... not sure what you mean by defunct??

cheers juju

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
jujuaway said:

we bought the tickets on line and printed out the tickets.... not sure what you mean by defunct??

cheers juju

Hi!
What is your date of travel?
TGV 10.10 am Paris Bayonne is possible on certain days only.
As for Bayonne SJPdP, what is your train number? I am not sure there is a train arriving at the time you stated.
Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Could a Pamplona arrival be considered? I used Express Bouricot van service from the bus station in Pamplona to SJPDP; 16 Euros. This could not been easier.

There is not a lot to see in St. Jean. It is a quaint town for an overnight stay, but not a town with a lot of sights. Visit the Pilgrim Office. Have a meal. See the Citadel and church. Head up the mountain. You will be in Orisson three or four hours later. If you run out of steam, there is Hountto an hour before Orisson.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!?????? :shock: SJPDP is a very picturesque, historical, very walkable town with DEFINITELY plenty to explore on its own. Is it a week-worth stay? Probably not, but most certainly I would had kicked myself if I had missed on The Citadelle, the Museum (old Jail), the Church, the Roman Bridge, the fortified walls, walking down the cobblestone streets taking in the beauty of its ancient layout....if you are only going as far as Orisson on the first day then you definitely have time to explore the wonderful sights at SJPDP.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I intend to spend a full day pottering around SJPP; seems a town full of sensory pleasures and delights! Appears some pilgrims are simply ready and eager to begin walking the trail, however.
The flight from Orly to Biarritz was the same price as the train (including the coach from CDG) and so I decided to take this option. This is what gives me the chance to stay overnight in Bayonne or even two nights in SJPP -depending whether I can find other pilgrims on the afternoon of September 7th to share a cab ride from Biarritz to SJP. I have also put my name down on http://www.expressbourricot.com. This may be an option for you as well.
I have heard the train ride is really visually beautiful and may also give you the opportunity for rest. Indeed...All the amazing options available along El Camino....

Hope I haven't panicked you juju - looks like the 10.10 is weekends only and I can't leave home before the Monday. I'm sure I'll enjoy a night in Bayonne

Hurray think I've cracked it. Discovered that, if you book via Eurostar site from St Pancras to Bordeaux, not only is this cheaper than Eurostar to Gare du Nord then Montparnasse to Bordeaux, it gets you to Bordeaux in time to get the last train from Bayonne to St Jean. Well - just - only 5 mins in Bordeaux but I'll either make it or I won't, in which case it's back to Plan A and a night in Bayonne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
jujuaway said:

cheers juju

Hello, I'm coming from Canada and arrive Paris CDG at 6:40 am on Sept 22 and am trying to find the easiest way to get to St Jean PdP on that day. Can't seem to make it work from CDG.
Is it hard to get from CDG to Montparnasse? Is it possible to make the 10:10 departure?

Thanks

jujuaway said:

cheers juju

Hello, I'm coming from Canada and arrive Paris CDG at 6:40 am on Sept 22 and am trying to find the easiest way to get to St Jean PdP on that day. Can't seem to make it work from CDG.
Is it hard to get from CDG to Montparnasse? Is it possible to make the 10:10 departure?

Thanks

I often wonder why people choose to take 15 trains and 3 buses :lol: to get to SJPDP when it is so incredibly easy to fly into Barcelona or Pamplona and van ride to SJPDP.... :roll:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
efdoucette said:

Thanks

No train from CDG on 22 Sept.

To go to Montparnasse from CDG, the easiest way is with Cars Air France Line 4. See instructions and prices here:

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/fr-F ... france.htm

You have ample time to make it.

Bon voyage,
Jean-Marc

In 1998 it was all so easy.

I lived in London and the only way that I could get to SJPP was Eurostar to Paris. TGV to Bordeux, train to Bayonne and then to SJPP.

There were no budget airlines offering an "easier" alternative.

We left at 3.00 GMT and got with no problems to SJPP at 18.00 CET.

No airport security, no desperate pre-booking of albergues, no worries about whether we could get to Orisson on time. It was another 6 years before it opened. No panic in case we "lost" a day.

Now there seems to be more hassle getting to SJPP than walking the whole of the Camino.

Where has it all gone wrong? :cry:

Olivares said:
I often wonder why people choose to take 15 trains and 3 buses :lol: to get to SJPDP when it is so incredibly easy to fly into Barcelona or Pamplona and van ride to SJPDP.... :roll:

I think expense has a lot to do with it. Most Pilgrims are on a tight budget. Flying to Pamplona is expensive as you first have to get to Barcelona or Madrid.

Vueling fly from LHR to Bilbao for a decent rate but you must book ahead to secure a good price - then it is a bus to Pamplona for less than 15 Euros. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
RENSHAW-- makes sense if that would be the case. From where I fly out from it is often cheaper to fly into BCN. That said, it is also cheap to fly into LHR so I will evaluate Bilbao. To me, time is also money so I would have to factored in that as well.

