• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello, buenas ........... The Way with my dog?

MikeyG33

Time of past OR future Camino
I am new to the forum. I am not new to enquiring about taking my dog on the Camino. Please do not offer me advice/opinion in that regard.
I intend to walk shortly after Easter 2022 with my girlfriend and ............. our dog. She is a Vizsla and will be 2 years next April. We are already walking 5 to 8 kms most days so in 14 months 10 to 20 kms will not be a problem.
We are not in a hurry and will spend 2/3 nights in some places. Currently I am looking at 58 nights. We will make use of both Correos and luggage forwarding services. On the Camino, she (her name is Guapa), will eat around 20kgs of food so the logistics of getting that to strategic destinations is one of my challenges.
My main challenge is dog friendly accommodation. We will be using hotels - not alburgues.
Does anybody here have experience walking with a dog? I am happy to receive your positive suggestions. Not about whether I should/shouldn't, but suggestions of accommodations; hints and tips relating to walking with a dog; experiences of luggage forwarders, towns that are worthy of more than one night (and why). It is tempting to put Burgos/Pamplona/Leon as multiple night cities, but we have already been to them on other occasions.
If you got this far .......... thanks for persevering. A reminder - I don't need opinion/advice on whether or not to take her. Just accommodations/places of note. I have posted an image of Guapa ......... isn't she gorgeous?
Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 15.53.13.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 15.53.13.png
    911.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have a search on here for several previous threads on this subject; most of which will advise against taking a dog with you. (Which is, to be honest, my opinion also)

Then have a look here for some practical advice as to how you might make a success of the venture:

You can even get a canine credential.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Guapa is stunning!! I do not know the logistics of walking the Camino with a dog but I encountered the same couple with their labrador over several weeks and he seemed to be ok. One thing I would say is the Camino is rocks, sharp stones, tarmac, mud etc and can be very hard on a dogs paws. The couple with the lab had boots for him which he did not wear all the time, just when the going was a bit tough for him20190624_095015.jpg20190624_095020.jpg

My dog Raider is an Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) and is also a Service Dog. As you can see from Henrythedogs reply, there is quite a similarity between Spain and the USA when it comes to acceptance of Service Dogs.
Here's my take: Although I have not taken Raider on Camino, he does go with me nearly everywhere. To be honest, I sorely miss him when we can not be together. On each of my Caminos I have come across many stray dogs and on one occasion a car drove up to where I was standing, took a dog out of the car, put down a bowl of food and drove off. I waited to see if the driver would come back, but no luck.
I was tempted to adopt the little feller and have him walk with me. I was on the CP at the time and about to cross the river into Spain. I did not.
On Camino, I've witnessed pilgrims walking with dogs and, upon talking with them, find that the dog was a stray and, because they fed the dog, it followed them...sometimes many kms. On occasion to SDC and, or Finisterra. Not thinking the situation through there are many abandoned dogs in both locations. I know of only one lad, I think from Germany, that did all the paperwork necessary to adopt "his" dog and take him back to Germany.
Buen "a man's best friend" Camino
Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Guapa is stunning!! I do not know the logistics of walking the Camino with a dog but I encountered the same couple with their labrador over several weeks and he seemed to be ok. One thing I would say is the Camino is rocks, sharp stones, tarmac, mud etc and can be very hard on a dogs paws. The couple with the lab had boots for him which he did not wear all the time, just when the going was a bit tough for himView attachment 93237View attachment 93238
Thanks. I am introducing Guapa to boots/socks (she hates already). Of the YouTube vlogs I have seen there is mixed terrain so the footwear will be pretty much like the lovely Lab in the images.

My dog Raider is an Australian Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) and is also a Service Dog. As you can see from Henrythedogs reply, there is quite a similarity between Spain and the USA when it comes to acceptance of Service Dogs.
Here's my take: Although I have not taken Raider on Camino, he does go with me nearly everywhere. To be honest, I sorely miss him when we can not be together. On each of my Caminos I have come across many stray dogs and on one occasion a car drove up to where I was standing, took a dog out of the car, put down a bowl of food and drove off. I waited to see if the driver would come back, but no luck.
I was tempted to adopt the little feller and have him walk with me. I was on the CP at the time and about to cross the river into Spain. I did not.
On Camino, I've witnessed pilgrims walking with dogs and, upon talking with them, find that the dog was a stray and, because they fed the dog, it followed them...sometimes many kms. On occasion to SDC and, or Finisterra. Not thinking the situation through there are many abandoned dogs in both locations. I know of only one lad, I think from Germany, that did all the paperwork necessary to adopt "his" dog and take him back to Germany.
Buen "a man's best friend" Camino
Arn
Thanks Arn, we have a property in southern Spain and are aware that the Spanish (not all of them, of course), view 'a dog is for Christmas; not for life'. Dogs are pretty cute - meet/get fed/follow/return home/repeat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have had dogs for twenty or so years and I like them.

