• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello from Ontario, starting from Pamplona in 4 days

gerrypm

I will be arriving in Madrid on April 29, travelling to Pamplona on the 30th and will start my camino at that point. I am Gerry from Ontario, Canada. The snow has finally melted and there have been opportunities to get my legs and feet accustomed to lengthy walks. The nearest village to my home is 7.6 miles away, so the round trip provides a good target and an opportunity for coffee and a sandwich before the return. I still finish the 15 miles walking like a wounded crab, but can feel the improvement. I am in the far right couple of percent on the age bell-curve (69), but other than heart surgery several years ago have been blessed with good health. I have about 6 weeks for the journey. I have many apprehensions, but also a high level of anticipation. Plans include joining my sister and a couple of her friends in Pamplona - I am hoping they survive the Pyrenees. A question - I arrive in Madrid in mid-afternoon. Should I be able to arrange a flight directly to Pamplona or would an overnight in Madrid, followed by train, bus or plane on the 30th be a more sensible strategy? Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome Gerry,
You could fly to Pamplona on the same day on Iberia. There are a number of flights in the afternoon - they take 55 minutes and cost about 80€.
Pamplona has a tiny airport and if you got a flight from Madrid at 15h15 or 16h10 you would be able to get to the bus station to get the bus to Roncesvalles at 18h00.
If you are jetlagged you could stay in Pamplona for the night and get a taxi to Roncesvalles the next day.
Pilgrims who take the 18h00 bus to Roncesvalles rarely have the opportunity to see everything it has to offer. It would be really worthwhile to walk 3km up the road to the Ibaneta Pass where the road route and the Route Napoleon merge. Here you can see the monument to Roland and stunning views into France.
You will have time to explore the monastery complex, visit the museum and cloisters. Ask to see the reliquaries containing relics - bones of over 30 saints, thorns from the crown of thorns and relics from Charlemagne and Roland.
If you look left when walking up to the church, you will see an open field partially enclosed by an old stone wall. This is all that remains of the wall of the original hospice - and the cobbled street you walk on was built over the area where the enclosing wall used to stand.
If you look carefully at the stones in the bottom of the wall of the collegiate church - to the left of the door leading into the church - you will see a couple of stonemason's signs in the stones. These stones were recycled from the original hospice building.

“La arcaica piedra dormida vive de gloriosos ensueños.
Frailes que cruzan mustios, orando en silencio.
Cada piedra es un llanto. Cada piedra es un rezo.”

.[/i] "

"The archaic stone sleeps, lives of glorious dreams.
Friars crossing mustios, praying in silence.
Every stone is a cry. Every stone is a prayer"

Attachments

• Roncesvalles Signs 2.jpg
    Roncesvalles Signs 2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 163
Hi Gerry

Welcome. You could fly from Madrid to Pamplona but the flights may be very expensive at this short notice. As you say the other options are bus or train. Have a look at the web sites with prices and times:

TRAIN
To consult timetables and prices for trains from any city in Spain to Pamplona, you can look them up on the website http://www.renfe.com or call +34 902240202. The train departs from Atocha station. From Madrid airport you can get to Atocha station by metro.
Metro map: http://www.metromadrid.es/

COACH
The company is “Continental Auto” or “Conda”. It leaves from the “Avenida de las Américas” bus station (closest metro station has the same name: there is a direct connection with the airport (Madrid metro map: http://www.metromadrid.es/).
Prices and timetable information: +34 917 456300, http://www.continental-auto.es

If you need/want to stay the night in Madrid have a look at this informative thread with lots of recommendations for accommodation:

post19261.html?hilit=%20hostal%20madrid#p19261

Buen Camino

John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Gerry,
Welcome to the forum. I was in London, Ontario last weekend at Hospitalero Training offered by the Canadian Pilgrims. What a wonderful group it is! If you are not already familiar with the members I would highly recommend looking them up when you return.

You've already been offered some great advice regarding your travel plans. I will only add that I tood the 18h train to Pamplona on the evening before starting my Camino and Sil is correct. I saw none of the things she mentioned.

When I do my next Camino, I intend to look for all those things... I think Sil needs to write a guidebook! There is so much to see and do besides just the walking!

Buen Camino,

Hi Deirdre - I already have the Canadian Company of Pilgrims badge sewn on my pack. I will look them up after my return. I do hope to see some of Pamplona before continuing. I expect to spend at least a day there. I appreciate Sil and John's advice on travel to there. It was exactly what I needed. I think I will be more ready to do some sightseeing in Madrid after the pilgimage and am not sure I would benefit from hanging around in Madrid for a day or so at the beginning. I expect to be jet-lagged. If I can find a flight that gets me to Pamplona, I can set out to track my sister and her friend down. We have a backup plan to show up at a predetermined place every two hours (the established seeker waiting for the lost one - me I guess). The money spent on a more or less randomly picked hotel in Madrid will probably pay for a plane ticket. I realized how long it has been since my last visit to Europe when I went to get euros at the local currency exchange - It wasn't that many years ago, but we were still using francs for currency an a tour of France. I have spent most of my travel time over the last 4 or 5 years in SE Asia, central and South America, and bits of the Pacific. Thanks for the good words and advice. Gerry.

I still finish the 15 miles walking like a wounded crab

What a great desciption! I know exactly what you mean..............

I am sure the excitement and adrenalin will provide you with unexpected surges of energy. In the early stages you will also see plenty of folk looking like very unfit wounded crabs and that will help make you feel very good about your own physical state!

The tapas in Pamplona are sublime so take time to enjoy them.

Good luck Gerry.

Kind regards, Laura

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.