• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having something mailed to Santiago

kmm2000

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hi all! I am currently on the Camino and running into an issue with my debit card. My bank is switching over all debit cards and deactivating the old ones. The card is being mailed to my house in the states, but I will not be able to get it before the current one is deactivated. Can I have it shipped to the post office in Santiago and pick it up when I get there? How do I do that logistically?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Firstly, will your bank send it to a post office and not an address?

If so, here's the information on sending things to the Correos office. It's the instructions for sending luggage or parcels, but it should be similar for letters.

If you need to have it sent to an address you can send it to @ivar

One thing to consider is activating the card. You may need to call from a US number. Or hopefully you can do it through the bank's app or website.

Is this your only debit card?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Firstly, will your bank send it to a post office and not an address?

If so, here's the information on sending things to the Correos office. It's the instructions for sending luggage or parcels, but it should be similar for letters.

If you need to have it sent to an address you can send it to @ivar

One thing to consider is activating the card. You may need to call from a US number. Or hopefully you can do it through the bank's app or website.

Is this your only debit card?
Yes, this is my only debit card. I have a credit card, but this is the only card I can use to get cash from an ATM.

On the website, Ivar says it only accepts things sent from the EU, so I’m not sure they would accept it.

On the website, Ivar says it only accepts things sent from the EU, so I’m not sure they would accept it.
The website is mostly about sending packages and luggage to @ivar. You can send him a private message or an email to the address on the website about a letter sized envelope. (I'm assuming that's how they would send it)

I needed a replacement credit card when in Barcelona. The bank sent it from Texas to my hotel via DHL. It arrived the next day in one of those large shipping envelopes unopened so apparently it bypassed customs.

I don't know if your bank will supply such speedy service but it looks good that DHL will.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If I were in this situation I would open an account at a new bank ASAP. You only need to fund it with enough money for your Camino.

If I were in this situation I would open an account at a new bank ASAP. You only need to fund it with enough money for your Camino.
Very good advice. Also check with your bank re extending the close date on your existing card. And even if they agree don’t take a chance on them actually doing it. Also, here at least there are other organisations, such as Post Offices which issue debit cards for travel purposes. But in any case if your own bank won’t come to the party( and the appalling action of arbitrarily shutting off all existing accounts is such) close your account there and go to a different bank.

De
Colores

Bogong

You could sign up online for a Wise account which comes (by default) with a virtual debit card. You can fund it by direct bank transfer (or from your current debit card whilst it still works). There may be a fee with funding via debit card - but desperate times call for desperate measures.

An increasing number of cash machines have a contactless option which doesn’t require you to introduce a physical card.

And/or get plenty cash whilst you can and stay extra-alert.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I have to cut short my walk today to do some business so I’m going to take the train from Soto de Luiña to Novellana. It is a small town there’s no one here besides me and I don’t know...
hi all! I am heading to camino de santiago in august (doing the last 100k) and after 4 days of walking i'd love to end my trip to spain relaxing on a beach. My question is, which beach is the...
Hello. We are 2 people (first timers) who are hoping to begin our Camino from Sarria on Satruday 15th June. However I have been told that if you use the postal service to transfer bags from A to...
Hi Friends! Lauren here :) We are having a blast on our Camino, just reached Baiona yesterday. I need help. I’ve tried countless times to book the train from Vigo to Lisbon on June 24th and...
We will be getting a taxi at about 10:30 this Thursday (13th June) from Pamplona to St Jean if anyone wants to share?
Hi all, I'm walking a section of the Northern Route next month and I am finalising my stages currently. I have not given myself enough time to get to Bilbao given the days I have and I am booked...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back