But I am curious why your dog needs to accompany you on your longish Camino? Yes, I know 58 plus days of Guapa missing you and you missing Guapa, but ???
I am sorry, I don't understand the question.

I am sorry, I don't understand the question.
Don’t shoot the messenger.

I think he’s saying that your dog, no matter how much you love her and she looks to you for food (that goes for Labradors, certainly), she cannot decide to go on a 40-day walk.

Apart from you wanting to, why are you taking her?

To clarify, I’m just giving an alternate interpretation of the question. I don’t care why you’re planning to do it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am new to the forum.
In my first job I was told about the '6 P's rule'. They are ....... Perfect Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance. So here I am planning a trip that I think will begin in St Jean shortly after Easter in 2022.
I intend to walk with my girlfriend and ............. our dog. She is a Vizsla and will be 2 years next April. We are already walking 5 to 8 kms most days so in 14 months 10 to 20 kms will not be a problem.
We are not in a hurry and will spend 2/3 nights in some places. Currently I am looking at 58 nights. We will make use of both Correos and luggage forwarding services. On the Camino, she (her name is Guapa), will eat around 20kgs of food so the logistics of getting that to strategic destinations is one of my challenges.
My main challenge is dog friendly accommodation. We will be using hotels - not alburgues.
Does anybody here have experience walking with a dog? I am happy to receive your positive suggestions. Not about whether I should/shouldn't, but suggestions of accommodations; hints and tips relating to walking with a dog; experiences of luggage forwarders, towns that are worthy of more than one night (and why). It is tempting to put Burgos/Pamplona/Leon as multiple night cities, but we have already been to them on other occasions.
If you got this far .......... thanks for persevering. I have posted an image of Guapa ......... isn't she gorgeous?
Thank you.
Don't forget that we're out of the EU now so existing pet passports go out of the window - have you looked at the new regimen for taking animals to mainland Europe?
Also insurance in case she falls sick or has an accident?
And good luck with finding a Spanish hotel that will take a (fairly) large dog for 2/3 nights.
I like dogs but think taking a dog along the Camino, unless it's a guide dog or support animal, smacks a bit of self indulgence - just my tuppence worth of course!

Don't forget that we're out of the EU now so existing pet passports go out of the window - have you looked at the new regimen for taking animals to mainland Europe?
Also insurance in case she falls sick or has an accident?
And good luck with finding a Spanish hotel that will take a (fairly) large dog for 2/3 nights.
I like dogs but think taking a dog along the Camino, unless it's a guide dog or support animal, smacks a bit of self indulgence - just my tuppence worth of course!
The OP’s already in Spain. ‘Guapa’ is ‘handsome’, or the female equivalent, in Castilian, so that addresses your first point.

As for the rest, it’s not simple.

I walked several days of a CF many years ago with a Croatian chap who had his (mostly) Labrador with him. She was 7 or 8 years old and clearly finding it difficult. He had the occasional shower in albergues whilst the dog stayed outside, but otherwise it was a tent in an out of the way place.

He said that passing through France was simple, the dog was welcomed. Spain was a whole different proposition.

Still, the OP lives in Spain, knows the culture and undoubtedly speaks Spanish. That’s a head-start.

Better get good insurance then. A couple on my 1st Camino were stuck for days with their ill dog . The vet was many miles away , causing several taxi trips to the city while the dog remained in the animal hospital. And when I last saw them at that point the bill he racked up was over $300. dollars. Need I mention what the vet said.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes she is gorgeous.