Easyjet fly Barcelona from Liverpool, but it is not an easy city to get into from outside Europe.

Olivares said:

I'm not sure where you live, but for those of us coming from the West Coast of the United States, you fly to wherever it is cheapest and in some cases, this is Paris or Amsterdam or Barcelona or Madrid.....for me, I watch fares through Airfare Watchdog and Kayak and make my decision there. I got RT airfare from PDX to MAD in mid-October this year for $750. We will be traveling by train from Madrid to Burgos, then bus to Santo Domingo de la Calzada where we will be serving as hospitaleros. It would have cost over $1200 for that same time period to fly into Bilbao or one of the other local regional airports closer to SDdlC. I'm quite looking forward to the train ride and getting to see another part of Spain.

Last year, I flew into Paris, spent a night there with a friend of a friend, then train to Bayonne, couchsurfed with some lovely people, then bus to SJPdP (the train was still under repair then) and I am glad I took my time getting there. It allowed me to deal with jet lag before hitting the Camino. Sometimes, it's about the journey and not necessarily getting to the destination right away.... :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I agree with Olivares in that there is quite a bit to see in SJPP. Anyone missing the Pilgrim's Museum is missing a wonderful beginning to their Camino! And the fort, and the bridge, and the street performers, and the Pilgrim's mass ... just the town itself is lovely. But each person chooses for themselves. It seems to me you are saying you will catch an 8 AM train to SJPP? In that case, you have more than enough time to get your passport and walk to Orisson.

Buen Camino!

[quote

Santo Domingo de la Calzada where we will be serving as hospitaleros. [/quote]

Spending a heap of cash and Volunteering as a Hospitalero - you are a fine example - well done!
So often we have no idea how much Hospitaleros contribute to the Camino .
This inspires me . I have done the HOSVOL course so I must do something about giving my bit back to the Camino that has provided for me over the past years.

There is zero chance that it would be cheaper or even convenient for me to fly to Paris to then find my way down to SJPDP. From the Northeast USA the best I can do as far as cheaper and quicker is either fly into Madrid, BCN, or Bilbao. I even looked a previous suggestions of flying into London or Manchester and use an Intra-Europe (i.e. EasyJet) to get closer...nope...it is nowhere near cheaper, either. So far, my best bet remains to fly into Bilbao. I have never paid more than $650 to get to Europe from the Northeast USA (shoulder to High season) and I watch the rates like a hawk :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No train from CDG on 22 Sept.
The SNCF site, like the French themselves, is sometimes balky. For September 22, 2011, there is a train from CDG through Bordeaux and Dax to Bayonne at:

Jeudi 22/09 07h40 CHARLES DE GAULLE 2 TGV
11h56 > 12h17 via BORDEAUX ST JEAN
Période normale Durée : 06h32
13h33 > 13h38 via DAX GARE
14h12 BAYONNE
Jeudi 22/09

15h05 BAYONNE
16h23 ST JEAN PIED DE PORT
Durée : 01h18
Jeudi 22/09

You can currently book each segment individually, even though the SNCF computer is not doing it for you.

Olivares said:
There is zero chance that it would be cheaper or even convenient for me to fly to Paris to then find my way down to SJPDP. From the Northeast USA the best I can do as far as cheaper and quicker is either fly into Madrid, BCN, or Bilbao. I even looked a previous suggestions of flying into London or Manchester and use an Intra-Europe (i.e. EasyJet) to get closer...nope...it is nowhere near cheaper, either. So far, my best bet remains to fly into Bilbao. I have never paid more than $650 to get to Europe from the Northeast USA (shoulder to High season) and I watch the rates like a hawk :D

Yeah, you are lucky living in the NE. The rest of us poor suckers have to deal with higher fares and less options. Now, if you want to talk about cheap airfare to Hawaii or Japan....we have great deals from the Left Coast!

I don't know what my ticket to Paris cost last year because it was part of a RTW ticket I bought. I paid $2200 for circumnavigating the globe (PDX to CDG, FCO to BUD, BUD to TLV, TLV to DEL, DEL to BKK, BKK to FUK, and FUK to PDX). The last time I flew to Europe before that was in 2003 and we paid $850 RT from PDX to FCO on Lufthansa. So, I think $750 on American (not excited about that) is pretty darn good from where I live. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
falcon269 said:
PDX to MAD in mid-October this year for $750
For 5,413 miles that isn't bad - under $.14 per mile.
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=pdx- ... MAP-STYLE=

Why do you think I bought it?! :) We had been watching fares for weeks and it had been hovering around $1000. My sister and I had made a decision we were going to wait until Tuesday to buy the tickets, hoping they would drop. Well, they dropped on the Sunday before our deadline and we bought them right then!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back