• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Green alternative to industrial Porrino..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I camed here today just to share that. Next year I'll give it a try. Let us see how it goes :)

Best regards
Diogo Martins

Gah! Where was this when I needed it? But still, the 90 minute slog down the long straight road past the car storage was character building. Awful, but character building.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
AGACS, the Galician camino amigos group, just finished waymarking a green alternative route that saves Camino Portuguese hikers and bikers the less-than-inspiring slog through the O Porrino industrial park. Read all about it here:

http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/

Hi tried to look at the webpage but its all In Portuguese please can you help? Did you ever find inyour little church the tiny bottle of amarula in sept 2010? I .delivered on behalf of Silly doll
starting Lisbon9 sept

Hi tried to look at the webpage but its all In Portuguese please can you help?....

Copy the text paragraphs into your browser, drop them into Google translate or another translation service and BINGO!

Thank you so much for this, I'm trying to format the brochure for my pc. Although a founder member of the Confraternity Poligono Industrial O Porrino , I'll definitely be using this green alternative, probably AS WELL as walking the traditional route. I can't resist the delights of the businesses like Wartsila ...

For those interested the area has it's own highly informative website here

http://www.poligonoagranxa.com/

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for this, I'm trying to format the brochure for my pc. Although a founder member of the Confraternity Poligono Industrial O Porrino , I'll definitely be using this green alternative, probably AS WELL as walking the traditional route. I can't resist the delights of the businesses like Wartsila ...

For those interested the area has it's own highly informative website here

http://www.poligonoagranxa.com/

When we walked in june at the polígono industrial de Porriño allmost at the end towards Porriño I discovered una empressa de construciónes de hormigón and a lot of heavy transport vehicles (gondolas y remolques con cama baja) some of them where made by the company Holandesa, I used to work for before my jubilado.the remolques were painted blue so I was wondering to whom they belong. Later traveling back by bus from Santiago to Porto we passed the polígono from the autopista and I noticed there was situated Doniz de Vigo transportes especial but they have the yellow paint at their equipment.
So still ask myself. Who is the blue one ?

I've talked with a pilgrim today that has already passed for this new alternative, and he warns out people to be very but very careful and at least, for now, to take the map/flyer of this new part of the Caminho, because the way it's not so well marked has that. He got lost twice.

So be careful.

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has @Rebekah Scott told in this thread http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/green-alternative-to-industrial-porrino.20261/, there is a new way that goes outside from O Porriño through a green area, making pilgrims not passing el Polígono Industrial.

The way was marked by the ACAGS, the Galician Association of Camiño Friends. The thing is that these markings are being replaced by people who have nothing to do with the Camiño. I’m talking of course of the people who have businesses on the old way, and that want that the pilgrims still pass on their cafes, restaurants, whatever, so that they can make more money!

This it's what happened on the last few days:

1175073_576267882434489_19648014_n.jpg

1176383_576270755767535_1756243912_n.jpg

I personally don’t support this people, I’ve paid 16€ for an average lunch in O Porriño this year. The only good thing from that lunch was the Tapas, all the rest was not so good has that (soop was more boiled water with vegetables), and the lady even tried to refuse the new 5€ bill’s.

SO PAY ATTENTION!

If you intend to take this route, I will give you some advices:
- Download the official flyer from the A.C.A.G.S. website.
In spanish: http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/attachments/article/541/orb_porr_cast.pdf
In Gallego: http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/attachments/article/541/orb_porr_gal.pdf

If you take a GPS, you can download the full section from Ponte de Lima to Redondela in here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/371387197

Most of all, enjoy your Camiño, but be carefull.

Best Regards
Diogo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Diogo92
As a matter of interest , WHERE exactly are those new arrows in the photo's ? I also wondered whether it might be a good idea to MERGE these O Porrino threads ? Beyond me I'm afraid !

Rebekah - Have you or anyone else communicated this improvement to John Brierley for inclusion in his guide? His next edition is set to come out in February 2014. Plus, he does make interim changes available as free .pdf downloads from his web site.

I suspect it would be the best way to inform the greatest number of pilgrims. I do not know Mr. Brierley personally and I am not shilling for him; but, as about half of all pilgrims on the CF I encountered in April - May this year seemed to be carrying his book, it might be a good idea.

One of the irksome things about his book - other than the sheer mass of it - is the lack of timely updates and revisions. Thanks.

Buen Camino!

Tom (from Virginia)

Yes I know this improvement is on the Camino Portuguese. Mr. Brierley has a guide for that route as well. So everything I said applies. I just forgot to include this before I hit the post reply button. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@stevenjarvis , this arrows are located near Orbenlle.

And yes, is a good idea to merge them.

Best regards
Diogo Martins

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Has @Rebekah Scott told in this thread http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/green-alternative-to-industrial-porrino.20261/, there is a new way that goes outside from O Porriño through a green area, making pilgrims not passing el Polígono Industrial.

