• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Give me a Camino, and give me thirty days"

amancio

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
That is a quote from
The Great Westward Walk: From the Front Door to the End of the Earth
a book written by Antxon Gonzalez Garabain, aka Bolitx.

Every year, on June 21st, the world remembers persons who have suffered a disease that goes under different names in English - Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Motor Neuron Disease (MND) or even Lou Gehrig's disease. Most of you must know by now the story of Antxon, a young pilgrim who died only three days after finishing writing a beautiful book about the Camino, when he was only able to talk by using his eyelids and a computer voice system. Besides in Spanish, it is published in English (translation by no less than our Rebekah Scott), Dutch and Japanese, and you can find it easily online.

Of all the hundreds of books written about the Camino, no other book captures the broad spectrum of feelings that accompany a piligrim on the way to Santiago like this one does. It is personal and intimate when it needs to be, but also euphoric, humorous, a celebration of life despite all the pesky things that upset our daily lives. Below is an excerpt that recently came to my attention and that summarized it spirit.

Now youā€™re going to tell me after all these kilometers youā€™ve never bitched and complained out loud because you were rained-on, or got lost, or you couldnā€™t find a place to sleep? For whatever reason?ā€ ā€œI, my friend, have walked with the devil himself, and what you say is true. But you can give me torrential rain all the way down the Alto de Perdon, or a hurricane wind in my face all the way to Lubier. Give me 46 degrees in the shade in Merida, or a meter of frozen snow on Lepoeder Pass. Give me a line of bicyclists skidding ā€˜round the curves that climb Markina, and give me seven days straight without seeing a single waymark. Give meā€¦ give me the five most infuriating hospitaleros who ever existed, during five consecutive days, and give me miles of asphalt underfoot. And signs that say ā€œCompletoā€ and ā€œClosed,ā€ and as many blisters as you want. Give me hunger and thirst. Donā€™t forget to give me a cold shower ā€“ you know how much I love those! Give me albergues full of Frenchmen and bedbugs, and give me a poorly-placed waymark at the worst possible momentā€¦ ā€œBut more than anything, give me a Camino, and give me thirty days.ā€

The proceeding from the sales of this book go directly to Antxon's two daughters, to support their studies. Who knows, if you go through Burguete, just past Roncesvalles, and see an old man feeding a red kite (a big raptor bird!) with pieces of chicken virtually off his hand while he tenders his vegetable patch, you might stop and say hello; it will be the author's father, a lovely man if I ever met one.

Every year, I remember Antxon, who was also an active member of the most famous Spanish pilgrim forum and with whom I often exchanged chats without knowing about his condition, he was always so optimistic, so full of life.

Even in his latest months, when he was able to express himself only by using a computer voice system that he commanded with his eyelids, he kept a great sense of humour; he had programmed the system to understand one particular gesture that he would use any time somebody asked him how he was keeping.
He would nod at the screen in a certain way, and you would hear the response:

"Ā”Cojonudamente!"

Which would be hard to translate into English without using the F word and basically means something like "brilliantly".

A big hug, great pilgrim, wherever you are!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I absolutely love that book and reread it again on my last camino. I've been looking for a paper copy in Spanish in order to read it (with my English kindle versiĆ³n to help as needed) but unfortunately haven't found it in any book shops on my trips to Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I absolutely love that book and reread it again on my last camino. I've been looking for a paper copy in Spanish in order to read it (with my English kindle versiĆ³n to help as needed) but unfortunately haven't found it in any book shops on my trips to Spain.
I will lend you mine...you know where I live...but email you have, or at least pm. I often give books, but am happy to lend this one.šŸ˜‡
On the other hand, I would ring Kenny's of Galway and see if they might get it. They post free worldwide. Or here is a link to the website if it still works.
You could also try Amazon, but you need to look that up yourself, they track me down when I open their website...

