• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having trouble booking train from Santiago to Madrid Airport

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
First I set up an account with Renfe a few days ago. Then last evening I setup my trains with the website Renfe.Com with a bit of issue. Had to contact my credit card company to let them know that these foreign transactions were normal. My iPad translated to English, and all went well. Chose SDC for departure station and Madrid Chamartin for arrival, then the second sort on the time. The tickets are in my Renfe account, plus they’re uploaded to my iPhone wallet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am attempting to book my return train to Madrid from Santiago and cannot find a train. Need August 25, and Renfe has options UNTIL Aug 21, then no trains until after Aug 30. Any thoughts?
This might be a timing issue. The RENFE site was showing services from Santiago to Madrid on 25 Aug a few minutes ago when I checked.

My experiences with Renfe are that they usually put up the schedules 30 days in advance but that this varies by a week or so. I haven't found any good pattern. Their website also has the problem of often refusing to talk to Visa so I end up using an American Express card account or Paypal. Be sure to set up an account, if you haven't already, it makes returns and rescheduling very very much easier.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am attempting to book my return train to Madrid from Santiago and cannot find a train. Need August 25, and Renfe has options UNTIL Aug 21, then no trains until after Aug 30. Any thoughts?
I have no explanation and can only advise to do what the Renfe websites says: Try again later.

At this moment in time, I see what you see: Fast trains from Santiago to Madrid are not on sale on the Renfe website for August 25 while they are on sale for dates that are weeks later such as for September 22. On Trainline, these trains are marked as sold out but that is misleading as it would say completo on Renfe in this case.

Trains.jpg

My experiences with Renfe are that they usually put up the schedules 30 days in advance but that this varies by a week or so. I haven't found any good pattern. Their website also has the problem of often refusing to talk to Visa so I end up using an American Express card account or Paypal. Be sure to set up an account, if you haven't already, it makes returns and rescheduling very very much easier.
Yes, this summer I was able to get tickets about 2 months out for some routes and others only about 3 weeks out! I am sure there is a schedule to the ticket releases, but I have not figured it out yet...

I don't buy through Renfe except in person as the website doesn't take my credit card either. I go through Trainline as it recognizes my card and my Tarjeta Dorada discount.

I have no explanation and can only advise to do what the Renfe websites says: Try again later.

At this moment in time, I see what you see: Fast trains from Santiago to Madrid are not on sale on the Renfe website for August 25 while they are on sale for dates that are weeks later such as for September 22. On Trainline, these trains are marked as sold out but that is misleading as it would say completo on Renfe in this case.

View attachment 153518
Yes I just checked too and can see no logic to it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Renfe website's payment page asks for 2 step verification. If your credit card cannot handle this requirement you cannot use it. Credit cards issued in Spain or elsewhere in Europe don't have an issue with this.
When I ran into this issue with Renfe I used PayPal and had no problems.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You simply choose the train from santiago to madrid station CHAMARTIN and from there to take the "cercanias" directly to Madrid Airport - it takes less than 30 minutes and the the ticket from Santiago does normally also include the trip with the "cercanies". I did the same trip 2 weeks ago - from Santiago at approx 7 am and arrival at Chamartin 4 hours laters. - I wish you a pleasant journey - best regards from Erik "el vikingo de Dinamarca"

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@junie, in case you have not yet noticed it, we are 24 hours later and the prices for Santiago to Madrid on August 25, 2023 are now shown on the Renfe website; tickets for this date can be purchased. Buen Camino!

The note that you see when you click on the red triangles says that there are some changes in the usual trajectory, due to engineering works. This may have been the reason why it was temporarily not possible to purchase tickets yesterday.

Tickets 25 August.jpg

Last edited:
Check out the night bus from Santiago to the Madrid airport. It worked for me and I had no reservation.

Hi! Have you thought of flying to Madrid? I took Renfe from Madrid to Sarria and a flight from Santiago to Madrid. Hope this helps!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@junie, in case you have not yet noticed it, we are 24 hours later and the prices for Santiago to Madrid on August 25, 2023 are now shown on the Renfe website; tickets for this date can be purchased. Buen Camino!

The note that you see when you click on the red triangles says that there are some changes in the usual trajectory, due to engineering works. This may have been the reason why it was temporarily not possible to purchase tickets yesterday.

View attachment 153577
This. I have a trainticket for the 23rd of August from Santiago de Compostela to Zamora. I'll have to change trains in Ourense. Yesterday I had another look at my ticket (which I booked 2 months ago) and the scedule of the first train (Santiago - Ourense) had been changed. Apparantly there are now only buses in that period.

So it takes much more time now, which means I'll miss my connection in Ourense. No warning from Renfe at all. I filled out a complaint form yesterday on their website and am now awaiting their response.

Hi! Have you thought of flying to Madrid? I took Renfe from Madrid to Sarria and a flight from Santiago to Madrid. Hope this helps!
It a bit off-topic but I hope people have gotten a bit more considerate about taking (unnecessary) flights these days. On such short distances trains and buses are IMHO a much better alternative.

Thank you everyone. Renfe updated its schedule a couple of days ago and I was able to find a train from Santiago to Chamartin, then will catch another for the airport.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@junie,

If you bought a ticket there may be a free ride to the airport attached. There is a QR code with the ticket if it is an AVE train that you scan at the Cercanias entry point which allows a free ride to the airport. You don't need an additional ticket if you travel within 2 hours of your arrival at Chamartin. Not all turnstiles have the scanner. You need to scan both getting on and again when getting off at the airport toget out of the train area.

@junie,

If you bought a ticket there may be a free ride to the airport attached. There is a QR code with the ticket if it is an AVE train that you scan at the Cercanias entry point which allows a free ride to the airport. You don't need an additional ticket if you travel within 2 hours of your arrival at Chamartin. Not all turnstiles have the scanner. You need to scan both getting on and again when getting off at the airport toget out of the train area.
Yep, I see that and thanks for the scanning info!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back