• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings Im new and walking in October 2013

ScottTheAussie

Time of past OR future Camino
first one is in October 2013
I've done some silly things.. but like everything, they all seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
So I'm walking the Camino as a kind of a system reboot.
Last year I turned 40, was married with kids and a mortgage.. Lets just say things are different now.

I have no idea why but I'm starting up in Biaritz on October 6 and walking the Tunnel route. Will then plan to re-join the Camino Frances in Burgos at some time.
Looking forwards to meeting some of you along the way.
Scott L

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've done some silly things.. but like everything, they all seemed like the right thing to do at the time.
Last year I turned 40, was married with kids and a mortgage.. Lets just say things are different now.

I have no idea why but I'm starting up in Biaritz on October 6 and walking the Tunnel route. Will then plan to re-join the Camino Frances in Burgos at some time.
Scott L

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Congratulations on starting your Camino journey!

I am 27 and after almost a year of travel I was no further closer to knowing what I wanted to do, I never thought I could do this until I bit the bullet and booked my flights! I leave end of October :)

In the last two years I gave up my nursing career (ok all 6 years of it) started my own dog walking business and decided not to go down the route of getting a mortgage and settling where I was.

The Camino called to me in June and at the end of July it was booked!

Good luck to you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The "Tunel de San Andres" and the magical beech tree forrest. Your bound to enjoy it Scott.

It´s the natural pass from Guipuzoa to Alaba in the Basque country (Euskal Herria).

Inside the tunnel you´ll find a small chapel. And on the other side will can still see & use a medieval road.

It is said that when King Charles the I of Spain & V of Germany came to Spain to sit on the throne he passed this way

and lowered his head in order to pass thru the tunnel just like any other mortal.

Buen Camino!

Scott L

Hi Scott,

I am from Brisbane and have just quit my job and will be walking with my daughter around the same time. We are doing the Portuguese coastal route starting around the 9th oct. I hope your Camino is everything you need!

Cheers
Ella

Good for you! I am a grandmom and have been 'biting bullets' for years -- and this is just the next one.
The experiences are amazing, and of course, all conducive to new chapters in life.
I have not yet booked my flight as I would like to book a round trip, but having difficulty deciding best location. That will be done within the next day or so.
I got the 'call of the Camino' last winter and haven't lost it....so am heading out first of November....
Never know - we may meet on the trail.
All the best!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good for you! I am a grandmom and have been 'biting bullets' for years -- and this is just the next one.
The experiences are amazing, and of course, all conducive to new chapters in life.
I have not yet booked my flight as I would like to book a round trip, but having difficulty deciding best location. That will be done within the next day or so.
I got the 'call of the Camino' last winter and haven't lost it....so am heading out first of November....
Never know - we may meet on the trail.
All the best!

Marlene,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find much helpful information here to plan your Camino.

Since you will start out in November be sure to read this Forum thread about walking late in the year. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-camino-frances-in-october-november.17421/ and this for winter walking >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-in-winter.16636/

Whatever season you choose to walk the camino it is most important to BE PREPARED!!

Another useful thread for those of us aged 60 plus is >> 60 and over
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/frequently-asked-questions/topic12014.html.

Remember that this is your camino! Your path is made by your feet; there is no single way. We pilgrims may share our journeys, hopes and fears, but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates a particular pattern moving along. Thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual units across time and space together form the whole.

What matters is to DO IT!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Scott L
Scott,

Just missed me. I'll be in Bayonne on the 5/6th & heading to SJPdP to start on the 7th. Hope we catch up at some stage!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thankyou everyone for the warm welcome.
and special callout to KinkyOne for the info.
I had previously found a free guide book on the tunnel route. Here:
http://www.csj.org.uk/TunnelRoute2009.pdf

Perhaps I'll come back someday with my kids starting from SJPdP. For some reason the tunnel route called to me.

Buen Camino
Scott

Last edited:
@ScottTheAussie

Thanks Scott, but I think I've made a mistake ;) In your OP you mentioned to start in Biarritz and reconnect with Frances in Burgos. Well, that's Via de Bayona (http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/rutas.cfm?id=59), which starts in Bayonne and ends in Burgos. The fact is that Via de Bayona and Camino Vasco del Interior share the stretch between Irun and Estavillo, which is a few kms after La Puebla de Arganzon. In Estavillo Via de Bayona turns right (more NW) towards Miranda de Ebro (and Burgos), while Camino Vasco turns left towards Haro (and Sto.Domingo de la Calzada which is eastward from Burgos on CF).

But this link (http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/camino-vasco-del-interior.htm) doesn't know for Via de Bayona, instead both routes are named Camino Vasco (starts in Irun) with two already mentioned options (via Burgos and Sto.Domingo).

Different names of mainly the same Camino. I'm sure that the walk itself is important to you and not the name of the route :)

Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All Good KO. :)

I like that these are all 'guide' books anyway. Nothing is ever certain until it happens :)
Change is the only constant
Cheers
STA ;)

Scott L
Hi Scott, did you walk the Camino?

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back