The way was marked by the ACAGS, the Galician Association of Camiño Friends. The thing is that these markings are being replaced by people who have nothing to do with the Camiño. I’m talking of course of the people who have businesses on the old way, and that want that the pilgrims still pass on their cafes, restaurants, whatever, so that they can make more money!

This it's what happened on the last few days:

View attachment 6100

View attachment 6101

I personally don’t support this people, I’ve paid 16€ for an average lunch in O Porriño this year. The only good thing from that lunch was the Tapas, all the rest was not so good has that (soop was more boiled water with vegetables), and the lady even tried to refuse the new 5€ bill’s.

SO PAY ATTENTION!

If you intend to take this route, I will give you some advices:
- Download the official flyer from the A.C.A.G.S. website.
In spanish: http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/attachments/article/541/orb_porr_cast.pdf
In Gallego: http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/attachments/article/541/orb_porr_gal.pdf

If you take a GPS, you can download the full section from Ponte de Lima to Redondela in here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/371387197

Most of all, enjoy your Camiño, but be carefull.

Best Regards
Diogo

See the English version about the new path:
http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/attachments/article/541/orb_porr_eng.pdf

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There were arrows both ways. Since I was desperately in need of a bar I took the old route, just to see that the bar / restaurant near by was closed and the rest area further on looked a bit closed down too. At least no toilet. But there was a bar later on.
Most of the people I saw on the camino that day took the old way. It was not very enjoyable but also interesting to see that people work with other things than tourists and peregrinos in Spain, lot of places to work and since unemployment is a big problem in Spain, it is Ok to see that things still go on. Sure some path in the wood would be nice after all this walking on hard roads all the way from Porto, but 4 km more or less doesn't matter so much.

There were arrows both ways. Since I was desperately in need of a bar I took the old route, just to see that the bar / restaurant near by was closed and the rest area further on looked a bit closed down too. At least no toilet. But there was a bar later on.
Most of the people I saw on the camino that day took the old way. It was not very enjoyable but also interesting to see that people work with other things than tourists and peregrinos in Spain, lot of places to work and since unemployment is a big problem in Spain, it is Ok to see that things still go on. Sure some path in the wood would be nice after all this walking on hard roads all the way from Porto, but 4 km more or less doesn't matter so much.
I agree with you. After the place where Citroên cars ,manufactured in Vigo, have their stock was a transport company and there I could check out how the heavy transport lowloaders were doing. The company I worked for in Spain manufactured them.
So what was the fun of this bouring track at the end ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here are a couple of photos I took. This alternative route is a MUST! And it's so easy to follow, once you've ignored the attempts to paint out the arrows in Orbenlle.
View attachment 13437 View attachment 13438

That place from the second pictures was completely floded in late March this year. It was funny how we managed to pass it :D

Sorry I have not been back to this thread for a while. I have seen the AGACS postings about the vandalism and destruction of the new waymarks. I suppose pilgrims who must follow clear markings will have to take their chances if the vandals have been there recently... if they end up in the industrial wasteland they can, hopefully, NOT spend any money there.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry I have not been back to this thread for a while. I have seen the AGACS postings about the vandalism and destruction of the new waymarks. I suppose pilgrims who must follow clear markings will have to take their chances if the vandals have been there recently... if they end up in the industrial wasteland they can, hopefully, NOT spend any money there.
I think the waymarks were quite ok. There were posters along the way before the takeoff which showed you the new way. At the takeoffpoint there were arrows both way, but there was a big arrow with the text the real camino pointing the old way. I could not say I was lead into the industrial wasteland.

We were walking that portion on Sept. 7 and discovered a gentleman with a bucket of black paint painting out the signs to the alternative trail. He was urging us to go on the old route, but on questioning him in my inept Spanish and sign language, he indicated that both routes were the same and met up at a later point. We went on the new route, avoiding most of Porrino. At first some of the signs were blackened out and one post was laying on the ground, but after that the route was well marked and easy to follow. Eventually we did come up into Porrino when it was time for some coffee, although we did see what looked the continuation of the bypass trail following the railroad, again there looked to be blackened out signage.

Flooded still.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For all of those going to do the Portuguese Caminho, and that count to walk on this detour, have a look on this video:

obrigado Diogo for sharing this video -
nice memories ... and gratitude that i walked that path in relative ease (meaning: without rain-gear) - there were muddy bits, but nothing as shown in the video.
appreciated the ride - thanks again!

Diogo, thanks for posting this. It looks so much more attractive than the industrial estate and then the long trek along the main road.

I look forward to the new route when I walk the Portugues again next Spring.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Crews were working on the flooded area when we went by on Sept 7th:
IMG_2701 - Version 2.jpg

Thank you @Diogo92 for sharing the video. Very helpful.

Good morning @winewalker it was nice to meet you, your wife and your Canadian group on the Portugues.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Diogo92 that video is fantastic......I want one of those cameras! Four months on the memories are still very fresh. Thanks for posting. I will add the video to my blog.

