• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grayland leaves from St. Jean Jan 13

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It seems the Napoleon will be closed. I have walked both routes in the past.
The mythical aspect of the Napoleon route has little effect on me now. It is kind of sad that so much of the discussion makes the Napoleon sound much more difficult than it really is. Hard but doable for most people.

They are both difficult but the Napoleon is really not much harder...except that it has no stopping points except for Orrison so no bars for coffee.:cool:

The Valcarlos route follows the road for most of the way so is kept open. There is one area that cuts thru the woods with some elevation climbs up and down.
I would avoid that in snow and stay on the road.

A winter Camino sounded like a nice challenge. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wish you well Grayland and Buen Camino!

I have driven though Valcarlos and it is a very picturesque town (as you know.) I would love to go though Valcarlos if I should return.

Lucky you, grayland. Another forum member able to walk a winter camino. Is this the camino with a potential Invierno ending? Laurie

Yes...but after taking a hasty look at your great new Invierno guide..I am concerned about the condition of the route in January-February.
A bit more investgation before a decision is made.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes...but after taking a hasty look at your great new Invierno guide..I am concerned about the condition of the route in January-February.
A bit more investgation before a decision is made.
You can just wait till you reach Ponferrada (for Invierno that is) and then decide. But you already know that :)
I've walked Valcarlos route in 2009 due to twisted ankle and it was ALL on the road. Huh, tough in my opinion because it climbs in looooong curves but eventually me and my mother got to Ibaneta Pass all in fog. Special memory no doubt. Wish you well, Camigo!!!

0019-fog at Ibaneta Pass (S.Jean Pied de Port-Roncesvalles, 19.05.2009).jpg

A winter Camino sounded like a nice challenge. :)
Wonderful, Grayland...buen camino! And welcome back to the Frances, by the way...No doubt it'll be a different experience in the winter. :cool:
I'll be curious to know how you go in the Invierno...if you go that way...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If I recall the Valcarlos route ...there are two pretty long areas off from the road. One tha parallels the road right after SJPP and into Arneguy.
The other about mile marker 58 (or close).
I do know I don't want to walk the long winding uphill on the road after Valcarlos.
I probably am not remembering it well as my last time on the Valcarlos route was 2010.
I also remenber the good bar in Valcarlos but never stayed there.
Thanks to all for the good vibes.
Actually looking forward to the quiet...and the weather challenges..if any.

Welcome to the winter club:D! I walked the CF in winter and really enjoyed it. I hope you have a wonderful walk. Buen Camino!

I don't remember the mile marker (mspath will probably know quite precisely) but yes, this is my memory also--and the shortcut was very easy to find.
It could be pretty snowy up there, depending on weather--but the path is gorgeous and so much shorter and more pleasant than the road would be. In early March, on the flat section before the Ibaneta pass, the snow was knee-deep in places.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/a-snow-update.31904/

Attachments

• 20150310_154855 (1024x576).jpg
    20150310_154855 (1024x576).jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 6
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are two places after Valcarlos where the path leaves the road and plunges down to a stream at the bottom of a ravine, of cource you have to climb back up. these paths are to cut out long bends or loops in the road. If I were doing it again I would stay on the road, it would be a little longer but a lot easier.
The path before Valcarlos is through farmland and is very beautiful but I don't know what this would be like in heavy snow.

Buen camino, Grayland!!

It was nice to meet you on the Primitivo and in Santiago this year. Enjoy the cool and the quiet!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen camino, Grayland!!

It was nice to meet you on the Primitivo and in Santiago this year. Enjoy the cool and the quiet!

Hi Norelle,
It will be a marked difference in weather than our Primitivo walk in July.:cool:
I did go to Porto after the Primitivo and walked the Coastal Route. Very, very few other pilgrims but well marked and great albergues. Did not switch over to the interior until after Vigo where it became more busy.

I have walked the CF several times in the past but before the hordes that are now seen.
I did want to walk it once again and decided that I should have a bit of personal space in January.
I hope we will meet along the way again one day.
Ed

I wish you a heartfelt Buen Camino Grayland; hope you will keep your forum friends posted……yes, it should be blissfully quiet. Lucky you!

As I think you mentioned earlier, we might meet each other on the Way. I begin in Burgos on 25 January. I am staying at Happy Hostal Carrales the night before my departure. You'll know me because if there is even the tiniest patch of snow I'll be taking photos of it and playing in it. This is normal behaviour for Queenslanders (people from the Australian state of Queensland) because many of us never see snow in our lives (I am fortunate to have seen it 5-6 times in my 36 years). LOL.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Countdown on now Grayland.
I'm sure you'll be a Camino Angel along the way.
Going in another season will be quite the experience .
Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back