• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Norway and Portugal :)

Kris85

Backpacker & traveler
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning a trip from Bordeaux to Santiago de Compostela in march, april, may 2019.
Hello all people :)

I just discovered this community and currently reading about all the do's and don'ts. Short about me - im a 33 year old Norwegian who sadly was forced to quit work and put on disability benefits due to a agressiv inflammatory bowel disease & some mental issues. So; last year I decided to move to Porto, Portugal where i have been now for 4 months.

I love to travel. And I have been to 50+ countries. Beside my handicap, im quite fit and in good shape. But - the fact that i dont work, is challening. My disability benfits gives me tons of freedom, but to be "retired" at age of 33 is non-sense. So what should i do? Start to write? Study? Knit socks? Grow herbs? ;p

Time to THINK. So i tought, i might go for a pilgrim walk from Bordeaux to Santiago, and even all the way home to Porto in march/april/may +/-. I have all the time in the world, so even i walk 20-30 km a day here in Porto on a daily base. I dont feel for any rush. But my biggest challenge is that i go to the toilet 10-15 times a day. I dont mind doing it behind a bush or something, but if its open landscape, with nothing to hide behind; will stress me. Also; i dont know how easy it is to use "free toilets" along the rute. I guess bar owners & others is a bit tired of freeloaders - even i dont mind paying 50 cent or 1 euro for a toilet seat.

Im a neewbie here. From a "naked eye", i see a lot of abbreviations etc. i have no clue about. So lets read up !!

So what do you guys think? Is march a good time? Or is it to early? :)

Lots of love from me!
- Kris :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello and welcome!
Dress up as if you walk in bad Norwegian spring -autumn weather and March is ok. Be prepared for lots og mud, gamasjer (gaiters) is must.
As for the toilet thing, there are bushes most places and in early spring, fewer people are walking. Bring a small turspade to dig down what you leave behind. Does not weigh much and the use of it makes the camino a bit cleaner.

Hello and welcome!
Dress up as if you walk in bad Norwegian spring -autumn weather and March is ok. Be prepared for lots og mud, gamasjer (gaiters) is must.
As for the toilet thing, there are bushes most places and in early spring, fewer people are walking. Bring a small turspade to dig down what you leave behind. Does not weigh much and the use of it makes the camino a bit cleaner.

Thanks for your answer. I have a "kit" with a small shovel, dog-poop bags,
hand disinfection and paper in a practical rompetaske. =) Important to clean up after, yes. Nobody wants to see stuff like that laying around the trek.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.