In 2016 we walked a few days with a woman and her 2 beagles. She left the Camino and returned home at Logrono as it was becoming too difficult to find places where she could stay indoors with her dogs. Bigger towns have more options, smaller ones not so much. She found she was forced to camp out in her tent, rather than walk the extra km's to stay somewhere indoors and have the facilities of an albergue. With albergues not often an option she had to camp or pay more for hotels. Being dog lovers we helped her on the final nights looking after them while she had showers, bought food for them etc . That's hard to manage on your own. Her dogs were anxious being left outside waiting for her. There were also a few times when there was a giant barking/growling session with local Spanish dogs - as she often let them walk off leash and the dogs would run ahead into other dogs territory.
In Logrono she expected to take a train to go back to Germany, but found they wouldnt allow her dogs on, so she had to take a taxi to the border.
In 2017 we saw a couple with their German Shepherd, they seemed to be mainly camping out. The dog looked happy and healthy and enjoying the walk. We saw him on and off leash so I think they were careful to put him on leash when passing through villages. We saw them on and off for a few weeks so we were walking at similar pace, and the dog seemed to be walking just fine. They were carrying their packs and tent, and also looked fit and strong.
in 2019 we met up with 2 women and their 3 dogs at Portmarin. They had started in Sarria. They were Spanish and had a friend drop them there by car. They had chosen that start location because the last 100 kms offered more options to stay with their dogs, and the places were closer together. We played with them at the albergue, lovely happy lively dogs. They had done their homework and pre-booked each night in advance before leaving home.

So my observations:
Pre-book before you go so you know you have somewhere each night for your dog to stay with you - or take a tent. Make sure you dont book further apart than your dog can manage on a daily basis. There is not a hotel in every town/village.
Check out with luggage transfer company requirements. There are several companies, I've used Jacotrans, I think they are all pretty good. They need an exact and secure address to deliver to each day - so that may make camping out an issue.
There are some stretches of road walking - check those out beforehand and start early as the road surface gets very hot on sunny days, too hot for a hand, so very hot for a dogs foot.
A lot of the Way is crushed limestone paths - a bit tough on dog feet. My dogs can only walk on gravel roads for small distances up to 10 kms, before getting sore feet, so maybe you can look up some other path options, or put them in boots, I see you have bought those already. My dogs hate boots, but I have seen other dogs wearing them.
Be aware that the local dogs may rush out and challenge.
Unless your dog needs a special diet, I dont imagine buying food to be an issue, there are shops along the Way, and it is much easier going into shops etc when there are two of you..

Last edited:
The OP’s already in Spain. ‘Guapa’ is ‘handsome’, or the female equivalent, in Castilian, so that addresses your first point.

As for the rest, it’s not simple.

I walked several days of a CF many years ago with a Croatian chap who had his (mostly) Labrador with him. She was 7 or 8 years old and clearly finding it difficult. He had the occasional shower in albergues whilst the dog stayed outside, but otherwise it was a tent in an out of the way place.

He said that passing through France was simple, the dog was welcomed. Spain was a whole different proposition.

Still, the OP lives in Spain, knows the culture and undoubtedly speaks Spanish. That’s a head-start.
My bad, from the OP's profile I thought they were based in London.

I am new to the forum.
In my first job I was told about the '6 P's rule'. They are ....... Perfect Preparation Prevents P*** Poor Performance. So here I am planning a trip that I think will begin in St Jean shortly after Easter in 2022.
I intend to walk with my girlfriend and ............. our dog. She is a Vizsla and will be 2 years next April. We are already walking 5 to 8 kms most days so in 14 months 10 to 20 kms will not be a problem.
If you got this far .......... thanks for persevering. I have posted an image of Guapa ......... isn't she gorgeous?
Thank you.
Really, please be advised not to. Sorry to dampen enthusiasm, but please don't. I do of course understand the desire for her company.

Hi there @MikeyG33 , I have a friend who walked from Verona to SdC with his dog this past summer+ autumn (2020). When he wasn't sleeping in a tent, together with other peregrinos he rented an apartment for the night. Most of the time they made enquiries on arrival in a village or they used air B&B and other internet sites.

Happy planning!
Lovingkindness

IMG_2485r.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there @MikeyG33 , I have a friend who walked from Verona to SdC with his dog this past summer+ autumn (2020). When he wasn't sleeping in a tent, together with other peregrinos he rented an apartment for the night. Most of the time they made enquiries on arrival in a village or they used air B&B and other internet sites.

Happy planning!
Lovingkindness

View attachment 93314
Thank you very much, I will certainly AirBnB when staying multiple nights. We prefer the privacy and flexibility. Planning is fun, I think it heightens the anticipation.

€60,-
Yes she is gorgeous.

