• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPdP

Tiff

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking the Camino Frances July-August 2014
Hi, I'm in the process of planning my first Camino and am unsure of the best flight to get from London to Biarritz. I can either get into Biarritz at 15:15 then get the bus to Bayonne then train onto SJPdP, however I imagine that I will get into SJPdP fairly late and that it will therefore be harder to find space in an Albergue.
Alternatively I can get into Biarritz at 21:10 and stay overnight in a hostel/hotel then be able to get into SJPdP early the next day.
In your experienced opinion, which option is the best?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1. The Pilgrim Office stays open till after the last train arrives. They will know where to find a bed.

2. Make a reservation for a single room in SJPdP.

I guess it depends on when you go ... I went late October and booked a room because I needed to deal with 10 hours worth of time difference and jet lag ... a fellow on the same train trusted to luck and got a bed in an Albergue where there was lots of space.

Si yo fuera tu ... take the 15:15 and go to SJPdP. Your decision on whether to book a room or not.

If your plan is to walk the next day ... its a long walk to Roncesvalles and you will want to start early.

The combination of Eurostar to Paris, night train to Bayonne, local train Bayonne to StJd'P gets you to the pilgrim office in plenty of time to walk to Valcarlos or Orrison depending on your bent. It also avoids the pleasures of airport security, offers the opportunity to experience Albergue life in your 6 berth couchette and, in my opinion, feels like the start of a journey rather than a vacation.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I took that plane and bus and train arriving late in the day. It was fine and at that time I did find a place to stay, if I were doing it again from St Jean I would reserve a bed. Last year, for the first time, I delayed beginning to walk for one day to recover from jet lag. It made the first few days on the trail much easier.

As Tincatinker suggests a good solution is the overnight train which leaves
from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with a morning TER line 62 regional train to SJPdP. For years this overnight train has departed Paris nightly at 21h54

21h54/ PARIS AUSTERLITZ/ Arrivée à : 08h34 BAYONNE/ Numéro du train :4053

You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French National Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/. Booking in advance will save you money. Last October booked in advance I traveled in a 4 couchette first class compartment for 60 euros.

Margaret Meredith

Thanks guys :)
I'll definitely check out the via Paris option but I think flying in at 15:15 sounds like my best option.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Pilgrim Office stays open until after the last train arrives, and they will help you find a bed. Even better, reserve a bed; L'Esprit du Chemin is a good one. It is just a few feet from the Pilgrim Office.

Hi, I'm in the process of planning my first Camino and am unsure of the best flight to get from London to Biarritz. I can either get into Biarritz at 15:15 then get the bus to Bayonne then train onto SJPdP, however I imagine that I will get into SJPdP fairly late and that it will therefore be harder to find space in an Albergue.
Alternatively I can get into Biarritz at 21:10 and stay overnight in a hostel/hotel then be able to get into SJPdP early the next day.
In your experienced opinion, which option is the best?
Tiff,

Not sure who you're planning on flying with or when. Are you aware there's a Ryanair flight that leaves Stansted 08:55hrs arriving Biarritz 11:45hrs on some days in their new schedule. £72:99 last time I looked.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back