@Diogo92 that video is fantastic......I want one of those cameras! Four months on the memories are still very fresh. Thanks for posting. I will add the video to my blog.
hola Maggie que tal ?
This camera's are great. So called action camera's put on a bikehelmet, a chestharnass or even fixed on the backpack. I have started a thread on this forum about experiences of pilgrims about these camera's the other day (equipments) I will use one on my next camino .A friend of mine will buy one for me in the USA coming november.
I saw vids made by my daughter while scuba diving. Great. !
Although hiking is not a fast action theme, the size and weight of the device is interesting and you can make fabulous wide angle shots.

http://gopro.com

Last edited:
Hey, I liked Porrino! (There again, I liked Decazeville...so maybe the problem is with me.)

There isn't any problem with Porrino. The problem it's how you reach there :D

AGACS, the Galician camino amigos group, just finished waymarking a green alternative route that saves Camino Portuguese hikers and bikers the less-than-inspiring slog through the O Porrino industrial park. Read all about it here:

http://www.amigosdelcamino.com/
My wife and I just arrived in Porrino via the new route. We have not been on the old route so cannot compare other than what we have heard of the old route through the industrial zone. We did see the painted out arrows and burnt signs.

The route was nice and included the trail by the river as per the idyllic photos on the commercial "feel the difference" posters advertising the new route. What the posters don't say is that there is also a fair bit of narrow shoulder walking on busy highways and that the new route is 2 to 3 km longer than the old.

We are curious why the route is marketed as a replacement and not an optional or alternative route as other green alternatives are further south considering the extra length. It also might have lessened some bitterness of the restaurant owners on the old route.

We did find a wonderful bar/restaurant 50m+ off the road to the left just near the end of the new route where the white sidewalk starts at the edge of town. We were soaken wet after a day of heavy rain, only spoke English and they only Spanish but we ended up being served a chilled bottle of homemade red wine, bread, a pasta starter and a wonderful roast chicken dinner, plus cafe and a shot of "firewater" for 2 of us for a total of 13 E. Certainly compares favourably to the 16E lunch for 2 mentioned in one of the thread comments.

Attachments

• 20141013_152711.jpg
    20141013_152711.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4
For all of those going to do the Portuguese Caminho, and that count to walk on this detour, have a look on this video:

Thankyou for that. I'm walking that section tomorrow. Really will help me now I've watched the video.

My wife and I just arrived in Porrino via the new route. We have not been on the old route so cannot compare other than what we have heard of the old route through the industrial zone. We did see the painted out arrows and burnt signs.

The route was nice and included the trail by the river as per the idyllic photos on the commercial "feel the difference" posters advertising the new route. What the posters don't say is that there is also a fair bit of narrow shoulder walking on busy highways and that the new route is 2 to 3 km longer than the old.

We are curious why the route is marketed as a replacement and not an optional or alternative route as other green alternatives are further south considering the extra length. It also might have lessened some bitterness of the restaurant owners on the old route.

We did find a wonderful bar/restaurant 50m+ off the road to the left just near the end of the new route where the white sidewalk starts at the edge of town. We were soaken wet after a day of heavy rain, only spoke English and they only Spanish but we ended up being served a chilled bottle of homemade red wine, bread, a pasta starter and a wonderful roast chicken dinner, plus cafe and a shot of "firewater" for 2 of us for a total of 13 E. Certainly compares favourably to the 16E lunch for 2 mentioned in one of the thread comments.
Good to hear you both are doing well.
Up to Redondela.
If you stay at the xunta Redondela albergue you have to walk a bit around in the area to find a bar with "accesso internet " ..wifi... Have a nice walk tomorrow

Good to hear you both are doing well.
Up to Redondela.
If you stay at the xunta Redondela albergue you have to walk a bit around in the area to find a bar with "accesso internet " ..wifi... Have a nice walk tomorrow
The bar (A Farola) across the square, directly in front of the albergue door, has internet. The harder thing is finding a place to dry clothes (although there is a decent field for that on one of the side streets just southwest of the bar, particularly if you have your own piece of rope).

The bar (A Farola) across the square, directly in front of the albergue door, has internet. The harder thing is finding a place to dry clothes (although there is a decent field for that on one of the side streets just southwest of the bar, particularly if you have your own piece of rope).
Okay ! We could not reach that place by then that particulairy Sunday. End of May there was "the feast of the Dragon" the square and sidestreets were packed with people. But we tried on several places in bars,restaurants and at last we found a wifispot in of the sidestreets. But this was one and a half year ago..

Our clothes we were happy to dry at I thought was a kind of balcony or a room with a big window Can't remember that detail but because of there were so many pilgrims in the albergue we dryed some clothes ,by hanging outside the backpack during walking the day after.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Just back from the Camino Porto to Santiago .Regarding the issue of the industrial section before Porrino , my solution we got a taxi from Tui to the alberque in Porrino, sharing with three others , cost 5€ each

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back