• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heathrow transit time?

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
trying to find out how much time to allow for arriving at Terminal 5, collecting bagge, going through Customs, and getting to Terminal 2 for a flight to Porto. The online advice says nothing more specific than “allow plenty of time”. Would 4 hours be enough? Will be on different airlines. Thanks

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The issue at Heathrow is that all arriving passengers go through security screening, just like when you boarded the plane in North America or where ever. You go through security with your carry-on baggage. (Then there may be an immigration check; depends on passport and transit status.)Once you complete your connecting flight, then you collect your checked bag and go through Customs, which is trivial if you have nothing to declare.

My US West Coast flights through Heathrow generally are timed for a very short interval (less than an hour) - which I am not willing to risk. Rather, I take the four hour layover, and enjoy a bit of shopping with a very nice lunch (Gordon Ramsey has a restaurant in Terminal 5.)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,

Generally, you should allow 45 minutes to clear customs and collect your bags. On Heathrow Airport's Meeting someone page they say that once a plane has landed you should allow 30 to 40 minutes but longer at busy times. Link here if you want to look
https://www.heathrow.com/arrivals/meeting-points

Transferring to Terminal 2 would be no longer than 30 minutes from once you clear customs. Quoted from the website;
Heathrow Express trains are free for travel between Heathrow Central station (Terminals 2 & 3) and Terminal 5. There's a train every 15 minutes.
Frequent London Underground trains also run between the terminals. The transfer is only free if you use a Transport for London Oyster card or a contactless payment card.

Check-in for European flights is a suggested 2 hours and different airlines close check-in at different times, often 30 minutes before the flight is scheduled.

So allowing 45 minutes to clear customs and then catch the Heathrow Express (very well signposted and only a few minutes walk) you should reach Terminal 2 within an hour and 30 minutes, plenty of time to check in.

Buen Camino.

Allow 2.5 hours including passports, security and customs. If you end up with spare time, there are nice facilities to eat, drink, shop, relax or even shower. It's a big airport - but lots of people switch flights there, so the internal systems usually run smoothly (better than Paris for instance, which for most people is a destination rather than change point). Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the advice, we have 4 and 1/2 hours, worst case if the flight to the UK is massively late, the price of a new ticket works out to much less than the price difference for the through ticket. Fingers crossed...

Would 4 hours be enough?

Yes

I managed arrival at T2 to check-in/bag drop at T5 in about 1 hr in October 2017. The key is catching the Heathrow Express (ultimate destination Paddington) to T2/T3 - no charge - then a route march to T2.

And heaps of time for a meal with my London based family.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't forget that arrival time is the time the plane touches down on the tarmac. It can sometimes take 15 mins before you get off the plane.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back