In 2016 we walked a few days with a woman and her 2 beagles. She left the Camino and returned home at Logrono as it was becoming too difficult to find places where she could stay indoors with her dogs. Bigger towns have more options, smaller ones not so much. She found she was forced to camp out in her tent, rather than walk the extra km's to stay somewhere indoors and have the facilities of an albergue. With albergues not often an option she had to camp or pay more for hotels. Being dog lovers we helped her on the final nights looking after them while she had showers, bought food for them etc . That's hard to manage on your own. Her dogs were anxious being left outside waiting for her. There were also a few times when there was a giant barking/growling session with local Spanish dogs - as she often let them walk off leash and the dogs would run ahead into other dogs territory.
In Logrono she expected to take a train to go back to Germany, but found they wouldnt allow her dogs on, so she had to take a taxi to the border.
In 2017 we saw a couple with their German Shepherd, they seemed to be mainly camping out. The dog looked happy and healthy and enjoying the walk. We saw him on and off leash so I think they were careful to put him on leash when passing through villages. We saw them on and off for a few weeks so we were walking at similar pace, and the dog seemed to be walking just fine. They were carrying their packs and tent, and also looked fit and strong.
in 2019 we met up with 2 women and their 3 dogs at Portmarin. They had started in Sarria. They were Spanish and had a friend drop them there by car. They had chosen that start location because the last 100 kms offered more options to stay with their dogs, and the places were closer together. We played with them at the albergue, lovely happy lively dogs. They had done their homework and pre-booked each night in advance before leaving home.

So my observations:
Pre-book before you go so you know you have somewhere each night for your dog to stay with you - or take a tent. Make sure you dont book further apart than your dog can manage on a daily basis. There is not a hotel in every town/village.
Check out with luggage transfer company requirements. There are several companies, I've used Jacotrans, I think they are all pretty good. They need an exact and secure address to deliver to each day - so that may make camping out an issue.
There are some stretches of road walking - check those out beforehand and start early as the road surface gets very hot on sunny days, too hot for a hand, so very hot for a dogs foot.
A lot of the Way is crushed limestone paths - a bit tough on dog feet. My dogs can only walk on gravel roads for small distances up to 10 kms, before getting sore feet, so maybe you can look up some other path options, or put them in boots, I see you have bought those already. My dogs hate boots, but I have seen other dogs wearing them.
Unless your dog needs a special diet, I dont imagine buying food to be an issue, there are shops along the Way, and it is much easier going into shops etc when there are two of you..
Thank you Anamiri, I am finding the planning phase most interesting. I have already communicated with lots of hotels. Sadly, two have come back to say that it is unlikely that they will survive the pandemic and the consequent loss of income.
Yes she is gorgeous.

So my observations:
Thank you Anamiri. I am enjoying the planning and will attempt to pre-book hotels. We will not necessarily be doing the 'established' legs. 20km a day will be our maximum - Guapa will do more potentially but her hooman mummy and daddy may not! I have already communicated with lots of hotels. Sadly, two have said that they may not be able to survive the pandemic. A lovely hotel in Viloria and one in Galicia. Some days we may only do 7/8/9 kms. Boadilla to Fromista is only 6kms. Jacotrans gets good reviews from the Facebook Camino groups also. Guapa hates wearing her coat on cold days here - shoes and socks are going to be even more challenging! She will eat pretty much anything but I am keen to keep her on her current food (at this time). Thanks again, I appreciate your advices.

6Ps.

Plan ahead on how to handle your dog getting lost. I think it was on this forum that I read about a dog running away from a woman when fireworks or firecrackers went off.

Microchip. Harness instead of or in addition to a collar. Have a pouch or two attach to it labelled "open if found". Have a leash and maybe some snacks in it. Also plenty of contact information, even of friends. Have your itinerary in there (maybe someone might deliver your dog to your next hotel). Have a list of instructions your dog knows (sit, stay, come, etc) with the equivalent in various languages so finders can give your dog instructions in the language it understands. Of course have all printed information in local languages, English and various other common pilgrim languages. On you have a list of veterinarians and shelters. You get the idea.

Or read this thread. It has tips on how to make things go smoother.

Better get good insurance then. A couple on my 1st Camino were stuck for days with their ill dog . The vet was many miles away , causing several taxi trips to the city while the dog remained in the animal hospital. And when I last saw them at that point the bill he racked up was over $300. dollars. Need I mention what the vet said.
Thanks Lynn, the moment I walk through my Vet's door here in London the bill is going to be over $300! Of course I have great insurance. Currently it covers Worldwide. With all the Brexit/Shengan shenanigans going on who knows what the situation will be in April next year?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
6Ps.