That is a quote from

Every year, on June 21st, the world remembers persons who have suffered a disease that goes under different names in English - Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Motor Neuron Disease (MND) or even Lou Gehrig's disease. Most of you must know by now the story of Antxon, a young pilgrim who died only three days after finishing writing a beautiful book about the Camino, when he was only able to talk by using his eyelids and a computer voice system. Besides in Spanish, it is published in English (translation by no less than our Rebekah Scott), Dutch and Japanese, and you can find it easily online.

Of all the hundreds of books written about the Camino, no other book captures the broad spectrum of feelings that accompany a piligrim on the way to Santiago like this one does. It is personal and intimate when it needs to be, but also euphoric, humorous, a celebration of life despite all the pesky things that upset our daily lives. Below is an excerpt that recently came to my attention and that summarized it spirit.

Now youā€™re going to tell me after all these kilometers youā€™ve never bitched and complained out loud because you were rained-on, or got lost, or you couldnā€™t find a place to sleep? For whatever reason?ā€ ā€œI, my friend, have walked with the devil himself, and what you say is true. But you can give me torrential rain all the way down the Alto de Perdon, or a hurricane wind in my face all the way to Lubier. Give me 46 degrees in the shade in Merida, or a meter of frozen snow on Lepoeder Pass. Give me a line of bicyclists skidding ā€˜round the curves that climb Markina, and give me seven days straight without seeing a single waymark. Give meā€¦ give me the five most infuriating hospitaleros who ever existed, during five consecutive days, and give me miles of asphalt underfoot. And signs that say ā€œCompletoā€ and ā€œClosed,ā€ and as many blisters as you want. Give me hunger and thirst. Donā€™t forget to give me a cold shower ā€“ you know how much I love those! Give me albergues full of Frenchmen and bedbugs, and give me a poorly-placed waymark at the worst possible momentā€¦ ā€œBut more than anything, give me a Camino, and give me thirty days.ā€

The proceeding from the sales of this book go directly to Antxon's two daughters, to support their studies. Who knows, if you go through Burguete, just past Roncesvalles, and see an old man feeding a red kite (a big raptor bird!) with pieces of chicken virtually off his hand while he tenders his vegetable patch, you might stop and say hello; it will be the author's father, a lovely man if I ever met one.

Every year, I remember Antxon, who was also an active member of the most famous Spanish pilgrim forum and with whom I often exchanged chats without knowing about his condition, he was always so optimistic, so full of life.

Even in his latest months, when he was able to express himself only by using a computer voice system that he commanded with his eyelids, he kept a great sense of humour; he had programmed the system to understand one particular gesture that he would use any time somebody asked him how he was keeping.

"Ā”Cojonudamente!"

Which would be hard to translate into English without using the F word and basically means something like "brilliantly".

Thank you, so much, for sharing this glorious quote and also some backstory. I will certainly buy this book, and will even splurge and buy the paperback version rather than kindle if it helps support his children.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
Iā€™ve just returned from the funeral today of one of my oldest, dearest friends who passed away last week from ALS. (Logging into the forum is (usually) therapeutic on difficult daysā€¦) I saw this post and am taking it as a reminder to get a copy of this beautiful book for myself, and a second, translated one to send, in due time, to my friendā€™s family. Greg shared some of Antxonā€™s traits: wonder, gratitude, and cojones (can I say that in the forum?). He had a mercifully short run of the disease, a little over one year. Still, I wish with all my heart his camino would have been a different one. Thanks for the post, and gracias al Bolitx. ā€œRing the bellsā€¦ā€

That is a quote from

"Ā”Cojonudamente!"

Thanks amancio! Cojonudamente! I just ordered a copy online. Canā€™t wait to read!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That is a quote from

"Ā”Cojonudamente!"

So, based on your message above I read this book, and just finished it last night. Oh my goodness, THANK YOU! This was by far the most meaningful, and also funny and wise, account of walking the Camino I have read thus far. It is a treasure, and Iā€™m so grateful for your post about it. Gracias!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.