• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having trouble booking SNCF tickets

stygarfield

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 - september
Hey all!

I am having an issue with booking tickets online with SNCF.

I found two tickets from Paris to SJPdP on the 14th for a total of €100. Great deal. The raileurope website wanted like 240 dollars!

I can get through all the steps, verified by visa and everything, but it always encounters an error when processing the payment. There is more than enough room on the card, and the bank says everything should be fine.

Has anyone else had issues like this? We would like to get the cheaper tickets if possible!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Try another, different credit card. Some webpages are moody; they don't like certain card types.
It is the same in France with some ticket vending machines at terminals.

Unfortunately we tried both our cards (both visas) to no avail.

Would we get the same price if we went up to the station tomorrow?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Two things:

One ... try buying from Paris to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP as two separate tickets. The website doesn't like sharp corners in the route. You cannot get a reservation for TER trains such what services the Bayonne to SJPdP route.

Two ... If you are from USA ... talk to your bank. A lot of people have trouble because there is a requirement to get an electronic handshake. Paypal seems to be an effective end run. You could also engage the services of a travel agent.

Price for TER trains is the same all the time. Tickets are good for 90 days.

TGV and Intercites trains ... price changes according to demand. The highest price will be on the day of travel.

The thing is that I can get all the way through the booking process - it just hangs up when I put in my visa information. The bank says it should be fine but it still doesn't go through.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have three times used used 'Captaintrain', now 'Trainline', to buy these tickets. Simple and clear. Always competent and prompt.
I have never paid more than 40 Euros, but I usually book at least two months in advance as tickets get more expensive the closer it gets to the departure date.
https://www.trainline.eu/search/
Regards
Gerard

EDIT.
They are currently showing 2nd class seats available on the 7.28am train for E39.90

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Uhmmm...try changing the browser (Firefox, Explorer, etc.). Some webpages are designed with a particular browser in mind.
Be sure all the pesky associated programas (as flash) are updated.

I use Captain Train App in France last time in France it is awesome- it is only for france . Can book ticket on app and save barcode.. cancel... fee returned ... rebook... OR just look up train times.

My forst Camino coming up this week but I have already been to Bayonne from Paris on another trip .. it was easy ...

Oh and I should thank Gerard for this tip I got from him 3 years ago and used on shorter trip to France ... Thanks G

Anne

Anne

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Has anyone else had issues like this? We would like to get the cheaper tickets if possible!

Once I had the same issue with my Renfe ticket. I had to call my credit card company to resolve this. Anti-fraud software of your credit card company knows you are not in France, and the charge came from France. Red flag.

Also, make sure you notify your credit card company when you leave for France/Spain or your card may not be usable there.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.