Plan ahead on how to handle your dog getting lost. I think it was on this forum that I read about a dog running away from a woman when fireworks or firecrackers went off.

Microchip. Harness instead of or in addition to a collar. Have a pouch or two attach to it labelled "open if found". Have a leash and maybe some snacks in it. Also plenty of contact information, even of friends. Have your itinerary in there (maybe someone might deliver your dog to your next hotel). Have a list of instructions your dog knows (sit, stay, come, etc) with the equivalent in various languages so finders can give your dog instructions in the language it understands. Of course have all printed information in local languages, English and various other common pilgrim languages. On you have a list of veterinarians and shelters. You get the idea.

Or read this thread. It has tips on how to make things go smoother.
Thanks Rick, she knows 'lunch' in three languages so far! Some great points you raise and I will add to the planning list. Interestingly, nobody has come up with any of the in formation I requested. I must learn the art of a catchy headline?

I am new to the forum. I am not new to enquiring about taking my dog on the Camino. Please do not offer me advice/opinion in that regard.
I intend to walk shortly after Easter 2022 with my girlfriend and ............. our dog. She is a Vizsla and will be 2 years next April. We are already walking 5 to 8 kms most days so in 14 months 10 to 20 kms will not be a problem.
If you got this far .......... thanks for persevering. A reminder - I don't need opinion/advice on whether or not to take her. Just accommodations/places of note. I have posted an image of Guapa ......... isn't she gorgeous?
Thank you.
You guys are welcome at our place in La Portela. We LOVE dogs!

@MikeyG33: I see your ask as ‘does anybody have experience walking with a dog?

A legitimate question. And forum members will always try the best to answer any question (with lots of off topic asides), but I suspect that no one here has walked with a dog—the best we can do is talk about people we have met who have walked with a dog; and that does not meet your information needs. I have some 350 days in France/Spain and met on Spanish pair in 2007 walking with dog and camping the Frances, and one couple in France who walked with a small dog but shuttled a car from stop to stop and I think went way of track for accommodations (Vezelay). And I met one Englishman who came off the Norte after a local dog chewed a big enough gash in his leg that he needed stitches from a hospital. That is sum total of my camino experience with ‘man’s best friend’. Oh, one blog from an Irish lady that took her dog in winter; maybe some answers there but from 2009 so dated. http://kaybeetravels.blogspot.com/2009/01/eire-to-france-to-spain-to-pamplona-to.html

Also, this is an English language forum (lots of Americans, Australians, New Zealand), so many of us with dogs could never do logistics from our homes (Oregon for me) to take our dogs with us.

I don’t have a suggestion for a better source. Maybe someone else has a better forum (Spanish dog??) for you to post for the answers you seek. Good luck!!

PS: and you were wise to head off comments about whether you should take your dog; that would have brought out scores of opinions and still no help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@MikeyG33: I see your ask as ‘does anybody have experience walking with a dog?

A legitimate question. And forum members will always try the best to answer any question (with lots of off topic asides), but I suspect that no one here has walked with a dog—the best we can do is talk about people we have met who have walked with a dog; and that does not meet your information needs. I have some 350 days in France/Spain and met on Spanish pair in 2007 walking with dog and camping the Frances, and one couple in France who walked with a small dog but shuttled a car from stop to stop and I think went way of track for accommodations (Vezelay). And I met one Englishman who came off the Norte after a local dog chewed a big enough gash in his leg that he needed stitches from a hospital. That is sum total of my camino experience with ‘man’s best friend’. Oh, one blog from an Irish lady that took her dog in winter; maybe some answers there but from 2009 so dated. http://kaybeetravels.blogspot.com/2009/01/eire-to-france-to-spain-to-pamplona-to.html

Also, this is an English language forum (lots of Americans, Australians, New Zealand), so many of us with dogs could never do logistics from our homes (Oregon for me) to take our dogs with us.

I don’t have a suggestion for a better source. Maybe someone else has a better forum (Spanish dog??) for you to post for the answers you seek. Good luck!!

