• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hebridean Way

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi
Just wondering does anyone have experience of this walk? Im heading over early September just wondering what facilities are like it seems like there's very little by way of shops cheap places to eat and hostels. Im arriving onto the beach at Barra on a Sunday im wondering will anything be open as ive heard the really observe the sabbath on some of the islands. Any advice would be massively appreciated

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you like you can watch YouTube videos of LiamBrown who has walked the hebridean way he actually wild camps but sometimes watching videos can be a spoiler. There is quite a lot of information online.

Im arriving onto the beach at Barra on a Sunday

Flying in?

wondering will anything be open as ive heard the really observe the sabbath

Quick check on the local Co-operative there suggests no as it is open until 10pm. However individual businesses may chose to observe their personal beliefs.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Barra is a predominantly Catholic island and Sabbath observance is generally less of an issue than on Lewis and Harris to the north where most of the people are members of more observant Protestant churches.

I live in the Hebrides, and you will find that Barra, and the Southern Isles do not keep the Sabbath as strictly as Lewis and Harris. You should be able to find cafes and hotels open for food on Barra on the Sunday as well as the Co-op. If you need any more information you could PM me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I live in the Hebrides, and you will find that Barra, and the Southern Isles do not keep the Sabbath as strictly as Lewis and Harris. You should be able to find cafes and hotels open for food on Barra on the Sunday as well as the Co-op. If you need any more information you could PM me.
Thanks so much Catriona 😊

I walked the Heb Way in 2019 and it was one of the most SPECTACULAR experiences I have ever had. One of my walking friends and I said to each other afterwards, "Will we ever consider anything beautiful again? How could it possibly compare to the beauty of the Outer Hebrides?"

We used this guidebook: https://www.amazon.ca/Hebridean-Way...-Hebrides/dp/1852847271/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

We did have to do a lot of advance booking & planning and we used a wide array of accommodations - from bunkhouses to bothies to fancy hotels. Once we got stranded (double booking at a bunkhouse) and a taxi driver not only came to get us, but found us a place to stay. I also got help once from a hotel that was booked up; the person at the front desk called around until they found us a spot and dropped us off there, free of charge! We also did a lot of self-catering - loading up at grocery stores and doing our own cooking, etc. We often found that other walkers and cyclists were happy to cook together and share meals.

My favourite hostels were the ones that are part of the Gatliff Trust: https://gatliff.org.uk/ - in particular, Rhenigidale (although you have to schlep all of your food over the Postman's Pass and it's no joke; we met a cyclist there who didn't know it was without resources nearby and had nothing, so it was lucky for him that six of us showed up with stew provisions and whisky for all!). Honourable mention to Berneray, which is right on the beach.

I don't remember any problems on Sundays although it is true that most Lewis and Harris businesses are closed on Sunday. But a combo of advance planning & the kindness of locals will get you everything you need. I loved the Outer Hebrides deeply and I can't wait to go back. Happy to answer any other questions, although it looks like you've got a local upthread who will know more!

I should also say that there is probably less need for advance booking & planning if you're on your own or a party of two. We were six, which occasionally took some finagling!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Heb Way in 2019 and it was one of the most SPECTACULAR experiences I have ever had. One of my walking friends and I said to each other afterwards, "Will we ever consider anything beautiful again? How could it possibly compare to the beauty of the Outer Hebrides?"

We used this guidebook: https://www.amazon.ca/Hebridean-Way...-Hebrides/dp/1852847271/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

We did have to do a lot of advance booking & planning and we used a wide array of accommodations - from bunkhouses to bothies to fancy hotels. Once we got stranded (double booking at a bunkhouse) and a taxi driver not only came to get us, but found us a place to stay. I also got help once from a hotel that was booked up; the person at the front desk called around until they found us a spot and dropped us off there, free of charge! We also did a lot of self-catering - loading up at grocery stores and doing our own cooking, etc. We often found that other walkers and cyclists were happy to cook together and share meals.

My favourite hostels were the ones that are part of the Gatliff Trust: https://gatliff.org.uk/ - in particular, Rhenigidale (although you have to schlep all of your food over the Postman's Pass and it's no joke; we met a cyclist there who didn't know it was without resources nearby and had nothing, so it was lucky for him that six of us showed up with stew provisions and whisky for all!). Honourable mention to Berneray, which is right on the beach.

I don't remember any problems on Sundays although it is true that most Lewis and Harris businesses are closed on Sunday. But a combo of advance planning & the kindness of locals will get you everything you need. I loved the Outer Hebrides deeply and I can't wait to go back. Happy to answer any other questions, although it looks like you've got a local upthread who will know more!
Thanks so much for the advice this is all really encouraging 😊

I live in the Hebrides, and you will find that Barra, and the Southern Isles do not keep the Sabbath as strictly as Lewis and Harris. You should be able to find cafes and hotels open for food on Barra on the Sunday as well as the Co-op. If you need any more information you could PM m

Hi Catriona can i ask you? Would taxis be running on barra on the Sunday? I need to get to the supermarket after my flight and then to Ardmhor ferry for the 3.30 crossing

Hi Wandaline, I am quite sure taxis will be available on the Sunday on Barra. If you check out Airport information for Barra Airport, the phone numbers are on this site. Good luck

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi
Just wondering does anyone have experience of this walk? Im heading over early September just wondering what facilities are like it seems like there's very little by way of shops cheap places to eat and hostels. Im arriving onto the beach at Barra on a Sunday im wondering will anything be open as ive heard the really observe the sabbath on some of the islands. Any advice would be massively appreciated
Hi, I just started looking at this route. it looks beautiful. One question - if I walk south to north - what is my plan for getting back to where I started or what are my options for making a return? It looks pretty isolated at the northern tip. Just looking for ideas. Thank you,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.