PS: and you were wise to head off comments about whether you should take your dog; that would have brought out scores of opinions and still no help.
If you read up the thread a bit you would find this. The Santiago-based dog charity specialising in ‘perregrinos’. (Two ‘r’s, a pun on perros) https://apaca.paradoxahumana.com/albergues-para-perregrinos

I’m not going to buy into this thread except to report the experiences of my friend (let’s call her “Anna” for reasons that will become obvious) who attempted to walk the Camino Portuguese with her small dog. Flew from Germany to Lisbon (dog transported at great cost). Anna had trouble finding dog friendly accommodation and resorted to smuggling the dog inside (lapdog, had never been exposed to being left outside in a kennel). After a few days the dog refused to walk. Or even move. Anna had to carry her. Anna gave up when the dog managed to get under a bed one morning and refused to come out. So then Anna had to get the dog back to Germany. Anna rearranged her flight home (from SDC). Of course there was a hefty fee to change the date. Then Anna had to transport said dog to SDC to catch the flight. Bus companies refused entry (no dogs allowed apparently). So a small fortune to make the trip by taxi. Then could not find accommodation in SDC willing to allow the dog entry. Again resorted to smuggling it inside, but had to use an expensive hotel where she was less likely to be noticed.
By the time Anna got home she swears the dog Camino cost her more than all her other many caminos combined.

But she does tell the story well!

Last edited:
I’m not going to buy into this thread except to report the experiences of my friend (let’s call her “Anna” for reasons that will become obvious) who attempted to walk the Camino Portuguese with her small dog. Flew from Germany to Lisbon (dog transported at great cost). Anna had trouble finding dog friendly accommodation and resorted to smuggling the dog inside (lapdog, had never been exposed to being left outside in a kennel). After a few days the dog refused to walk. Or even move. Anna had to carry her. Anna gave up when the dog managed to get under a bed one morning and refused to come out. So then Anna had to get the dog back to Germany. Anna rearranged her flight home (from SDC). Of course there was a hefty fee to change the date. Then Anna had to transport said dog to SDC to catch the flight. Bus companies refused entry (no dogs allowed apparently). So a small fortune to make the trip by taxi. Then could not find accommodation in SDC willing to allow the dog entry. Again resorted to smuggling it inside, but had to use an expensive hotel where she was less likely to be noticed.
By the time Anna got home she swears the dog Camino cost her more than all her other many caminos combined.

But she does tell the story well!
Thanks Kanga, interesting story. I know that non of this will be 'easy'. Of course we will never do anything to endanger the wellbeing of our little girl. We do have lots of flexibilities to fall back on. We are not in a hurry so we can flex our timings depending upon all our energy levels. We are not dependent upon alburgues. I intend to walk the whole way. If either Guapa or my girlfriend tire then they can quit at any time - or take an extended break, or rent a car and meet me downline. Whatever. Nothing is mandatory and it is an experience we want to enjoy, not endure. I/we have done Everest Base Camp/Matterhorn/Mont Blanc/Machu Picchu so hiking is not the issue. Guapa liking/not liking her Ruffwear socks and bootees could be the deciding factor! Best wishes.

€60,-
Two observations.
*Whilst on the Camino Norte I recall a girl with trailer and two dog's. A Husky type complete with its own small backpack! and a smaller dog. I bumped into them a couple of times. Crossing on the ferry from Laredo all was fine. But I saw her again just before the village of Nueva. She was clearly upset and had been looking for the Husky for a day or so. It was not on a leash, had been spooked whilst they entered the village as there was a celebration going on and loud fireworks were being let off. The Husky ran off, the girls main focus now was trying to locate the dog which from the terrain I doubted she would be able to do.
*There is a path that runs from Lyme Regis (SW coast, UK) along the coast to Seaton in Devon UK. It is a long walk much of it running along above the high tide mark. One summer I took my dog to do the entire walk. Towards the end I had to carry him - man carries dog for a walk - as the stones had worn his pads red raw. That was a new one on me ( and him) and I learnt a lesson. Point is he was off his feet for a couple of days whilst they healed up again.
Just two "What If's" to consider.
Buen camino to the both of you.
Don.

Two observations.
*Whilst on the Camino Norte I recall a girl with trailer and two dog's. A Husky type complete with its own small backpack! and a smaller dog. I bumped into them a couple of times. Crossing on the ferry from Laredo all was fine. But I saw her again just before the village of Nueva. She was clearly upset and had been looking for the Husky for a day or so. It was not on a leash, had been spooked whilst they entered the village as there was a celebration going on and loud fireworks were being let off. The Husky ran off, the girls main focus now was trying to locate the dog which from the terrain I doubted she would be able to do.
*There is a path that runs from Lyme Regis (SW coast, UK) along the coast to Seaton in Devon UK. It is a long walk much of it running along above the high tide mark. One summer I took my dog to do the entire walk. Towards the end I had to carry him - man carries dog for a walk - as the stones had worn his pads red raw. That was a new one on me ( and him) and I learnt a lesson. Point is he was off his feet for a couple of days whilst they healed up again.
Just two "What If's" to consider.
Buen camino to the both of you.
Don.
Thanks Don, it is the terrain that gives me most concern. I know the path you mention and there is similar terrain on the South Downs Way. I am waiting for our favourite online giant to deliver me some shoes to go with these socks. We will try them out in Richmond Park over the next few weeks. The way she tries to disown all the coats/fleeces/body warmers we have bought her I feel I am in for a bit of a challenge. Temperament wise we are lucky as nothing spooks her. We had Chinese New Year fireworks last night very close by and she doesn't bat any of her eyelids (!). A low flying Chinook gets her attention sometimes. She will be c21kg by the time we do the walk so much as i love her ................. Best wishes.

Attachments

• IMG_8685.jpg
    IMG_8685.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Hi Mikey, my wife and me walked in 2015 with our dog Grattan from Barcelona to Burgos. We just loved it and I'm sure our dog loved it too. Although it can be hard sometimes (but hé, who is walking a camino because it is so easy...) it is something I can recommend.
Before I walked wit our dog, I did walk on my own for 3 months. Then my wife and Grattan came and we walked like a month together. For me it was a total change. Only after a week with my wife and dog I suddenly noticed that all my attention went to the well being of Grattan, while I forgot myself and ending up not drinking and eating enough. That was a good lesson for me. But walking with a dog forces you to watch him/her and adapt to its needs, just like with any partner. So don't plan to much. It can become too hot, you might see that your dog is tired and want only shorter days, or the opposite. Ones in a good rythm together, it will not be easy, but still great!

Finding a place is not always easy. But you can always phone any place and ask. We always found a place, but also took a small tent just in case.

And by now, we have our own albergue where dogs are welcome too. Every year we have about 6 people walking with a dog, nearly all of them were very happy to do this. One couple had to stop because they found out it was too much for their dog. Our albergue is on (the end of) the camino Primitivo. While on the Frances, it is a 13 kms detour to enter the Primitivo from where you can continue. You are welcome.

Enjoy your camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Mikey, my wife and me walked in 2015 with our dog Grattan from Barcelona to Burgos. We just loved it and I'm sure our dog loved it too. Although it can be hard sometimes (but hé, who is walking a camino because it is so easy...) it is something I can recommend.
Before I walked wit our dog, I did walk on my own for 3 months. Then my wife and Grattan came and we walked like a month together. For me it was a total change. Only after a week with my wife and dog I suddenly noticed that all my attention went to the well being of Grattan, while I forgot myself and ending up not drinking and eating enough. That was a good lesson for me. But walking with a dog forces you to watch him/her and adapt to its needs, just like with any partner. So don't plan to much. It can become too hot, you might see that your dog is tired and want only shorter days, or the opposite. Ones in a good rythm together, it will not be easy, but still great!

Finding a place is not always easy. But you can always phone any place and ask. We always found a place, but also took a small tent just in case.

And by now, we have our own albergue where dogs are welcome too. Every year we have about 6 people walking with a dog, nearly all of them were very happy to do this. One couple had to stop because they found out it was too much for their dog. Our albergue is on (the end of) the camino Primitivo. While on the Frances, it is a 13 kms detour to enter the Primitivo from where you can continue. You are welcome.

Enjoy your camino!
Thanks Thomas, so many Caminos - so little time! I was in the Ger a few years ago and I got chatting with a Spanish guy who was one one of the Caminos through Montesquiou. We were in La Rioja a few years ago and the Camino crossed a road we were on. Four of us got out of the car and walked a couple of kilometres. Does that qualify me to not be a total novice?!

Just really a dog goes walking story from a dog lover. I have shown my dog (Oscar) Guapa's picture and he has swiped positively.....he wants to post on the "meeting the one" thread.
My parents had a dog (Monty) and my Grandparents had a dog (Major). They lived about 10 miles apart and both dogs met up weekly on family visits. They were taken for park walks and loved each others company. Monty was taken by car every week and looked forward to his day out.
One day my father couldn't find Monty and a search was without success. A day of worry was relieved with a telephone call from Staple Hill police station (a rural police station miles from my grandparents). They had Monty. My father was taken to the stables where, lying in the hay, was Monty. So exhausted that all he could do was raise his head and wag his tail.
He had tried to get to see his "mate" (a journey by memory) and taken a wrong turn and must have walked for too many miles to count.

Last edited:
This response on a previous dogs on the Camino thread makes some good points.

My words may be a bit direct and sounds rude, but you should answer that question honestly to yourself.

Would you walk on the Camino with someone who is totally dependent on you?

Whose water and food you have to carry, but still do not know if he will eat it at all because he is not used to it.

Who can not ask for help by himself, nobody and nowhere?

With someone who can not go to the restaurant or the supermarket with you, because he is not welcome.

With someone you can never leave even a minute alone, without help from others, because he maybe attacked.

Who can normally never sleep in the same house than you.

With someone you have to carry by yourself in the case he suddenly can not walk, because nearly nobody will let him in the bus, the train or the taxi.

With someone who will be kicked into a terrible place, if you can´t take care of him for days or weeks, because you are ill or have an accident..

For me, I would say to this "someone":

I can not take this responsibility and I don´t want someone treat you this way, because I love you.

Mickey, One of my brothers had a Vizsla and he took it bird hunting as it was a good retriever. He also liked that their extremely short fur made the shedding problem almost nil. His dog unfortunately had a habit of eating rocks used for landscaping in the yard and had two surgeries to remove them, but still lived a long life.
Years later, his daughter now has a Vizsla because of her good memories of that breed growing up. I just received a family photo today, in fact.
IMG_20210212_162214~2.jpg

As my previous post mentions, I am a dog lover. My dog and myself are joined at the hip. There are not many minutes of the day when we are not inches away from each other. We rely on each other, no more so than this past year.
As the OP is walking in their own country I can only relate to myself and my best bud walking in mine. His walks are off the lead and I always know he is safe and enjoying himself. I would only restrict walks to a length comfortable for him and not of one that required days away. He wouldn't take kindly to that and neither would I.
If I was to undertake a walk I wouldn't take him as he wouldn't be conditioned to walking consistently over changeable terrain.
That's just me...and i would have to consider him first, foremost and always.
I know the bond between owner and dog...mine is unbreakable.
@trecile i can only agree with the sentiments.

Well slowly but surely we’re going the way of all dog threads.

I’m taking my dog. (awaits
envy and admiration)
(Scales moral high ground). Don’t take your dog!
(Indignant) I’m taking my dog!
(Inaudible) Here are some people who have practical advice about taking dogs.
(Tumbleweed)
I’m taking my dog!
(Wearily) I know someone who met someone who wished they didn’t take their dog.
I’m taking my dog.

Repeat ad nauseam.

Some dog walkers manage the CF, and more try. Some who fail do so spectacularly. Much like life, really.

is there really much more to say on the subject?

Thank you.
This thread should have been very simple, the OP asked for advice from people who had brought their dogs on camino, what he didn't want is highlighted in bold above, as a moderator I confess to have dropped the ball on this thread by not having removed all posts that gave opinions and advice on what the OP didn't want. Please read the OP and give the advise asked for or just ignore the thread.

@wayfarer, thanks for the reminder to look at the original post. It's easy to get caught up in reading all the pros and cons of bringing a dog along on the Camino and just start responding to all the other replies, forgetting the original question.
You have made a very good point that I see in hindsight, as I am sure will many others.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mickey, One of my brothers had a Vizsla and he took it bird hunting as it was a good retriever. He also liked that their extremely short fur made the shedding problem almost nil. His dog unfortunately had a habit of eating rocks used for landscaping in the yard and had two surgeries to remove them, but still lived a long life.
Years later, his daughter now has a Vizsla because of her good memories of that breed growing up. I just received a family photo today, in fact.
View attachment 93408
Thank you Chrissy, they are wonderful dogs. If somebody asks me 'what kind of dog is that?', I say 'It is not a dog, it is a Vizsla'. Easily the most 'human' of dogs with the most amazing ability to learn and please their hooman parents. Your niece looks very happy with her proud boy. Best wishes.

Hi @MikeyG33,
I've seen Guapa and would take her anywhere. The best of luck with your research.
There are a few threads of those who have walked with dogs who have knowledge of dog friendly accommodation and the availability of everything you need to know. Perhaps a direct approach to those who have experienced it would be best.
You sound great owners and have considered much of what you need to.
Every dog is different.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.